Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 year Army combat vet checking in, hello. Have been riding for 10 yrs and have seen the Combat Vets Association patch all over my area. I'd considered the idea of sporting it but don't have time right now (or really desire) to commit to a full fledged MC. Can someone share a little about what it's all about to wear the patch?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been a member for over 5 years and three different chapters and I love it. Since I'm still active I love that they are in every state and over seas so every I go there is a chapter. Also some vet MCs just ask to much and I'm a family man so they k ow family comes first if I can't make everything. I say check out your local chapter and see for yourself their meetings are open.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I considered joining however...other than having to prove you are a combat vet...it is like the VFW and the American Legion. Too many war stories, too much talking about things I would rather not remember. I speak to my friends...like Clif02. Those who know me understand and those who don't understand don't need to know me.

Each individual must make their choice if they want to join....I find it isn't for me.

Semper Fi,
Z

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes chapters can vary greatly just do what is comfortable for you and if you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out brother.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes chapters can vary greatly just do what is comfortable for you and if you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out brother.
Thank you my brother....
I use the Run For The Wall for healing. 1000 or more vets and civilians riding across our great nation. Riding through big and small towns and learning that patriotism isn't TOTALLY dead.

Semper Fi,
Z

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm pretty busy with grad school right now but I'll be finished in the fall; I'll definitely check it out when my time is freed up a bit.

Is there a fundraising element to membership? Are there group rides? Or is it really just another way to get to know some folks with a common background?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm pretty busy with grad school right now but I'll be finished in the fall; I'll definitely check it out when my time is freed up a bit.

Is there a fundraising element to membership? Are there group rides? Or is it really just another way to get to know some folks with a common background?
They do a lot of rides and a lot of raising funds and volunteering at veteran homes and charities

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The last couple of times I saw the CV's here in Jacksonville, they were "giving beer away" for donations. The proceeds were going to a vet/family with needs. They are really active in FL and get involved in charity rides and other events. They also ride a lot as an MC. Seem like great bunch of guys. I am a member of American Legion but not really associated with a local post (at least yet).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you my brother....
I use the Run For The Wall for healing. 1000 vets riding across our great nation. Riding through big and small towns and learning that patriotism isn't TOTALLY dead.

Semper Fi,
Z
@DrZ hit me up before, gettong out and moving back to Philly so I will be there for next years.

·
Founding member
787 Posts
I'm the Commander of one of the Florida Chapters of the CVMA, Chapter 20-8 over in SW Florida. We are not an MC, we're more like a riding organization so you're not married to us like you would be in an MC. We're vets helping vets, believe me many of our brothers are in great need.

In Florida for instance there are 12 chapters, as has been said we are in every state as well as 2 or 3 other countries now, 14,000 + full members at this time plus Aux and Support members.

You'll not hear many war stories in our ranks mainly because every member wearing our patch has been vetted by their dd214's as having served in combat. When you're with a bunch that has been there and done that, there ain't much of a measuring contest.

Our numbers come from all campaigns, Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea, and the Nam. Posers need not apply as we are for real. Just saying.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the info, gents. I hope that other curious combat vets will find this thread as helpful as I have.

Reactions: Shortline

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm the Commander of one of the Florida Chapters of the CVMA, Chapter 20-8 over in SW Florida. We are not an MC, we're more like a riding organization so you're not married to us like you would be in an MC. We're vets helping vets, believe me many of our brothers are in great need.

In Florida for instance there are 12 chapters, as has been said we are in every state as well as 2 or 3 other countries now, 14,000 + full members at this time plus Aux and Support members.

You'll not hear many war stories in our ranks mainly because every member wearing our patch has been vetted by their dd214's as having served in combat. When you're with a bunch that has been there and done that, there ain't much of a measuring contest.

Our numbers come from all campaigns, Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea, and the Nam. Posers need not apply as we are for real. Just saying.
@2Cool
Not to disagree with your statements but I ran into a few of the CVMA members on the Run for the Wall. I was asked why I was not a member....and I explained I looked into it and just wasn't interested. They said right and walked away...saying something about me being another poser. That was enough to sour me towards ever joining. I select what I join and who I hang with...and I hate anyone throwing an attitude at me. I acknowledge they were quite young...and so I just blew it off as youngsters disrespecting an old guy but I was still very insulted. Not all who have been there and done that must wear a big a$$ed patch on their back to proclaim they played the game.

Sadly d!ck measuring is alive and well...
I am glad to hear FL seemingly doesn't have the issue but it tends to be rampant in Vets.

Semper Fi,
Z

Reactions: Micmac

·
Registered
71 Posts
@2Cool
Not to disagree with your statements but I ran into a few of the CVMA members on the Run for the Wall. I was asked why I was not a member....and I explained I looked into it and just wasn't interested. They said right and walked away...saying something about me being another poser. That was enough to sour me towards ever joining. I select what I join and who I hang with...and I hate anyone throwing an attitude at me. I acknowledge they were quite young...and so I just blew it off as youngsters disrespecting an old guy but I was still very insulted. Not all who have been there and done that must wear a big a$$ed patch on their back to proclaim they played the game.

I am glad to hear FL seemingly doesn't have the issue but it tends to be rampant in Vets.

Semper Fi,
Z
Unfortunately not everyone keeps the motto "vets helping vets" at heart. There are some less then savory members. Im sure you ran into a few during your active days. I consider myself a young"er" service member and apologize for their actions.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
@2Cool

Semper Fi,
Z
That's kind of sad. I've been in several of our country's foreign excursions between 1983 and 1996, and been shot at a few times, but I know that on the worst day I experienced it was nothing like what guys saw in Vietnam, Korea or WWII. Those guys humble me. My Dad invaded four Japanese held islands in WWII as an infantryman. I'm always thankful that I haven't had to go through that kind of hell.

·
Super Moderator
5,715 Posts
@2Cool

Semper Fi,
Z
Hey Doc, sorry to hear of the asshole attitude of those CVMA members. I've run into them as well. Soured me too.

Our treatment when coming back to the world was pathetic. Good thing I didn't carry a weapon back then, I'd still be serving time. That experienced kept me away from any vet organization for a long time. But a few years ago I joined the VVA, solely for the purpose, honor and privilege, of washing The Wall every first Saturday of the month (at 0600). Still do it. And it is still terrifically humbling. I also started volunteering at the USO (at BWI airport). Been doing that for 10 years now, welcoming troops back from from deployment.

I looked into vet organizations affiliated with riding. Found none that appealed. Neither did the cheap watering holes such as DAV, VFW, AmLeg, etc. Then 2 years ago I was at the Maggie valley Indian Rally and talked to some CVMA members, at length. I became interested.

So, I joined CVMA last year. Yes, a very few a$$holes as in every group, but quite a number of sincere vets wanting to help others. The primary mission of many chapters (if not all) is suicide prevention. That is a noble purpose, as I have PTSD myself and know dark and terrible holes we can abide in.

Some rides I participate in, some I don't. The day I start getting shit from the organization I'll burn my patches.

So . . . please don't judge the CVMA from a very few assholes. Rather, look at the overall mission - and LEAD that mission! BTW, CVMA has very few Vietnam vets. We are respected and occasionally asked for advice, at least that's my experience. They also know I won't take any crap from them.

Quinn,
Semper Fi
(E-5, 0311)
RVN '69-'70
Echo, 2/26

·
Founding member
787 Posts
Our chapter here in SW Florida has over 50% Nam Vets so maybe we don't have the attitudes of some members as most of us have matured over the years. We have 75 full members, mainly from the Army and Marine Corps but we also have some Navy and Air Force.

One of the requirements of the CVMA members is that we do not recruit as we are not an MC so most of our new members come to us by approaching us at different events. We have a great deal of diversity; one member who is an MD, a number of Naval Aviators, chopper pilots and crew members as well as many other MOS's. We even had a Marine Corps General at one time. I was Marine Corps Infantry and I served with the 5 Marines (1/5 & 3/5) in 1968 and part of 69, mainly in the Arizona Territory.

Sorry you had a bad taste from a few of our members, I assure you that the attitudes you explained are the rarity with us. In the MC we were always told about that 10%.

Reactions: Shortline

·
Senior member / gold
6,425 Posts
Not a member of any veteran's organizations. Like Dr. Z, many bad memories, and the nightmares still keep waking me up in the wee hours. Never even used any of my V.A. benefits. I find that the combat braggards and elitests are the same soldiers who had necklaces of ears and noses of Charlies (and God knows how many other innocent civilians) around their necks. Just Saying! Yes! It really happened!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I must apologize to the OP of the thread and to those who are following and posting in these threads. I do not mean to put my attitude out there concerning any group of Vets. I hurt for a lot of years and still do today. I read about the Run for the Wall but always found a reason not to go. My wife, baby of 8.... 6 brothers, all Nam vets, told me to get my butt on the Run. To talk to my Brothers and Sisters. She said I need to start healing or don't come home. She was tired of my attitude and being inside of myself all the time. She recognized my issues whereas I did not. I have done the Run for years now and am slowly healing.

Vets are Vets are Vets. It makes no difference what war or what you did while serving... you are my Brothers and Sisters and I will always have your six. Everyone who served played a part. From the desk jockey to the point man in country....all gave part of themselves. I don't differentiate between a combat vet or a non-combat vet. It takes all to do the job...even civilians whose taxes pay our checks and who give us what we need to do our job.

Once soured....it takes me a long time to come back. I don't feel the need to explain myself nor share with people about my time in country....it is part of my history and part of what makes me who I am. My personal goal, and the goal of many other Nam vets, is to make sure no other group of warriors are treated in the same manner we were.

I would like everyone to research the CVA, the VFW, the AL, the Run for the Wall, and all other Vet associations. Join or don't join....your choice. They are all very good organizations. But every person must heal in their own way....find their way back to civilization and regain that lost humanity.

Never judge anyone because they are not interested in joining this or that...or are not interested in sharing their story. You don't know their history and statements like those I heard concerning me hurt like hell and makes me lose some of what I have gained over the years. Some are not ready and some will never be ready....some will carry it to their grave.

Again...I apologize for being somewhat antagonistic.

You are all my Brothers and Sisters.

Semper Fi,
Z

·
Registered
550 Posts
IMG_0479.JPG
As has been said, each chapter has a different flavor, and different members. I've been a member of two chapters, and love the brothers and sisters I have the privilege of riding with. Interestingly enough, in each of my chapters, "war stories" are almost non-existent. None of us, has anything to prove to the man or woman riding next to us. We have the same patch, earned the same way. Service in harms way. I honestly don't know, what most of my brothers and sisters did. I know what branch they served in generally, but for the most part, no idea if they were tankers, infantry, aviators, sailors off the coast, etc. we just don't talk about it.

That's one of the reasons I love it. We don't have to have that conversation. Meeting the requirements for membership is enough to tell me all I need to know. Now, I've seen some asshats. They're out there, and tend to not last too long, before moving on, or growing up a bit.

But I love the CVMA family, and know wherever I go, I have someone that has my back that I can call on, nationwide, and even internationally, for help, for a beer, for a couch to ride for the night, almost anything.

And while we're NOT an MC, and can choose to attend rides, meetings and events as we see fit, a good chapter tends to have a core group that like to ride together, support each other, and support vets causes. Others, show up for meetings, but don't ride much. Some, you may only see once a year. That's ok too. I Personally, can't commit the time or dedication to enter the real MC world. I'm just too old and established at work to go that route. My priorities are my family, my work, then a very close third, my chapter. And no one asks for more. So for me, CVMA is a great fit. It's a really good feeling, being in a group ride, with patches ahead, and behind, as far as you can see at. regional or National rally.

And, most importantly, is our mission. Vets Helping Vets. Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you might try getting over the hurt feelings and sense of insult long enough to see past what CVMA can do for you and think about what you can do for CVMA, and those young members with the wrong mindset. Maybe they could use some Sage guidance and leadership, from someone like you. Just a thought, either way, ride safe, and feel free to hook up with a chapter for a ride.

Certainly, it's not a group for everyone. That's cool. For me, I love my CVMA family, CVF-FCV

1 - 20 of 160 Posts