Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am looking at a 2014 Vintage with 8500 miles on it at a local Indian dealer. I just joined the forum today so I could do my homework. I have always ridden Japanese bikes including Vtwins. I am currently on a 2009 Yamaha Stratoliner but that bike was discontinued several years ago and parts are getting harder to find. Are there any glaring issues with the Vintage that I should be looking for when I test ride the bike? I have never been a HD fan but I really like the looks of the Indians. Thanks for any input.

Marty

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a used ‘14 vintage 3 years ago. I’m now at 45k+ miles and rolling along just fine. So far, I’ve only had to adjust the clutch plus standard basic maintenance like oil, brakes, light bulbs and tires. It had some factory warranty left when I bought it and I never needed to use it.

Check engine light comes on periodically, then goes out (Usually goes out after a restart). Oddly, this is becoming far less frequent.

Only thing, if you’re riding two up and/or touring with extra weight, I’d consider a shock upgrade.

Ive done several trips and I wouldn’t hesitate to take off across the country at any given moment.

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Vintage
164 Posts
This is my 2014 Vintage which I bought used roughly 1.5 years ago. It has 44K miles and I put 20K on it so far. I ride every weekend between 200-300 miles. So far problem free and a joy to ride. I love the bike and vintage look. Definitely add the Road Master air shock.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There are some upgrades to the bikes over the years, two of which you might care to check for noise.

A number of early owners complained of an engine noise they called 'clacking' at certain rpm. I don't think it was a majority of owners but there was a lot of talking about it and Indian fobbed it off as normal for a long while. A forum search will give you more details. I think it was 2018 when the pistons were changed to quieten the motor and clacking is no longer an issue appearing on the forum.

The second noise thing concerns the cam chain tensioner. The early models would sometimes jam and the chain would start to slap. There have been two upgrades and the new tensioner is very beefy compared to the original and does not jam up. It's a relatively cheap and easy part to swap if it becomes a problem.

There were some early bikes with a failed VCM which had to be replaced. It caused electrical problems but I can't remember details. A forum search or a conversation with an Indian service manager should give you more info. I don't think it was a lot of bikes but it's a significant part to have to replace. I don't know when the upgraded VCM was introduced.

The motors have proven to be robust and there are members on here who have high mileage bikes with no troubles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just don't expect it to perform as quite well as your Liner. I own a Roadliner and just got a new 2018 Chief. The 111 seems a little weak compared to the 113, and the suspension isn't as good (IMO). I'm going to put pipes, air filter and cams in it and hope it wakes up. Still, the Indian is a fine machine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ride a '14 Vintage. No issues. Couple cosmetic issues (Chrome peeling on kickstand and power button ring, covered by warranty). Had the bike 6 years with no issues on the gear position switch. Indian dogged me about replacement, saw some people who had problems with the recall replacement. Talked to one of the mechanics, who said some dealers don't know what they're doing, so I had the replacement done a couple of weeks ago. No problem.
Yeah, the real leather does take some upkeep but it looks great and I get tons of compliments about it almost every time I ride.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Vintage
164 Posts
Just don't expect it to perform as quite well as your Liner. I own a Roadliner and just got a new 2018 Chief. The 111 seems a little weak compared to the 113, and the suspension isn't as good (IMO). I'm going to put pipes, air filter and cams in it and hope it wakes up. Still, the Indian is a fine machine.
I added stage 1 intake & exhaust w/fishtips along with cams. A real improvement all around. I definitely recomend those upgrades.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also came from an 2009 liner.both great machines and reliable but certainly different. You'll find similar stretched out comfort, you'll enjoy the 6th gear on vintage but give up the brute power of the 113. Mind u the 111 ain't bad but the liner is a beast period. I Love the leather and look and lots of admiration and curiosity when your on a vintage. The liner is a damn fine machine that was under appreciated and Yamaha let the ball drop. I still miss it since it had a distinct look and it slapped many a fool that had no idea how strong that 113 was bone stock I'm sure u know what I mean. But the vintage is indeed a sweet ride. Yamaha wanted out of the big twin market while Indian is all in. You won't regret moving over as many stratoliner and roadliner owners came over to Indian after waiting years for Yamaha to give us the next liner generation with nothing coming. They brought out the Eluder which was pretty much rejected by almost everyone. Just get ready for the admiration and gawking :p
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

·
Registered
190 Posts
I specifically bought the 14 Vintage because I wanted real leather and I liked all of the badges that came stock on it. I rode Yamaha's all of my life and was shocked when they dropped the ball on so many good bikes. The Vintage is the finest bike I've ever ridden and I find the balance and comfort to be amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is my 2014 Vintage which I bought used roughly 1.5 years ago. It has 44K miles and I put 20K on it so far. I ride every weekend between 200-300 miles. So far problem free and a joy to ride. I love the bike and vintage look. Definitely add the Road Master air shock.

Thanks gorgeous bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also came from an 2009 liner.both great machines and reliable but certainly different. You'll find similar stretched out comfort, you'll enjoy the 6th gear on vintage but give up the brute power of the 113. Mind u the 111 ain't bad but the liner is a beast period. I Love the leather and look and lots of admiration and curiosity when your on a vintage. The liner is a damn fine machine that was under appreciated and Yamaha let the ball drop. I still miss it since it had a distinct look and it slapped many a fool that had no idea how strong that 113 was bone stock I'm sure u know what I mean. But the vintage is indeed a sweet ride. Yamaha wanted out of the big twin market while Indian is all in. You won't regret moving over as many stratoliner and roadliner owners came over to Indian after waiting years for Yamaha to give us the next liner generation with nothing coming. They brought out the Eluder which was pretty much rejected by almost everyone. Just get ready for the admiration and gawking :p View attachment 602970 View attachment 602992
Thanks and those are both sweet looking bikes. I have been really happy with the Strat especially after having Ivan reflash the ECU and opening up the airbox. Rides like a different bike.

·
Bronze member
2,293 Posts
Well, the Yamaha 113 is certainly one of the stronger contenders.
But my friends Raider (stock, no mods except some exhaust hack for sound) is not as aggressive as my cammed and tuned Classic 111!
I test rode his as well, just to see if he is holding back, but nope ... the Raider though torquey ran against the rev limiter quite often in the lower gears...
My impression: different gearing and different powerband!

So ... a cammed and tuned 111 makes you happy, don't worry

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks and those are both sweet looking bikes. I have been really happy with the Strat especially after having Ivan reflash the ECU and opening up the airbox. Rides like a different bike.
Yup that simple Ivan refresh is best spent money on the 113. I also had the impossible to find roadhouse exhaust and man that thing could move. But we all waited for a six speed and some modern electronics like new windshield with integrated GPS and cruise and they did zip. For the money

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to the local Indian dealer to look at that bike. He wasn't sure if they had it and it took a few minutes to track it down being serviced for a charging issue. I may as well have been a pile of walking dogshit wanting to check the bike out. Salesman barely said 2 words to me and acted like I had messed his morning up by coming in. Did nothing to try to sell or even present the brand. First and last time I will step foot in that place. There are a couple of other dealers within a 2 1/2 hour ride so I will keep an eye on their inventory and pay them a visit. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Marty - I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at the local dealer. The Vintage is a solid bike and perhaps my favorite of the lineup even though I've not owned one. I bought a Springfield and am now on a Chieftain. To echo what others have said, I'd upgrade the rear shock to one from a Roadmaster, Chieftain or Springfield. I'd also carry a tire tube with me in case of a flat. The laced wheels are not tubeless. Hopefully you find one and it works out. Take care - Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Went to the local Indian dealer to look at that bike. He wasn't sure if they had it and it took a few minutes to track it down being serviced for a charging issue. I may as well have been a pile of walking dogshit wanting to check the bike out. Salesman barely said 2 words to me and acted like I had messed his morning up by coming in. Did nothing to try to sell or even present the brand. First and last time I will step foot in that place. There are a couple of other dealers within a 2 1/2 hour ride so I will keep an eye on their inventory and pay them a visit. Thanks for all the comments.
Here is an incredible deal!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts