Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CDH
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you ever have the opportunity to ride through Colorado check out US 50 and US 550 between Gunnison and Silverton. If you don't mind the 10,000+ feet elevation and a couple twisty roads and switch backs up in the mountains. I was out in Colorado for work and decided to checkout some of the smaller towns on the western side of the state like Ouray and Silverton. I was in a car, but just the drive to get to these towns were spectacular and the towns themselves seems to be Colorado's little kept secrets. LOL. I'm mean Ouray is also known as America's Switzerland. My cell phone pics doesn't do the actual views any justice..

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 CDH
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also known as “The Million Dollar Highway” because supposedly that’s what it cost to build in 1883. A great ride !!!
I saw that sign, but didn't take a pic of it. I wish I had my bike here. The nearest bike rental is about 3 hrs away. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Bronze member
2,102 Posts
Making plans now to ride Colorado next summer. There’s a ride called the 29/4. You ride through all 29 paved mountain passes above 10k feet in 4 days. Shooting for next July.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A number of years ago the wife and I made the loop, in our jeep, starting and ending in Cortez right after a big snow storm came thru. Clear roads and pure white thru the mountains. Unbelieveable!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, this is a great ride and I live not far from it. Watch for rocks on the road and be careful during the rain. It can be intimidating for those that don't ride narrow, twisty roads with steep drop offs.

With all that being said, it is a FANTASTIC ride with great scenery.

- Tim

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
If you ever have the opportunity to ride through Colorado check out US 50 and US 550 between Gunnison and Silverton. If you don't mind the 10,000+ feet elevation and a couple twisty roads and switch backs up in the mountains. I was out in Colorado for work and decided to checkout some of the smaller towns on the western side of the state like Ouray and Silverton. I was in a car, but just the drive to get to these towns were spectacular and the towns themselves seems to be Colorado's little kept secrets. LOL. I'm mean Ouray is also known as America's Switzerland. My cell phone pics doesn't do the actual views any justice..
Done that ride a couple of times. Beautiful country but the one time I went on it there was a bunch of horse trailers and campers on it. Very frustrating since there are few areas you can pass them. My wife gets mad at me for not taking more pics but I have to agree with you, a camera just does not do it justice. 160 east of Durango is good also from there we ended up on 32 back to Gunnison. One of my favorites is 14 west out of Fort Collins. Especially in the spring when there has been some rain. 14 follows the Cache la Poudre river and you can get some great areas with white water rapids follow thru the river valley surrounded by mountains. Great biking country but getting crowded out there. Lots of cars and bicyclist to get around. Dean

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was just there 3 weeks ago. Rode the Million Dollar Highway down to Durango and the over to Telluride. Then snuck over the La Sal mountains into Moab. Awesome ride.
While you are in the Montrose area be sure to make an appearance at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nation Park. That was so cool. Way more dramatic to me than the Grand Canyon.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just there 3 weeks ago. Rode the Million Dollar Highway down to Durango and the over to Telluride. Then snuck over the La Sal mountains into Moab. Awesome ride.
While you are in the Montrose area be sure to make an appearance at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nation Park. That was so cool. Way more dramatic to me than the Grand Canyon.
I'll definitely go have a look see while I'm here. Who knows, I may make it back here with my bike.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, this is a great ride and I live not far from it. Watch for rocks on the road and be careful during the rain. It can be intimidating for those that don't ride narrow, twisty roads with steep drop offs.

With all that being said, it is a FANTASTIC ride with great scenery.

- Tim
Rode that a couple years ago... I live and ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia so I see a lot of narrow twisty roads... 550 takes the cake.. beautiful but you couldn’t drive a needle up my ass with a jackhammer... those drop offs were huge with no shoulder... but I’d do it all over again for sure

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rode that a couple years ago... I live and ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia so I see a lot of narrow twisty roads... 550 takes the cake.. beautiful but you couldn’t drive a needle up my ass with a jackhammer... those drop offs were huge with no shoulder... but I’d do it all over again for sure

·
Registered
2019 CDH
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:LOL::ROFLMAO: I hear ya. I got vertigo one time looking down as we drove by. Definitely have to keep your eyes on the road.

·
Rider
1,044 Posts
Beautiful riding there. Just a stones throw away from the 4 corners area Mesa Verde, So Utah etc... I suggest booking a ride on the Durango to Silverton Railroad. The mining museum in Silverton is awesome too.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Beautiful riding there. Just a stones throw away from the 4 corners area Mesa Verde, So Utah etc... I suggest booking a ride on the Durango to Silverton Railroad. The mining museum in Silverton is awesome too.
I completely agree with doing the train ride. But anyone planning on being in the area and wanting to ride the train, they are not running from Durango to Silverton this year due to the... well you know. They are offering a shorter out and back trek up another canyon, but on a limited schedule.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts