Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last ride before the Indian was a 1999 Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie felt like a bigger bike to me in terms of parking lot handling. I was standing barely balls of my feet when stopped, so it was getting to be a hand full for me as my knees are not what they used to be. The Valkyrie was reasonably comfortable but the leg position restriction due to the engine was beginning to bother me. I could not find comfortable positioning between seat and bars and changed out seats and bar positions so many times in frustration. However, power and handling of the Valkyrie were excellent and in some ways surpassed the Chieftain that I now have. The Valkyrie had more power, a flat torque curve and was definitely quicker than the Chieftain. Handling was about equal to the Chieftain, but slightly less lean angle. I find the Chieftain much more comfortable to ride as well as more fun to ride. I'll miss my Valkyrie, but I love the new Chieftain.The Chieftain is a luxury ride with an endearing character that is unmatched.

Past bikes I've Owned:
2007 Road Star
2013 Honda F6B
2002 Road Star
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2004 GoldWing 1800
2003 Kawasaki Nomad
2004 Road Star
2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
1998 Valkyrie Tourer
1995 Virago 1100

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
My bike before my Chieftain was an H-D FLHTC......Going back to riding it is like getting on a smaller, less powerful, less ride comfort bike. They are different bikes. The Chieftain is better. I would not go back to the H-D for my main cruiser. We will see what the future holds for H-D if they come out with something better, but I feel pretty solid on my Choice of my Chieftain after 3 1/2 decades on Harleys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's good to hear all the positive things you guys have to say about the new Indians. I have nothing to compare to since I never owned a cruiser. I guess I am lucky to picked the right one to start with, because there is nothing to complain about. This bike looks just so beautiful next to my GS BMW and it's nice to have something totally different in my garage.
What can I say...I love it !!!

Reactions: builder

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Here are some of the reasons (other than the obvious ones) that I chose my Chieftain over the HD Ultra
1) Saddle height ( I can easily flat foot it with my 29 inch inseam)
2) I can get it off the kickstand with my left leg only ( could not do that with the Ultra)
3) Chrome extras that you have to pay HD for
4) Power windscreen
5) Extra warranty
6) $$$$$$$$$ to purchase
7) Extra CID that you have to pay HD for
8) Torque torque torque and more torque
9) Indian has great detail in the emblems etc

Don't get me wrong, not knocking HD , The Cheiftain was just more bang for the buck!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
my last bike before the chieftain was a VTX1800 S. Fun bike lots of power. She was top heavy though and didnt handle very well when going slow, The stock seat really sucked, so you had to change that first. Gas milage depended on how hard you rode her.lol. When I went to look and test ride the new Indians, I was going to ride all 3, but once I rode the Chieftain, I knew that was my bike, The way she handles and rides is like nothing else, and she does really well for gas mileage, even when i get on her.lol and for the ones who think the seat inst that good on the indian try a vtx seat, you will not complain again.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My last bike was a 2000 Road King. It was beautiful, fully enjoyable bike. In fact I was wondering if I had made the right choice after a week of owning the Chieftain. They are different is all I can say, the RK felt quicker and had a great mechanical feel to it. I think I had owned the RK for so long, rode it for thousands upon thousands of miles and had it set up exactly right. It was like an old friend.

But there comes a time when you see the cost of keeping the Twin Cam maintained and all the little things that it takes to keep an older HD reliable and safe, not to mention it wasn't the best Interstate hauler (running 75+ for extended periods felt like the engine wouldn't take many more years of that abuse).

The Chieftain is a better bike in every category. You get more for your money compared to an HD. It's beautifully styled and engineered. The more miles I rack up, the more I fall in love with it. I have a feeling this bike will become and old friend that will make me smile for years and years.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Last ride was a 2008 Vulcan. Loved it but now that i have a 2014 Chieftain, boy what a super smooth ride! The bike is amazing. When im not riding, i think about where i would lime to be! And it is on my bike heading anywhere!

·
Registered
544 Posts
My last ride before the Indian was a 1999 Honda Valkyrie. The Valkyrie felt like a bigger bike to me in terms of parking lot handling. I was standing barely balls of my feet when stopped, so it was getting to be a hand full for me as my knees are not what they used to be. The Valkyrie was reasonably comfortable but the leg position restriction due to the engine was beginning to bother me. I could not find comfortable positioning between seat and bars and changed out seats and bar positions so many times in frustration. However, power and handling of the Valkyrie were excellent and in some ways surpassed the Chieftain that I now have. The Valkyrie had more power, a flat torque curve and was definitely quicker than the Chieftain. Handling was about equal to the Chieftain, but slightly less lean angle. I find the Chieftain much more comfortable to ride as well as more fun to ride. I'll miss my Valkyrie, but I love the new Chieftain.The Chieftain is a luxury ride with an endearing character that is unmatched.
I'd sure like to see a pic of that Valkyrie. I love the [old] Valkyries. I really think Honda did an injustice to the legacy with the newest iteration.

Steve

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
There really is no comparison between my current bike and the scout. It's funny though how the style is a little similar though

1999 Suzuki marauder

The scout I'm getting

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My bike before my Chieftain was an H-D FLHTC......Going back to riding it is like getting on a smaller, less powerful, less ride comfort bike. They are different bikes. The Chieftain is better. I would not go back to the H-D for my main cruiser. We will see what the future holds for H-D if they come out with something better, but I feel pretty solid on my Choice of my Chieftain after 3 1/2 decades on Harleys.
I also think the Indian have a good range to choose from my Vintage is twice the bike the Harley Roadking was even with the design problem it has

·
Registered
796 Posts
Builder I to came from a H-D FLHTC and they are a lot smaller.I still have 2 Harley' s in the garage but the Chieftain is the main ride,the softail when finished is just a hotrod for fun.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lot of common things in this indian group. Loved my gold wing but engine too wide to get feet out(hip problem). Went to 13 road glide and loved it but a little high and after 20000 miles went to chieftain. Just feels safer and rear suspension so much better.. I kept 12 hd heritage because I just like it to run around but miss radio and cruise for longer rides. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. My kids got me a new indian leather vest with stuff all over the back which will allow me to not always have harley jackets on.... Now if indian could make a leather jacket that doesn't feel like a hundred pounds.....

·
Registered
796 Posts
Lot of common things in this indian group. Loved my gold wing but engine too wide to get feet out(hip problem). Went to 13 road glide and loved it but a little high and after 20000 miles went to chieftain. Just feels safer and rear suspension so much better.. I kept 12 hd heritage because I just like it to run around but miss radio and cruise for longer rides. I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. My kids got me a new indian leather vest with stuff all over the back which will allow me to not always have harley jackets on.... Now if indian could make a leather jacket that doesn't feel like a hundred pounds.....
I had a custom made jacket made 20 yrs ago because I could not find one to fit properly, still wear it today but am looking at an Aerostich 2 piece now.

·
Founding member
952 Posts
Difficult to compair to the 1977 Electra-Glide I rode for the last 20 years. The vibration was intense. Things always getting loose or falling off. The one thing I miss is the spring loaded Comfort-Flex seat. Much flatter and wider and way higher off the ground. The seat is my only complaint. Like the Roadmaster seat better but won't work with passenger backrest on Chief Classic.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Fast eddie I too have a 1977 FLH but could not part with it, over 100,000 miles and still going ,been rebuilt 3 times. Other than the AMF yrs its still old school harley .Them and pans are still the best sound .

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Aside from the difference in rake (with consequent turn radius) and seat height, what can you gentlemen tell me about the handling differences between the Chieftain and the Vintage? I am having difficulty in choosing which to order.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Aside from the difference in rake (with consequent turn radius) and seat height, what can you gentlemen tell me about the handling differences between the Chieftain and the Vintage? I am having difficulty in choosing which to order.
It is all about the music I have the Vintage it works for me it is about the look

1 - 20 of 26 Posts