Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to install some mini apes from FMB Choppers.

The website says that for the Bobber, +2" cables are required for the 10" bars. I would like to just do 8" bars and not mess with switching out any cables or wiring, so here's where the confusion comes in.

I've seen posts from other members who installed 8" bars but still extended their cables, or had to add a couple inches to the wiring.

FMB tells me that nothing needs to be changed for 8" bars... basically just remove the old bars, install new bars, done.

I have a 2019 Bobber with ABS.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'd want to see a picture of an actual installation, or maybe a Youtube video of someone who did this. Should not be too hard to find a picture and some testimony of someone who put on that particular set of bars.
Maybe you don't have to extend the cables, but tight cables are a bad thing, and if you don't have enough to keep them hidden, extend them. I hate those bikes where the cables are in a straight line from the grips to the center of the bike.

Reactions: 111184

·
Registered
82 Posts
We installed 14 inch apes on my wife's 2019 ABS scout. The only thing we had to change was the clutch cable. Everything else worked just fine. We even bought new brake line but didnt use it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We installed 14 inch apes on my wife's 2019 ABS scout. The only thing we had to change was the clutch cable. Everything else worked just fine. We even bought new brake line but didnt use it.

That's perfect, thanks!

How much additional clutch cable did you need, and how tight was the brake line?

Do you happen to have any "after" photos?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brake line is fine. No problems there at all. The cable we used for clutch was mutch stiffer and about 6 inches longer. We are actually going to replace that with something smaller or less stiff. The way it is now my wife doesn't like how it is located high. Hard to explain. I will send photos later. At work now.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So I'm looking to install some mini apes from FMB Choppers.

The website says that for the Bobber, +2" cables are required for the 10" bars. I would like to just do 8" bars and not mess with switching out any cables or wiring, so here's where the confusion comes in.

I've seen posts from other members who installed 8" bars but still extended their cables, or had to add a couple inches to the wiring.

FMB tells me that nothing needs to be changed for 8" bars... basically just remove the old bars, install new bars, done.

I have a 2019 Bobber with ABS.
I’m one of those who installed FMB 8”
Mini apes on a 2019 Bobber with ABS. I changed the brake line and clutch cable with Indians extended kit. Your 2019 Bobber has a barrel fitting under the gas tank on left side of bike. The Indian extended kit also has that barrel fitting. You swap out the length of brake line between that fitting and the brake Mc/lever. Use a vacuum tank to bleed brakes if you have one. You do not need to remove the battery or go to the ABS if you do that. The clutch cable in the kit is very easy to swap. The Indian extended kit is like $105.00

Did I really need to change them with 8” bars, I’ll just say glad I did. As far as 2” wiring extensions. You will only need to do that if you run wires internal. All wires inside the control cubes on the 2019 are soldered. I decided to leave the wires alone and run external like the stock bars. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after reading MrPop's post above, as well as seeing a YouTube video of a guy installing extended reach Scout bars on his ABS Bobber (after rerouting the brake cable -- it apparently goes through and around various stuff beneath the speedo -- there was all kinds of slack left over), I believe the stock brake cable will fit. If not, or if it's tighter than I'm comfortable with, I'll order the cables kit and swap it out.

In the meantime, I have a +4 clutch cable on order from Barnett's, and a set of 10" Hell's Gate bars in satin black on order from FMB.

I also emailed David and noted I wanted the satin finish (no way to select finish during checkout), and he responded almost immediately confirming the satin finish, and said they should ship by Friday!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well, after reading MrPop's post above, as well as seeing a YouTube video of a guy installing extended reach Scout bars on his ABS Bobber (after rerouting the brake cable -- it apparently goes through and around various stuff beneath the speedo -- there was all kinds of slack left over), I believe the stock brake cable will fit. If not, or if it's tighter than I'm comfortable with, I'll order the cables kit and swap it out.

In the meantime, I have a +4 clutch cable on order from Barnett's, and a set of 10" Hell's Gate bars in satin black on order from FMB.

I also emailed David and noted I wanted the satin finish (no way to select finish during checkout), and he responded almost immediately confirming the satin finish, and said they should ship by Friday!

Let us know how it turns out. You didn’t mention anything about set pin holes for the cubes. The FMB’s are not predrilled so be prepared for that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't know if these pictures will help or not, but here is 14" apes with only having to change out the clutch cable. Please excuse the poor pictures and messy garage https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190814
I was trying to show how we ran all the cables and wires. We have plenty of room for everything. Good luck!
/bbe70031930e730bcfee0b05ef370c94.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,762 Posts
badtoyz claims the apehangers caused his bike to go into a speed wobble.
If your bike goes into a speed wobble also, then there may be something to that. (rather doubt that it would, but something did upset his bike).

·
Registered
861 Posts
badtoyz claims the apehangers caused his bike to go into a speed wobble.
If your bike goes into a speed wobble also, then there may be something to that. (rather doubt that it would, but something did upset his bike).
Probably the 100+ mph pissed it off. Mine are 8”, and I never go that fast. Doing that anywhere beside a track or drag strip is foolish at best IMO. But that’s just me. Not only does it put ones self at risk (a personal choice) but a potential innocent that might be in the way of a spill.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably the 100+ mph pissed it off. Mine are 8”, and I never go that fast. Doing that anywhere beside a track or drag strip is foolish at best IMO. But that’s just me. Not only does it put ones self at risk (a personal choice) but a potential innocent that might be in the way of a spill.
Yeah, I have no intentions of doing the speeds that guys have posted about getting a wobble.

Between 75-80mph is about as fast as I go, and that's flowing with rush hour interstate traffic.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I did the same install on mine as the one you saw in the YouTube video. I routed the brake line under the speedo and installed a 3" extended clutch cable from barnett. The only thing that gave me some trouble was the mirrors on the ends. I found a solution from revzilla along with extended bolts from Fastenal. I can get you the part numbers if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't know if these pictures will help or not, but here is 14" apes with only having to change out the clutch cable. Please excuse the poor pictures and messy garage https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190814
I was trying to show how we ran all the cables and wires. We have plenty of room for everything. Good luck!
/bbe70031930e730bcfee0b05ef370c94.jpg

That’s a regular Scout correct? If you look on Indians site the 10” they sell work with existing cable and line. Evidently up to 14” as you have installed. However for a Bobber the instructions from Indian is clear that extended cable and line are needed for their 10” mini apes.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah, I have no intentions of doing the speeds that guys have posted about getting a wobble.

Between 75-80mph is about as fast as I go, and that's flowing with rush hour interstate traffic.
Another reasonable man, lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That’s a regular Scout correct? If you look on Indians site the 10” they sell work with existing cable and line. Evidently up to 14” as you have installed. However for a Bobber the instructions from Indian is clear that extended cable and line are needed for their 10” mini apes.
Yes regular 2019 scout abs. Yes anything over the reduced reach bars, indian says have to extend everything. But obviously only the clutch cable

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with 10 inch mercenary bars. I used the extended clutch and brake line kit from indian. Because mine is an 18 I had to remove everything to get to the abs unit for the longer brake line. And I definitely needed more length. I decided not to cut the wires and just cable tied them to the clutch and brake lines. Theres plenty of slack in the wiring and I'm happy with how it looks. The wobble is gone now just by adjusting the bars back a little bit. Took me about 8 hours. Bleeding the front is a breeze compared to the back. And 2 of those hours were fucking around trying to get the stock grips off. Man those things are on there good.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with 10 inch mercenary bars. I used the extended clutch and brake line kit from indian. Because mine is an 18 I had to remove everything to get to the abs unit for the longer brake line. And I definitely needed more length. I decided not to cut the wires and just cable tied them to the clutch and brake lines. Theres plenty of slack in the wiring and I'm happy with how it looks. The wobble is gone now just by adjusting the bars back a little bit. Took me about 8 hours. Bleeding the front is a breeze compared to the back. And 2 of those hours were fucking around trying to get the stock grips off. Man those things are on there good.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I’m one of those who installed FMB 8”
Mini apes on a 2019 Bobber with ABS. I changed the brake line and clutch cable with Indians extended kit. Your 2019 Bobber has a barrel fitting under the gas tank on left side of bike. The Indian extended kit also has that barrel fitting. You swap out the length of brake line between that fitting and the brake Mc/lever. Use a vacuum tank to bleed brakes if you have one. You do not need to remove the battery or go to the ABS if you do that. The clutch cable in the kit is very easy to swap. The Indian extended kit is like $105.00

Did I really need to change them with 8” bars, I’ll just say glad I did. As far as 2” wiring extensions. You will only need to do that if you run wires internal. All wires inside the control cubes on the 2019 are soldered. I decided to leave the wires alone and run external like the stock bars. Good luck.

The only wires that need extending, even with internal wiring are the 2 wires that connect to the clutch/brake perch switches. There is more than enough wiring bundled up inside the headlight nacelle to reach otherwise.

Also for internal wiring you don't need to cut anything on either 2018 or 2019 bobber. All you need is a small jeweler's screwdriver or similar tool to remove the pins from the connectors that are inside the headlight nacelle, don't touch the connections inside the cubes. Just be sure to record which color wire was in each location prior to disassembling the connectors. Then run them through the bars from the cube mounts down to the bar mount and plug them all back into their connectors and simply reconnect them to the main wiring harness. It's a bit of a pain but very doable.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The only wires that need extending, even with internal wiring are the 2 wires that connect to the clutch/brake perch switches. There is more than enough wiring bundled up inside the headlight nacelle to reach otherwise.

Also for internal wiring you don't need to cut anything on either 2018 or 2019 bobber. All you need is a small jeweler's screwdriver or similar tool to remove the pins from the connectors that are inside the headlight nacelle, don't touch the connections inside the cubes. Just be sure to record which color wire was in each location prior to disassembling the connectors. Then run them through the bars from the cube mounts down to the bar mount and plug them all back into their connectors and simply reconnect them to the main wiring harness. It's a bit of a pain but very doable.
Yes, I know the only wires that need extended are the two outside each cube. I said that a number of times in other threads on this subject. My internal wires in the cube are soldered. Didn’t think to look for connectors on other end of harness. No matter, job is done and on to other projects.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts