Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a 4 hour ride yesterday to start the break in on my Challenger. One oddity I saw was the compass randomly going crazy. I was driving north, and every few seconds the compass would bounce between NW and NE, and occasionally spin all the way around passing south. I was driving down a secondary highway, with only farmers fields around.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

·
Rider
1,192 Posts
You have anything magnetic attached to your bike by any chance? Or does it use the gps to tell which way you’re going?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have anything magnetic attached to your bike by any chance? Or does it use the gps to tell which way you’re going?
Negative on the magnetics. The GPS is correct.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My compass does that too...along with GPS occasionally tracking off the route. Same thing open highway no structural interference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I think it's software related. I noticed that it only happens when I'm driving north. I think the software is freaking out jumping from 359 to 0 degrees in programming.

·
Rider
871 Posts
The digital compass on your bike is a non magnetic device which uses the GPS information to establish direction. It can be limited by it's processing speed but unless you are like an obsessed cat watching a moth, it works quite accurately.

·
Bronze member
3,472 Posts
I went on a 4 hour ride yesterday to start the break in on my Challenger. One oddity I saw was the compass randomly going crazy. I was driving north, and every few seconds the compass would bounce between NW and NE, and occasionally spin all the way around passing south. I was driving down a secondary highway, with only farmers fields around.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Canadian triangle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts