Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode Biffy Bullfrog, my KLR650, to Dennys this morning, picking my way carefully through the black ice until I hit the main road. Eleven degrees. Biffy is a good cold weather bike because she has an automatic compression release left over from kick-start K600 days, which makes for easier starts in the cold. Met a buddy at Dennys who complained his beemer brick K75 would not start. His is an ABS model; whereas my K75, name of Ocelot, was not. The battery on the non-abs bricks is twice the size of the ABS bricks, cause they stuff ABS in that same space. So Ocelot had a battery big enough for a compact car = good cold weather starter. In general, I find somewhere between five and ten degrees the oil gets so thick and the battery so cold that it's tough to get a bike started after it has set in the office parking lot all day. Need either a big battery or small displacement or compression release or something to help out. Had a beemer airhead R69 many years ago, kick start, had to light a crumpled newspaper and throw it underneath, to warm some air, so she would kick up.

Who here has started their Scout parked outside for hours in single digits?
Did it fire up readily?
How big is the battery?

I don't think there's a compression release, is there?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Please. Single digits? I have a hard time just saying it.:p

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have started and rode mine in the mid teens. Slow to crank but started on the second try. Let it idle and rode about 15 miles in my snowmobile suit. I ride my BMW all time in teens or lower. As long as there is no salt down. (calcium chloride)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have started and rode mine in the mid teens. Slow to crank but started on the second try. Let it idle and rode about 15 miles in my snowmobile suit. I ride my BMW all time in teens or lower. As long as there is no salt down. (calcium chloride)
Exactly the same for me, including the BMW and road salt aversion! :cool: It's been in the teens for hours on end here but fortunately not the single digits so I can't speak to that.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
You manly men! If it's too cold for the battery, it's too cold for me.

With that said, we just put a new kit from MotoElectric in the Ducati to go with the slim LiFe battery. It now cranks once and fires right up. Even in cold weather. I am going to see if they'll make one for the Scout or I can probably make one myself. Not rocket science, just quality cables, connectors and good soldering.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You manly men! If it's too cold for the battery, it's too cold for me.

With that said, we just put a new kit from MotoElectric in the Ducati to go with the slim LiFe battery. It now cranks once and fires right up. Even in cold weather. I am going to see if they'll make one for the Scout or I can probably make one myself. Not rocket science, just quality cables, connectors and good soldering.
These guys seem to have some god quality wire to upgrade the wiring...
NVX XW4BL5 5 ft. of Blue EnvyFlex 4-Gauge Power/Ground Wire Cable

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Mine started Fine at 23 F won't be trying to start it any lower than that (because won't be riding :)) .. Only reason chose to Ride that day was supposed to double it's Temp in a couple of hours and getting together with friends .. Also keep mine on a Tender though when sitting in the garage ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts