Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas Just Looking For A Simple Honest Answer.
Do I Need To Change Valve Springs If I'm Installing Lloydz 558 Cams ???
Not Interested In Any Other Cams But 558..
Im Not Racing Around Or, Hot Rodding Trying To Out Run HD.. Im Just A Tour Rider.. Please Advise

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Hi Fellas Just Looking For A Simple Honest Answer.
Do I Need To Change Valve Springs If I'm Installing Lloydz 558 Cams ???
Not Interested In Any Other Cams But 558..
Im Not Racing Around Or, Hot Rodding Trying To Out Run HD.. Im Just A Tour Rider.. Please Advise

Indian beefed up the valve springs on 2019 models and later. Prior to 2019 its recommended to upgrade valve springs if you use any other cams except the factory stage 2.

Many prior 2019's have Lloyds cams and are running fine. Also many prior 2019's have had valve springs break and grenade engines as well due to valve spring failure. Test on the factory valve springs prior to 2019 show that with most aftermarket cams the springs are being pushed beyond their limit or very close to it.

·
Bronze member
2,732 Posts
You can absolutely put 558's in any 111 (you do own a 111, right?)
As to whether you should then start your engine, ever,,,, well that depends..
As Baron58 correctly points out, with '18 and older 111's, you'll need to push yourself around (or be towed) when riding.. Maybe put it on a trailer, hop on it, and have someone drive you around ?

But you know what, to hell with the max lobe lift vs '18 and under coil bind mumbo-jumbo - I mean, who the heck really understands all that stuff anyway - go for it !
You know you want to.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Sorry I Have A 2018 Roadmaster 111
I have a 2016 Springfield with 558s. I recently had the updated valve springs installed.(not cheap) It was well worth the cost. Motor is quieter and runs smoother. I also have peace of mind on long trips. IMHO.

·
Bronze member
1,725 Posts
The 558's are almost as aggressive in their opening ramps as the STG3 and 585 cams. Max lift puts them in the SAME league as the STG3 cams and only about .020" LESS than the 585's. They ARE aggressive cams and the 558 is just a part nmbr and in NO WAY represents any aspect of cam specs.

SO....for ABSOLUTE 100% RELIABILITY DO NOT RUN THE 558'S on stock springs in 2014-2018 engines. Just don't.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow Ray I Really Trust Your Opinion...I was gonna have the cams installed last weekend, however i put the brakes on after surfing the net.
I did speak with a couple other Indian shops actually 3 of them and all have said personally they have not witnessed the spring issue. I'm probably going to set tight and just take the wait and see.

·
Bronze member
2,732 Posts
You chicken..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't call me chicken lol. After alot of thinking, and some chat with guys who have the 558's, plus a few conversations with other engine performance dealers / shops who've i agreed to not quote, im going to take the plunge and have Libertyville Indian install the Andrews cams he recommends with a fuel / moto controller.
I just cant get past the part where there has been hundreds of cams installed and if it was a disaster there would be post all over.. 1 shop told me they have done almost a 100 cam jobs and none have come back so far and he's not concerned. I'm going to accept all the info i've received and take the plunge..
I have an extended warranty and i was told if it breaks its under warranty even though i have aftermarket cams he could get it covered. I ride my Indian about 6,000 mikes a year so i will definitely post any issues i have.
Like my original post says i'm very easy on my bike, and I don't ride it hard so maybe i'll be ok.

I'm thinking maybe a poll on here for everyone that has had cams installed (i'm sure there's alot) if they have had any issues. Just my 2cents

·
Bronze member
2,732 Posts
So Libertyville is, apparently, gonna take care of you in the event of some kind of failure, and maintain your extended warranty.. Saweet ..

If you had let all those "shops" / grease monkeys / knuckle draggers talk you into 558's on '18 valve springs, you wouldn't be a chicken, you'd be something else entirely..

·
Rider
952 Posts
It's not just the issue of the springs breaking. There is also the issue of the springs eating away the valve seat and chewing up the head underneath. This is a silent killer. Unless you take the valve covers off and inspect for this you will not know it's happening until it's too late. There could be a lot of bikes out there with this issue and they don't even know they have it. I went with the Hansen Racing springs with the hardened base for this reason. But hey to each his own. Go ahead and roll the dice.

·
Bronze member
2,732 Posts
Yes Wind Horse, but the erosion of the bottom seat is caused by the sharp edge of the stock '18 and older valve springs when they are forced to operate outside of their "safe envelope"..
Hence, the problem is summarized as "18 and older valve springs"...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts