Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Proud Scout Owner! Gold Supporter!
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks (especially in Florida),

my wife and i will visit Florida in January, 01-25-17 - 02-08-17 to be exact.
Our Route is from Miami to Florida City (5 nights), Fort Myers (3 nights), Cocoa Beach (4 nights) and then back
to Miami South Beach for another two nights.
Are there any do´s and dont´s or something you can recommend?
For traveling around we have a rent car.
I like to visit Indian Motorcycles in Miami and Daytona Beach.
Or is there any other Dealer on the way, who is worth a visit?

Thanks in advance and season greetings from Germany

Reactions: ScotD

·
Registered
417 Posts
Unless you are looking to purchase a bike while you are here, I am not sure as to why you would want or need to visit more than one dealer. They all sell the same overpriced accessories at the same highly inflated price

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Yes .....stay away from those areas. I mean the Miami and surrounding areas. Traffic, congestion, and better know Spanish.
And put a chain on your wallet and leave all valuables at home. Head to the Keys. Head to the Gulf side. You will see..............been around FL for 29 years

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes .....stay away from those areas. I mean the Miami and surrounding areas. Traffic, congestion, and better know Spanish.
And put a chain on your wallet and leave all valuables at home. Head to the Keys. Head to the Gulf side. You will see..............been around FL for 29 years
Thanks Bwana6,

is it really that dangerous in the Miami Area? Maybe i should change my plans....

·
Rider
624 Posts
Miami is like any other place in the world its got some spots that even the locals wont go to.... you will have a great time just beware of your surrounding talk to the locals they will point you in the right direction. The beaches, night life, and restaurants are infamous. If you can take a ride up A1A and find your way up to St. Augustine that's a great spot (its the oldest city in the states). Also Cape Canaveral is close to Cocoa Beach a lot to see there. I also agree with Bwana6 the Florida Keys is a great spot to visit also

Lastly go to any dealership you wish if you see something you like buy it if you feel its overpriced don't

Enjoy Brother

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miami is like any other place in the world its got some spots that even the locals wont go to.... you will have a great time just beware of your surrounding talk to the locals they will point you in the right direction. The beaches, night life, and restaurants are infamous. If you can take a ride up A1A and find your way up to St. Augustine that's a great spot (its the oldest city in the states). Also Cape Canaveral is close to Cocoa Beach a lot to see there. I also agree with Bwana6 the Florida Keys is a great spot to visit also

Lastly go to any dealership you wish if you see something you like buy it if you feel its overpriced don't

Enjoy Brother
Thanks a lot Ordie Chief, i'll keep that in mind.

·
Bronze member
1,694 Posts

Our Route is from Miami to Florida City (5 nights), Fort Myers (3 nights), Cocoa Beach (4 nights) and then back

I am born and raised Miamian. This place sux. Florida city is not a place to visit as it is just a farming area, but it is the closest to getting into the Keys. South Beach is cool for those 2nites/days. Traffic down here is horrible, stay outa overtown/Brownsville/Miami proper. I don't go there. The Cubans are arrogant and rude and expect YOU to speak Spanish, so beware. Same with the Hatians.
Spend more time in those other places you mentioned or go elsewhere, you will have a better time.
You are welcome to visit my shop in Hallandale Beach, call if you like 954-455-9665

RACNRAY

Reactions: Roadie and Lekic

·
Registered
132 Posts
The in-laws live in Florida. I second the suggestion to go up A1A to St. Augustine. My personal experience is that there are some really great folks north of West Palm.

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The in-laws live in Florida. I second the suggestion to go up A1A to St. Augustine. My personal experience is that there are some really great folks north of West Palm.
Thanks a lot, Sawtooth

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am born and raised Miamian. This place sux. Florida city is not a place to visit as it is just a farming area, but it is the closest to getting into the Keys. South Beach is cool for those 2nites/days. Traffic down here is horrible, stay outa overtown/Brownsville/Miami proper. I don't go there. The Cubans are arrogant and rude and expect YOU to speak Spanish, so beware. Same with the Hatians.
Spend more time in those other places you mentioned or go elsewhere, you will have a better time.
You are welcome to visit my shop in Hallandale Beach, call if you like 954-455-9665

RACNRAY
Thank you, Racnray. What kind of Shop do you have??

·
Banned
5,398 Posts

RACNRAY
What about that hidden paradise called Liberty City ?

·
Bronze member
1,694 Posts
Thank you, Racnray. What kind of Shop do you have??
I have worked in the South Florida m/c industry for over 40 years and have owned my m/c shop for 26 years this month. I specialize in maintenance, custom fabrication, machine shop services, performance engine building, dyno tuning, all types of hi-po mods, suspension services, on and on. Been workin on Jap skoots my whole life, branched out into Harleys years ago and now Indians

What about that hidden paradise called Liberty City ?
YEA...forgot that but it's in Miami and is really also overtown. Just stay away from them all. I live and work in Broward county and I HATE to go south and cross that county line into Miami-Dade county, it's another friggin world.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Lekic

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
You forgot Davie..............the white trash capital of southern FL. On the gulf side we have New Port Richey...........aka New Port Roxey

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,
I live in the Florida City/ Homestead area, not too much to see here from a motorcycle. You can ride out to Flamingo- the ranger station in Everglades National Park- the road is usually empty, not much to see when you get out there- maybe a few crocodiles in the marina lagoon, but it will give you a pretty ride thru the tropical savanna that is the Everglades.
You should stop at Alabama Jacks restaurant/bar on Card Sound road it's on the water and manatees and dolphin sometimes swim by within 50 feet of the tables. Then continue your ride south down to Key West, that's a pretty scenic ride as long as the weather is good, this would be like riding a motorcycle int he Bahamas, just a road with bridges between islands for miles and miles.
The key here is avoiding Miami around rush hour.
Miami is not a very comfortable place for motorcycling, the traffic is stop and go and there are MANY aggressive/careless/clueless drivers.
South Beach is a big $$$ party area and you will see Lamborghini and Ferrari's everywhere, but the traffic is bad and it's tough to find a place to park... that said the beach is full of beautiful women nearly naked and often topless- and these are not 70 year old overweight women- we're talking 20-40 year old model types from Europe and south America coming here to show off their expensive plastic surgery- I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
Key Biscanye is an island paradise just 10 or 15 minutes away from Miami beach and has some really nice parks and beaches on it, Bill Baggs park is at the south end of this island and is a good place to visit a beach which is not super crowded or filled with boom boxes blaring Spanish rap music, no nudity here though.
Crossing the Everglades via Tamiami trail aka Alligator alley is worth doing (80 miles or so... I think), there is an old time bar and restaurant called the Rod and Gun club on the west end of this road in a little town called Everglades City. The Rod and Gun club has been there forever and is a nice place to have lunch or something.
That's all I can think of- sorry if it was all over the place, I'm damn tired.
Hope this helps.

·
Bronze member
1,694 Posts
You forgot Davie..............the white trash capital of southern FL. On the gulf side we have New Port Richey...........aka New Port Roxey
Davie is not that way as much any more, now a hustling bustling multi-cultural town that has grown a lot.

Hi,
I live in the Florida City/ Homestead area, not too much to see here from a motorcycle. You can ride out to Flamingo- the ranger station in Everglades National Park- the road is usually empty, not much to see when you get out there- maybe a few crocodiles in the marina lagoon, but it will give you a pretty ride thru the tropical savanna that is the Everglades.
You should stop at Alabama Jacks restaurant/bar on Card Sound road it's on the water and manatees and dolphin sometimes swim by within 50 feet of the tables. Then continue your ride south down to Key West, that's a pretty scenic ride as long as the weather is good, this would be like riding a motorcycle int he Bahamas, just a road with bridges between islands for miles and miles.
The key here is avoiding Miami around rush hour.
Miami is not a very comfortable place for motorcycling, the traffic is stop and go and there are MANY aggressive/careless/clueless drivers.
South Beach is a big $$$ party area and you will see Lamborghini and Ferrari's everywhere, but the traffic is bad and it's tough to find a place to park... that said the beach is full of beautiful women nearly naked and often topless- and these are not 70 year old overweight women- we're talking 20-40 year old model types from Europe and south America coming here to show off their expensive plastic surgery- I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
Key Biscanye is an island paradise just 10 or 15 minutes away from Miami beach and has some really nice parks and beaches on it, Bill Baggs park is at the south end of this island and is a good place to visit a beach which is not super crowded or filled with boom boxes blaring Spanish rap music, no nudity here though.
Crossing the Everglades via Tamiami trail aka Alligator alley is worth doing (80 miles or so... I think), there is an old time bar and restaurant called the Rod and Gun club on the west end of this road in a little town called Everglades City. The Rod and Gun club has been there forever and is a nice place to have lunch or something.
That's all I can think of- sorry if it was all over the place, I'm damn tired.
Hope this helps.
GOOD recommendations Jeff....if you wanna get together do some ridin let me know. I do take a ride down to :"Robert is Here": for a smoothie very now n then, another spot to recommend.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
13 Posts

In Miami, like others have suggested, check out the scenes at the art deco district of South Beach, also worth a look are:,Bayside (located Downtown) for waterfront shopping,& food, Coconut Grove has nice shops, bars and restaurants with great nightlife and of course Calle Ocho (8th Street) in Little Havana for outrageous and affordable Cuban food and flavor, for less crowded beaches check out Key Biscayne and its causeway. Traffic will make you suicidal throughout Dade County and parking is at a premium in both finding an available space and paying for it. I never feel threatened walking the streets in these popular places, however if you go off the beaten path it is fairly easy to find trouble.By far the most expensive city in Florida, but there is much to do and see, with a "like being in another country" appeal, just have to sludge through that traffic though.Nice place to visit......living there.....not so much.

Florida City is kind of an old Route 66 tourist type town located just south of the farming community of Homestead as you exit the Florida Turnpike and jump on US 1 to the Keys. The Coral Castle is a popular tourist attraction from that nostalgic era. My suggestion would be to briefly hit some sites in Florida City on the way out of Miami and continue south to the Upper Keys. I really enjoy Islamorada.about 40 miles south of Florida City If there hang at the Holiday Isle Beach Resort,MM83( free to all:the public, so not necessary to stay there) you'll find bars , pool, small beach, charter fishing docks, shops and restaurants. Many good motels, hotels and restaurants, offshore, inshore and bottom fishing charters are readily available in this area. Great vacation spot.

Ft. Myers has arguably the best beaches in the country. Sanibel Island is quiet and peaceful, good for getaways. Ft. Myers Beach is much more developed for tourism. Notice the difference in how fine the sand is on the FL west coast compared to the east.

Expect to get stuck in major traffic in Orlando on the way to Daytona, unless you travel an alternate route.Orlando does have two Indian dealers in the area the one near the airport is a huge Eagle Rider Facility,(i.e. lots of Harleys) with its volume of bikes is kinda different than your average dealer.

Daytona Indian is killer. They have a great location and usually some beautiful custom Indians that you just don't see at the typical dealer. Unfortunately Daytona Beach is kinda looking like that it has seen one too many bike weeks, spring breaks, and 500 races. The actual Int'l Raceway has just been renovated.however and is worth a visit to their museum.

Cocoa Beach is a sleepy beach town. Definitely check out Ron Jon Surf Shop. There is also an Indian dealer in Melbourne, FL just south of Cocoa. Its the only dealer around thee parts that I am aware of that sells only Indian ( no Victory,/Slingshot) which makes them a little unique. Not very big, though.

Hope you both enjoy your vacation here

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In Miami, like others have suggested, check out the scenes at the art deco district of South Beach, also worth a look are:,Bayside (located Downtown) for waterfront shopping,& food, Coconut Grove has nice shops, bars and restaurants with great nightlife and of course Calle Ocho (8th Street) in Little Havana for outrageous and affordable Cuban food and flavor, for less crowded beaches check out Key Biscayne and its causeway. Traffic will make you suicidal throughout Dade County and parking is at a premium in both finding an available space and paying for it. I never feel threatened walking the streets in these popular places, however if you go off the beaten path it is fairly easy to find trouble.By far the most expensive city in Florida, but there is much to do and see, with a "like being in another country" appeal, just have to sludge through that traffic though.Nice place to visit......living there.....not so much.

Florida City is kind of an old Route 66 tourist type town located just south of the farming community of Homestead as you exit the Florida Turnpike and jump on US 1 to the Keys. The Coral Castle is a popular tourist attraction from that nostalgic era. My suggestion would be to briefly hit some sites in Florida City on the way out of Miami and continue south to the Upper Keys. I really enjoy Islamorada.about 40 miles south of Florida City If there hang at the Holiday Isle Beach Resort,MM83( free to all:the public, so not necessary to stay there) you'll find bars , pool, small beach, charter fishing docks, shops and restaurants. Many good motels, hotels and restaurants, offshore, inshore and bottom fishing charters are readily available in this area. Great vacation spot.

Ft. Myers has arguably the best beaches in the country. Sanibel Island is quiet and peaceful, good for getaways. Ft. Myers Beach is much more developed for tourism. Notice the difference in how fine the sand is on the FL west coast compared to the east.

Expect to get stuck in major traffic in Orlando on the way to Daytona, unless you travel an alternate route.Orlando does have two Indian dealers in the area the one near the airport is a huge Eagle Rider Facility,(i.e. lots of Harleys) with its volume of bikes is kinda different than your average dealer.

Daytona Indian is killer. They have a great location and usually some beautiful custom Indians that you just don't see at the typical dealer. Unfortunately Daytona Beach is kinda looking like that it has seen one too many bike weeks, spring breaks, and 500 races. The actual Int'l Raceway has just been renovated.however and is worth a visit to their museum.

Cocoa Beach is a sleepy beach town. Definitely check out Ron Jon Surf Shop. There is also an Indian dealer in Melbourne, FL just south of Cocoa. Its the only dealer around thee parts that I am aware of that sells only Indian ( no Victory,/Slingshot) which makes them a little unique. Not very big, though.

Hi BigMediSin

Thanks very much for the load of Information. They will help a lot

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have worked in the South Florida m/c industry for over 40 years and have owned my m/c shop for 26 years this month. I specialize in maintenance, custom fabrication, machine shop services, performance engine building, dyno tuning, all types of hi-po mods, suspension services, on and on. Been workin on Jap skoots my whole life, branched out into Harleys years ago and now Indians

YEA...forgot that but it's in Miami and is really also overtown. Just stay away from them all. I live and work in Broward county and I HATE to go south and cross that county line into Miami-Dade county, it's another friggin world.

RACNRAY
Hi Racnray,

Where exactly can find you? I definitely like to pop around when i'm in Florida

1 - 20 of 22 Posts