Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background info: I ride 99% of the time 2-up with my wife. We've been through a shit ton of bikes over the last couple years ('98 Fat Boy, '12 Heritage, '13 Road Glide Ultra, '13 Heritage [don't ask!], '11 XC, '14 Vision Tour) - she has chronic pain issues and what's comfortable for some people isn't for her. We've had extensive mods made to the Vision's passenger area, but as designed it's still too narrow and shallow for her (who the hell was it designed for anyway? She's not stick think but she's not THAT plus-size either...).

So yesterday we test rode a Roadmaster. Passenger area is flat and wide and deep (the Vision has a huge "lip" or "bump" at the back of the passenger seat that reduces available area and also puts pressure on the tailbone area). Typically when we test-ride a bike she says "eh, it's ok with some mods maybe." But this, she liked, a lot.

The suspension is a noticeable, huge refinement over about anything else on the road. Everything else is nice too.

So we're thinking of doing it - and I'm curious - has anyone else gone from a Vision Tour to a Roadmaster? And what are your observations/comments/etc if so? :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
A little background info: I ride 99% of the time 2-up with my wife. We've been through a **** ton of bikes over the last couple years ('98 Fat Boy, '12 Heritage, '13 Road Glide Ultra, '13 Heritage [don't ask!], '11 XC, '14 Vision Tour) - she has chronic pain issues and what's comfortable for some people isn't for her. We've had extensive mods made to the Vision's passenger area, but as designed it's still too narrow and shallow for her (who the hell was it designed for anyway? She's not stick think but she's not THAT plus-size either...).

So yesterday we test rode a Roadmaster. Passenger area is flat and wide and deep (the Vision has a huge "lip" or "bump" at the back of the passenger seat that reduces available area and also puts pressure on the tailbone area). Typically when we test-ride a bike she says "eh, it's ok with some mods maybe." But this, she liked, a lot.

The suspension is a noticeable, huge refinement over about anything else on the road. Everything else is nice too.

So we're thinking of doing it - and I'm curious - has anyone else gone from a Vision Tour to a Roadmaster? And what are your observations/comments/etc if so? :)
Yes I have with a 2013 wing in between. I was always looking for that certain level of comfort and refinement. The vision had the driver seat over the wing but the pass seat was too small for the queen especially with a driver backrest no way. The suspension was way better than the wing. The heat coming off the pipe by my right leg was killing me and even melted my rainsuit. The switches were cheezy. So I went back to a wing, the 2013. Took it for its 4500 mi oil change and the dealer also sold Indian. Uh oh , look at that red and cream road master ; damn. Sooooo I test rode the roadmaster and it was hot and vibrated. The salesman said no way ; try anotherone !!!!! I did and it was different ???? The wind mgt is way better than the wing and the vision. Not getting buffeted to death and that pipe heat is not on my leg. Bluetooth kicks ass ; I have sena headsets. Probably gonna get another helmet as the exhaust echos in mine.
The power is smoother than the vision and the torque is great ; not constantly shifting , just twist the throttle. Gotta get a backrest but Indians price is stupid. The queen hasnt gotten on it yet but pillion reviews say its really nice and has adjustable foot rests. They all have trade offs so you have too find what fits your needs.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I went from a 12 Vision Tour to the Roadmaster. The Roadmaster does give my wife more room than the Vision did and she is happy with the ride and comfort level. Myself I find the Vision a wee bit more comfortable for the rider but all considered I'll keep the Roadmaster!

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, another vote for the Roadmaster having more passenger room.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My wife has chronic back pain too, and if momma ain't happy nobody is happy. We came off the XC Tour. She thought that was pretty comfortable....until we did a demo ride on the Roadmaster. When she sat on the Roadmaster co-pilot seat for 20 minutes the first thing she said was she loves the seat and backrest. The second thing she said was, "When are we buying this?" Of course it helped that she already loved Indians.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No longer "considering," it's a definite now - just have to make the financials work.

Did another test ride yesterday (yes, in 28* weather), after having test ridden a '15 H-D Ultra Limited an hour earlier. The Rushmore bikes are indeed nice but in the end there is no comparison. Roadmaster is amazing.

(Awesome thing is, the Limited flared up my wife's pain fairly badly, but we still did the RM test ride after and it did not worsen it which is somewhat amazing.)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to put ink to paper this AM. :)

Reactions: Roll On and Poppa P

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never driven a Victory so wouldn't know about driver or passenger comfort. I do own a 2009 Indian Vintage that I hoped would occupy my time more than the 2008 Harley Ultra in 2009 but when hauling a passenger I used the Harley.

In 2008 and a week after buying that Ultra, I disliked it but struggled with the idea I've been a HD owner since age 18 with a chopped Pan. Now, age 62 I immediately liked the feel of the Chieftain when I was at Sturgis in 2013 and bought in to Polaris and the upgrade.

I test rode the Roadmaster in August when the trailer was at it's 3rd stop after Sturgis and didn't see a difference between that and the Chieftain for performance but again was a driver...not a passenger. I had since put a backrest on the Chieftain and took a passenger who had originally sat on the HD Ultra and she liked the ride...besides the look of course.

Literally I've disliked the feel of the Harley since a week after buying it in 2008 with the limited leg room, handlebars, vibration and occasional stutter in performance and definitely the severe clunk when first starting out. The Chieftain offers more comfort whether foot shift reach or bars and having a passenger is barely noticeable. Although a HOG member for well over 20 years and reading teh recent issue doesn't alter my view that I just plain like the iconic Indian look and ongoing mystery behind the brand and hope it does succeed.

It isn't just the passenger you have to make happy. It's the driver who has either stepped up or been a long term supporter of the name that has to be happy. Comfort whether in town or on the road is vital that goes along with safety. Nice to see others recognizing that advantage.

·
3,395 Posts
Going to put ink to paper this AM. :)
You won't regret it. I don't think you could find a better bike for 2 up riding. I was a little cramped on the Chieftain but much more comfortable on the RM (I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs). The passenger area was not designed as an afterthought. Great seat and backrest with individual seat heat controls and you can adjust the passenger floorboards to fine tune it the way she wants it. All that and the air strut adjustment for the weight change. I could have bought a cheaper bike but would have had to add features to help accommodate her. With the RM you just saddle up and go. For the summer months you got 3 bolts on each leg fairing and you can remove them and have a built in foot rest with the step in the engine guard. What's not to like! Dean E

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's not the bike that makes it comfortable or uncomfortable for a passenger; it's the seat. For ultimate comfort I always went for a Russell Daylong google the name.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not the bike that makes it comfortable or uncomfortable for a passenger; it's the seat. For ultimate comfort I always went for a Russell Daylong google the name.
I'm quite familiar with Russel - that's a love it/hate it type thing there, and from all I've read, it would be a "hate it" for both of us.

We had expensive seat mods made to the Vision (as I said in the OP...) but the design of the bike really controls a lot of how the passenger area is and there's not a lot that can be done about it. It's a very, very unique thing going on back there. Great bike in a lot of ways but in the end the Roadmaster is going to be far better for us.

·
4,503 Posts
As did I Army Voyager. From a 2012 Vision Tour to a 2014 Chieftain to a 2015 Roadmaster. I love all three but I love the Roadmaster the most. My wife likes it a lot as well, even more than the Vision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts