Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi any feedback is appreciated. I'm considering buying a nearly new to new Scout Bobber. Would be my 3rd bike and while I've not checked them out yet, I love the look and specs, would probably be a better bike for me than my current beast. Very general questions, hoping some owners can respond thanks..

Are there any mechanical upgrades people find "necessary?" In other words any shortcomings mechanically/design wise?

Does she ride smooth in 6th gear at 70mph ish? What RPM in 6th gear at 70mph?

Is she tame sounding all stock? Aftermarket intakes and exhausts for good sound?

·
Registered
148 Posts
It’s a great bike and you’ll have a lot of fun if you get it. Here’s my 2 cents:

The seat is the only major must-have upgrade in my opinion. Lots of options out there but plan to spend $300-600 depending on how fancy you get. The stock seat is miserable.

I’d suggest a test ride with the stock handlebars too. It has more of a sport bike feel which some are okay with. Many others swap for something less aggressive, especially for longer rides.

She’s smooth well beyond 70, even under hard acceleration. Roll-ons from that speed are surprisingly fun. The scout engine is higher-revving than your typical air-cooled v-twin. This means it tends to prefer 2800-3200 even just cruising around. You’ll be close to that range at 70 (don’t remember exact number but you can calculate it).

It’s relatively tame with the stock intake and exhaust. Most exhausts sound pretty good and can get quite loud. Swap the air box and she really roars. You’ll want a PV3 tuner from Fuelmoto if you go down this path. Easy to use and decent gains to be had.

·
Bronze member
2,006 Posts
What RPM in 6th gear at 70mph?
The Bobber 60 has slightly lower gearing than the 69, 4.087 vs 3.810 (2020) so RPM should be about 3800 @ 70 MPH for Sixty; and 3500 to 3600 for Sixty Nine.

That’s just a guess based on my 2015 Scout having a sixth gear of 4.034:1, which does about 3700 RPM at 70 mph (speedo indicated).
Someone else would have to confirm these numbers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
May I suggest you check this forum for discussions about the suspension. The bobber in particular has very limited rear shock travel and many riders have replaced the rear shocks fairly quickly. Indian have tried to improve the stock suspension in recent models - front fork cartridges and progressive rear springs - so be aware that the newer the bike, the more likely the updated suspension.
In the end there is no substitute for actually riding the bike and making up your own mind about its shortcomings. Some people are perfectly happy with the oem saddle and others are just as unhappy - rather depends on your weight, age, and how you use the bike (long distances v. pootlin around).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2018 Scout Bobber for sale in the for sale forum. I recently put the comfort seat on it and it is a great upgrade for $250. I put a fairing on it and have no troubles with wind.the fastest ive gone on a highway is 80 but shell do alot more than that. I am doing 55 in third gear at around 4000 rpm. There is an RPM cut out switch at 8000 rpm i believe but if you make it to sixth gear at 8000 RPM youll be flying not riding.lol. With the comfort seat and shocks adjusted right its not a bad ride in my opinion. from twisties to highway i enjoy the ride. i have ridin two up and its good for that also. Me and the wife are heavy set but had no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2020 Scout Bobber about 3 months ago. This forum is my go-to resource. My .02. 1) Unless you're below 150 lbs, you'll want a better seat. The OEM comfort seat is pretty damn good, but others on here will roll with Corbins, etc. too. 2) The shocks aren't too bad on the 2020 and they have Pirelli tires so the ride is better than prior years. 3) As one forum member noted, the stock exhaust makes it sound like a Jetsons space taxi at idle. It's both quiet and not too sexy. I went the V&H slash cut route with quiet baffles and it's 10x better.

You can't go wrong with the bike. It's power and ride and fun factor are fantastic. I find myself creating random errands so that I can go look at it in the garage more than is actually healthy and ride whenever it's sunny.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bought my Scout 2nd hand with 2,400 kms (1,500 miles) on the clock. The 1st owner had put Kuryarkyn exhaust, wire wheels EJK kit, and much more. I got it around AUD$7½k under along with the mag wheels, panniers & parcel shelf with the balance of the new bike warranty which was around 2½ years.

The Scout is fantastic and pulls like a train, after some more mods it's now got 106 HP at the back wheel on the dyno. I also upgraded to LED headlight, Nitron rear shocks and Race Tech Gold Emulators and springs.

I can't see the value in a new bike or car when you can get them with low Ks or miles on them in mint condition.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Does she ride smooth in 6th gear at 70mph ish? What RPM in 6th gear at 70mph?

Is she tame sounding all stock? Aftermarket intakes and exhausts for good sound?
3600rpm at 70mph for me.

She's very tame sounding all stock - sounds more like the "whir" of a sewing machine to me. There are plenty of after market options out there now for intake and exhaust - there's a bunch of threads on this forum discussing them with links to video/audio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts