Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With cold weather upon us one thing I’ve learned (only took 50 years) is to always put on one more layer of clothing than you think you will need. You can always take it off if you’re too warm but adding a layer after you get cold won’t warm you up. You’ll just stay cold.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like a riding jacket with “zip in” liners to stay warm on early morning cold departures and remove them when it warms up in the afternoon.

Tim

·
Registered
927 Posts
Heated socks and heated grips! Magic.

Reactions: Medicine Bow

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've used heated grips with great success. I would ride my Sportster to work if the temp was 20 deg. F or above. Top notch riding gear makes all the difference. The only bike I have without heated grips is the Vintage and I may just go ahead and put them on the bike. Makes a world of difference.

Layering clothes definitely helps.

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,273 Posts
My standard winter riding layers:

• Thick wool socks
  • 2 layer Stanfields onesie (cotton inside, merino wool outside) for base layer
  • Sweatpants
  • Jeans
  • 100% merino sweater
  • T shirt
  • 2 layer polyester turtleneck
  • Leather jacket
  • Half balaclava (neck to nose)
  • Fully insulated hiking mitts + HotHands inserts

Works great down to at least -5 C.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My standard winter riding layers:

• Thick wool socks
  • 2 layer Stanfields onesie (cotton inside, merino wool outside) for base layer
  • Sweatpants
  • Jeans
  • 100% merino sweater
  • T shirt
  • 2 layer polyester turtleneck
  • Leather jacket
  • Half balaclava (neck to nose)
  • Fully insulated hiking mitts + HotHands inserts

Works great down to at least -5 C.
I had to look up what a Stanfield Onesie is...they look really warm! How does the sizing chart work? It only lists tops and bottoms, and if I were to order a onesie, I wouldn't want to get the wrong size!

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,273 Posts
I had to look up what a Stanfield Onesie is...they look really warm! How does the sizing chart work? It only lists tops and bottoms, and if I were to order a onesie, I wouldn't want to get the wrong size!
Just order your typical t shirt size and it'll fit fine. They're very warm and very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I learned something a few years back myself also a slow learner. Went on a club run and it was about 40 in the morning when it was time to roll. I thought forget the leather I’m gonna dress like I do for work. So I put on my carhardt thermal hoodie and my insulated carhardt jacket Plus chaps hat and gloves. I couldn’t believe how much warmer I stayed without my leather on. That dumb ass mind set it’s cold I’m riding of course I’m wearing a leather ! Well no more !

·
Silver member
4,842 Posts
I learned something a few years back myself also a slow learner. Went on a club run and it was about 40 in the morning when it was time to roll. I thought forget the leather I’m gonna dress like I do for work. So I put on my carhardt thermal hoodie and my insulated carhardt jacket Plus chaps hat and gloves. I couldn’t believe how much warmer I stayed without my leather on. That dumb ass mind set it’s cold I’m riding of course I’m wearing a leather ! Well no more !
Yep. I've got a down ski jacket that I've had for at least 35 years. Great wind blocker and very warm, great for cold weather riding. And it's khakis color so it kind'a fits in nicely with my willow green & cream Vintage LOL. Under layers plus ski jacket is much warmer than under layers plus leather.

·
Founding member
961 Posts
I'm a heated gear guy. I fought it for years but on a ride to Daytona for BikeWeek in 2004 I GOT THE MESSAGE! :) I was riding out of Pensacola on my second day and it was 30 degrees with a good wind. Two bikes went by me at 85 mph and the guys looked half dressed compared with me! At the next gas stop I saw their bikes outside a cafe and went in. I walked up to their table and asked if they were wearing heated gear or were just tough as hell. They showed me their heated gear and explained how great it is. I ordered from Gerbing at Daytona and have ridden SO COMFORTABLY, regardless of the temps, since. :)

PS: I hate really cold weather. :)

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
So I put on my carhardt thermal hoodie and my insulated carhardt jacket Plus chaps hat and gloves. I couldn’t believe how much warmer I stayed without my leather on. That dumb ass mind set it’s cold I’m riding of course I’m wearing a leather ! Well no more !
I lived in Oklahoma for a decade. Loved riding those roads. I am no tough guy -- now or then. There were many beautiful, but cold days. I too, put on the Carhartt hunting gear and rode -- it was good down to about 20 degrees as long as it was sunny. You knew when you left an air gap! 🥶 However, I could never keep my feet warm.

PS: I hate really cold weather. :)
YES!!!!
I now have a heated vest that is ready to come out of storage.

·
Bronze member
2,985 Posts
I lived in Oklahoma for a decade. Loved riding those roads. I am no tough guy -- now or then. There were many beautiful, but cold days. I too, put on the Carhartt hunting gear and rode -- it was good down to about 20 degrees as long as it was sunny. You knew when you left an air gap! 🥶 However, I could never keep my feet warm.

YES!!!!
I now have a heated vest that is ready to come out of storage.
Just incase anyone else is interested: Gerbing also has heated socks,which I also have a pair of,to go with my gloves,pants,and jacket liner,not to mention,the thermostat to regulate the heat,and they all work very well.

·
Rider
1,210 Posts
I lived in Oklahoma for a decade. Loved riding those roads.
You love riding straight lines and 90° turns?

When I flew to Okitown, as we came in for landing. I was looking at all the straight roads thinking, "it must suck to have a motorcycle here." A week later, when I was flying out and going through the TSA check point. A TSA agent noticed my Aprilia Racing shirt and asked if I was interested in a Ducati Panigale. I asked why he was selling such a beautiful bike. He said "it's no fun riding in this state, too many straight lines."

Temps really only get to the 30's and 40's in the mornings where I live. With that, I will wear a long sleeve, short sleeve and a leather riding jacket with removable thermal insert. On my legs, I only use my leather Motus riding pants. I ride a Guzzi. So with the jugs sticking out in front of my knees. It keeps my knees warm enough and they are easily accessible for me to put my hands on the valve covers for hand warmers. My style of riding gets the adrenaline going which also helps keep me warm.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
You love riding straight lines and 90° turns?
When I flew to Okitown, as we came in for landing. I was looking at all the straight roads thinking, "it must suck to have a motorcycle here." A week later, when I was flying out and going through the TSA check point. A TSA agent noticed my Aprilia Racing shirt and asked if I was interested in a Ducati Panigale. I asked why he was selling such a beautiful bike. He said "it's no fun riding in this state, too many straight lines."
Have you been to parts of Texas? Our flat, makes Oklahoma looks like a roller coaster.

I was amazed in Oklahoma that most of the rural roads are on grid lines. Directions may include "go three miles, west, 1 mile north." It is pretty easy as that translates to 3 intersections by 1 intersection. It is damned hard to get lost in Oklahoma. However, this is mostly true in the south and west. The eastern half is really nice. I was just happy being able to travel in four different directions. I hail from the Texas coast. You can only go North or follow the coast. Also, Oklahoma had four seasons - something else we don't have. I would be happy to swap some humidity and mosquitoes for a few weeks of fall or spring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I tried the layering method my first winter on my first bike (sporty) but after a 20°F with wind chill that brought it down to just below 0°F ride to work I immediately rode to indian after work in the morning and got myself some heated gloves and later the matching heated pants/ jacket and haven’t looked back. 40° is about as I’ll go with just good leather jacket/ leather over pants (way better than chaps)/ wind proof face mask or with half helmet/ good winter gloves but only on shorter purposeful trips like to work/ home. Anything below that and I’m putting on my heated H-D gear (on my scout now)/ wind proof face mask and full face helmet. The heated gear has made me a little soft cause I’m considering getting heated socks or insoles too for when it’s cold/ wet out cause even though my boots are waterproof once the leather gets wet they turn to ice at speed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As someone that doesn’t store bikes for winter, I’ve learned quite a bit bout riding in the cold. Like just because an outfit can make you sweat when below freezing off the bike doesn’t mean it’ll keep you warm riding even above freezing temps. Made that mistake before. Nice warm jumpsuit I’ve had for years. Can be well below freezing temps and still keeps me toasty. But not great at blocking high wind(like 25mph plus). Tried it on the bike few years back, was warm and toasty down the driveway and through the neighborhood. But once I was doing speeds over 20mph got cold real fast. Hit a red light and warmed back up quick, but again once I pulled away got cold. Though I did later end up trying that jumpsuit with an oversized pant/jacket combo that was excellent at blocking wind, and together they made about the warmest riding outfit I’ve used to date. But bulky as heck, takes awhile to get on/off, and makes me look like the Michelin mans less athletic cousin. I’ve since got a full range of heated gear(heated leather jacket, heated pants, heated gloves, heated socks, heated vest, also heated seat on my indian and heated grips on my fz1) and that makes things a lot less bulky and almost as warm(could probably be warmer with more layers but I try to use the heated stuff to keep a few layers/bulk off).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts