Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Contemplating a 2021 Scout except for one thing... worried about the tank.

6K views 70 replies 39 participants last post by  litos 
#1 ·
Love the looks - size - really everything about the Scout ABS. I am just worried about the tank.

My current bike is a 2002 Yamaha VStar 650. It has I think over a 4 gal tank. I usually stop every 100 to 120 miles and drop 3 gallons and a bit in the tank. Only thing I don't like about my current bike is drum brake in the back and no 6th gear. Things in Texas get a bit buzzy on my 650 doing 80 mph.

From what I can tell the Scout with ABS brakes and a 6th gear will be a fairly good upgrade for me.

Only question though is that tank. In general will I still be able to get 100 to 120 at the most miles out of a tank on a scout? I am thinking yes - but thought I would reach out the you Scout owners and get the real scoop to but my mind at ease.

Thank you all in advance.

#3 ·
Love the looks - size - really everything about the Scout ABS. I am just worried about the tank.

My current bike is a 2002 Yamaha VStar 650. It has I think over a 4 gal tank. I usually stop every 100 to 120 miles and drop 3 gallons and a bit in the tank. Only thing I don't like about my current bike is drum brake in the back and no 6th gear. Things in Texas get a bit buzzy on my 650 doing 80 mph.

From what I can tell the Scout with ABS brakes and a 6th gear will be a fairly good upgrade for me.

Only question though is that tank. In general will I still be able to get 100 to 120 at the most miles out of a tank on a scout? I am thinking yes - but thought I would reach out the you Scout owners and get the real scoop to but my mind at ease.

I fill my Scout to the top and routinely get 150 + miles before my reserve light comes on. I once got 170 + before the tank ran totally dry.

#4 ·
Yup I second and third this. Also why do you want an ABS bike? I have one and I can tell you I absolutely hate the amount of brake line up front because of the ABS system. One reason, they aren't black and stick out like a sore thumb and two...there's twice as many lines. One that goes from the master cylinder to I'm guessing the abs pump and one from the abs pump to the caliper. Looks like a big mess up front. Just my two cents. Now if you want the matte black bike and a couple of other colors you have no choice.

#14 ·
Yeah, to break it in and expand/contract the piston rings I rode mine like I stole it and varied the RPM constantly. Its broke in now so more of a calm and steady throttle. I can ride a hundred miles, stop for gas and its only taking gallon and a half to 3/4. So you should see improvement in mpg.

#11 ·

I can go 150 miles on a tank before my light comes on. We generally fill up around 120 miles.

The Scout is an AWESOME bike. I am 52 and have owned dozens of bikes.

After buying the Scout, I sold my $26,000 Chieftain because I never rode it any more.

Can't say enough about the Scout!

#15 ·
Agreed. I’m on Scout #2 and it is far and away my favorite in a long line of rides that included much bigger, faster bikes, I.E., Bandit 1200S, Victory Gunner, Triumph Rocket III, ETC. It’s light, quick, comfy (especially with the 1920 seat, for me,) and won’t be a handful if you choose to explore a dirt road or two. Plus, you can fettle it to be whatever you need it to be. Mine’s set up as a solo tourer and is all-day comfortable.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#23 ·
Read the line about ABS and Black out parts, 1 month ago I bought a Scout 60 2017 411 miles, Forks were PAINTED black. I am upgrading front springs, oil (20 wt) and new seals. The amount of black paint chips is crazy it is like sludge, forks seals were leaking as I am replacing them. DON'T PAINT the Fork Shaft. I don't think any bike Guy (gal) would. I did the oil change at 500 miles with an $80.00 Indian Kit full syn. oil. Not bad. two drain plugs. Yep 120 miles low fuel with high test.

#28 ·
In DFW and I fill up every 100 miles or so. Never had the low fuel light come on so I’m sure you can get, at the very least, the low end of your desired range. Helps living a mile from a gas station also. I always fill up with 93 octane. I think you will love this bike, but I’m, of course, biased!

#29 ·
My wife just finished breaking in her Scout. She's consistently getting 50+ mpg on beautiful East Texas sweeping, slightly hilly roads. Based on where we ride, she's certain she can get at least 140 between fill ups even against the wind.

Coming at this from a different angle... We've both been riding over 15 years in groups and as a duo. Everything from South Dakota to Colorado to Tennessee and all over our beloved Texas. I can't imagine EVER wanting to be in the saddle more than two hours at a time without a break, regardless of how nice the ride or scenery is. Even with nice aftermarket seats and generous drinking cups, when we travel over 150 miles a leg, it honestly can get monotonous. For that reason, my wife doesn't see a smaller tank as a limitation. She sees reasonable breaks as a natural part of a healthy riding rhythm. The Iron Butt trophy has never been on our bucket list. YMMV (y)

To sum it up, I don't think either of us would see a four-gallon tank as an impediment to riding. Hope you find what you're looking for and have a great time.

#31 ·
I get 45 MPG around town in my Scout Bobber, and 56 MPG on the road. I typically fill up (with fuel light flashing) at about 125 miles when I'm dinking around town, and typically go around 150 on the highway before the fuel light starts.

#36 ·
I put 16,000 on my 2018 Scout 60 and have over 20,000 on my 2020 Scout 69. I drive backroads and state routes almost exclusively, weigh +/- 250 pounds, and consistently get around 140-150 miles before my low-fuel warning light comes on. I swear some of you folks with the light coming on much sooner just CAN’T be filling your tanks up all the way.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.