Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning it was 31 degrees on the ride home. Everything stayed warm except my neck. I need recommendation for a good gaiter/balaclava that blocks the wind on your neck. I'd prefer to have a balaclava with thin, spandex material everywhere except the front of the neck area, which should be windproof. A balaclava would keep my hippie hair out of my eyes, so that's a plus.

Everything I look at is some type of breathable fleece, which is great for stationary activities, but I want windproof on my neck.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I use an earlier version of this. UA Storm WINDSTOPPER Gaiter by under armor. I’m pretty sure they sell a balaclava model too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I made use of a Hi-Vis green colored microfiber square shop towel. It can be whatever color you want... I like Hi-Vis for safety. I sewed some Velcro on 2 opposite corners and just wrap it around my neck to keep warm and shield from bugs. Easy on, easy off with Velcro. I use it year round... I dislike a draft. I also use it when stopped to polish my stuff and clean my helmet visor and glasses. When it begins to stink or gets dirty, I just toss it in the washer / dryer. Be creative! Enjoy!

Reactions: Hawgrunner

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a Freeze-Out neck gaiter that I think would probably stop a nor-easter, but I've never worn it. (Got it for free, somehow...) My two go-tos are an Aerostich wind triangle (fleece-backed nylon) that velcros in the back, so it's easy to take off, and an old-school knit "throat coat." The knit item will keep you warm from drafts but won't stop much wind.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I picked up one of these at Dick's Sporting Goods after I got my half helmet. Still lets in some cold since it has small holes for your mouth and a hole for your nose so you can breathe, but around the neck it's fleece and I could pull the "scarf" part up high enough to cover my ears a bit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
For decades I've used the same method. A triple layer high density nylon cloth (think windbreaker) 26" square, with strips of velcro on one edge. The Matching strips of velcro are glued to the lower edge of my full face helmet, and the cloth (opening to the rear) is attached there. The other end of the cloth is tucked into my jacket. When you stop, the visor needs to be cracked open, but it is the best thing I've used for cold weather riding. $10 max.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This morning it was 31 degrees on the ride home. Everything stayed warm except my neck. I need recommendation for a good gaiter/balaclava that blocks the wind on your neck. I'd prefer to have a balaclava with thin, spandex material everywhere except the front of the neck area, which should be windproof. A balaclava would keep my hippie hair out of my eyes, so that's a plus.

Everything I look at is some type of breathable fleece, which is great for stationary activities, but I want windproof on my neck.
I don’t have one of these, but was looking at it pretty hard.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
I found that my old army gaiter neck works by far the best. There were a few things they got right and that was one of them. When it's really cold I can pull it over the back of my head to cover my ears, too.

·
Registered
2014 Vintage, 2000 Gilroy Silver Cloud,1973 Indian Dirt Bike
708 Posts
I have several but like the Indian fleece one best.

·
Rider
593 Posts
I'd say make one. I HAD to ride from Stillwater to Tulsa and back in 10 degree weather 68 miles total suckville. I took a strip of warm cloth put rabbit fur on each edge then Sherpa wool on one side, the other a light coat of water (thus wind proof material) I still have it when I HAVE to ride in less than 32 degrees. Never more than 5 miles however that trip to Tulsa about did me in.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts

I bought this;

Aviator/trapper cap with detachable mask and collar for stormy weather

and it's amazing warm, I use real aviator goggles when I wear this. Sterkowski is top notch in quality, no cheap Chinese crap.

Here is a previous discussion about such things. https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/the-secret-to-enjoying-cold-weather-rides.14763/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts