Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we need a thread to list the off-the-shelf parts that can be used in place of the Indian/Polaris branded parts, which may be unavailable to order or just plain over priced. Bearings, seals, cables, bolts, etc. Part numbers and sources for the standard hardware items all in one thread. I'll be figuring out wheel bearings and seals pretty soon, since the dealership wants $85 EACH for bearings and $35 EACH for seals. I know that they are off the shelf items and available much cheaper.

I'll start it now with a known one,

Clutch cable. Barnett mfg. Standard cable for Chief/Vintage/Chieftain/Roadmaster P/N 101-40-10004. They can make extended cables in any length you want, just call 805-642-9435 and tell them what you need.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you know the number codes for the bearings and seals you can get them from your local bearing supplier.
That is exactly the point of this thread, to make that information available to everyone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is a great thread.
I had a rear tire and tube replaced at dealer
$ 500.00 later.
After that went looking.
Found replacements.
Close to $ 200.00 cheaper, for oem parts.
Did not try other opp.
Now bit of information.
Polaris has there hand in the cookie jar with regards to repairs on theses bikes.
Dealers are required to have a up charge to all parts sold.
Kinda like a general contractor that has the job and a sub contractor that gets the job.
The general get a up charge on the job, with out doing any of the work.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,070 Posts
The rear tire on my RM is the same size as the GW. The Bridgestone's tire that I ran on my old GW was way cheaper than the Dunlop the dealer put on after I had to replace one. Same weight load and speed rating.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, an update with some part numbers to add.

Chief rear pulley bearing.
Koyo P/N DAC3055W-3 exact same part can be found online for under $20.
The Polaris/Indian P/N is 3514795 and is about $70

Wheel bearings, front and rear use the same bearings and seals. 2 each on front and 2 bearings and one seal on the rear.
All Balls Racing sells the bearings and seals as a kit, 2 bearings and 2 seals, P/N 25-1382. I bought mine off Amazon.com for about $20 a set.
The Polaris/Indian P/N is 3514405 and they price it over $45 FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL BEARING, 2 per wheel plus seals.
The P/N on the bearing is NSK 6304DU, about $7 each at any bearing house.

Front brake pads.
EBC P/N FA347HH (requires 2 sets, 1 for each side) $30 each online.
Polaris/Indian P/N 2204196 $70 Each.

Rear brake pads.
EBC FA196HH $30 online
Polaris/Indian P/N 2203679 $70 Each.
The Nissin P/N is TT2701HH if you prefer the exact same part, relatively common and used by Brembo and Nissin, and found on many KTM, Honda, and other bikes. Can also be bought for about half Indian's price with some shopping around.

I'll post up more when I find them, meanwhile everyone else feel free to add to the list.

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
I think we need a thread to list the off-the-shelf parts that can be used in place of the Indian/Polaris branded parts, which may be unavailable to order or just plain over priced. Bearings, seals, cables, bolts, etc. Part numbers and sources for the standard hardware items all in one thread. I'll be figuring out wheel bearings and seals pretty soon, since the dealership wants $85 EACH for bearings and $35 EACH for seals. I know that they are off the shelf items and available much cheaper.

I'll start it now with a known one,

Clutch cable. Barnett mfg. Standard cable for Chief/Vintage/Chieftain/Roadmaster P/N 101-40-10004. They can make extended cables in any length you want, just call 805-642-9435 and tell them what you need.
will k&n 303 oil filter fit 15 chieftain? i was told it would

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone, speaking of cross-referencing I would greatly appreciate any & all on my 2002 Indian Spirit Deluxe w/ a 88' S&S Evo. motor, wet clutch primary, & 5-speed trans. Thanks. R.R.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Moderators, why isn't this thread a sticky? Seems like it's useful info and should be easier for everyone to find and might get more traction if it stayed at the top.

·
Rider
510 Posts
Would love to see this thread become a sticky!

Reactions: DaveTPilot

·
Registered
169 Posts
A great thread, Whizzbang! Moderators, please make a sticky for this is a great tool!
Oil filters for the Vintage: Bosch 3323, Fram PH 7317; Mobil M1-110. I have used the Bosch and Mobil filters no issues...

·
Founding member
1,505 Posts
A great thread, Whizzbang! Moderators, please make a sticky for this is a great tool!
Oil filters for the Vintage: Bosch 3323, Fram PH 7317; Mobil M1-110. I have used the Bosch and Mobil filters no issues...
Good info. I don't even remember which brand of filter I bought last time but I was at O'Reilys getting Mobil 1 oil and I just asked the guy if they had a cross reference for the Indian oil filter. He ran it and came out with one that was black and looked and felt exactly like the one from Indian and YES it was WAAAAY cheaper.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts