Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a Cabela"s and Bass Pro Shop kind of guy?
Tractor Supply?
Home Depot and Sears?

OR-

Is it strictly "Motorcycle Only"?

I've decided yet another year that I could make do with my hobbled up collection of cold weather riding gear.
Since it's only cold here for about 15 minutes a year, it's difficult for me to justify a lot of specialized motorcycle specific gear to deal with it.

I have a pair of wind and water proof Carharrt artic coveralls and my leather fringe jacket. I also have a pair of thick sheep lined mittens and some heavy sock liners...good to go.

How about you?
Are you ready for the cold weather?
What does your gear selection look like?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
My cold weather gear consists of a leather jacket with a hooded sweatshirt and army long john top, leather chaps, blue jeans, and army long john bottom, heavy wool socks, a balaclava and motorcycle specific gloves. That would be it and I have found it satisfactory in temps down to 28 degrees and that is pretty much what I have worn for the last 40 years in cold weather.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Military issue(d) long underwear over underwear made by Gator. Then, standard leather jacket and gauntlet gloves.

I've got electric gloves and vest, but I rarely use them.

Reactions: Big Daddy

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cold weather gear consists of a leather jacket with a hooded sweatshirt and army long john top, leather chaps, blue jeans, and army long john bottom, heavy wool socks, a balaclava and motorcycle specific gloves. That would be it and I have found it satisfactory in temps down to 28 degrees and that is pretty much what I have worn for the last 40 years in cold weather.
Stick with what works

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having come to the Roadmaster from an adventure bike (Triumph Tiger Explorer), I have gear that is popular in that world and among long distance riders. Aerostich Roadcrafter R-3, Warm & Safe heated jacket and socks, LDComfort under layers. On the cool and rainy Oregon coast, these sorts of things aren't luxuries, unless you want to limit your riding to 2 or 3 months a year, which I definitely do not! On a trip to Tennessee a few months ago (still on the Triumph), this served us well for 36 degrees and foggy at 9000 feet in Wyoming to 105 degrees in Phoenix on the way home.

·
Rider
805 Posts
Having commuted on The Iron Beast for 11 years on to the ferry and then in to Seattle, we experience much the same conditions as @Eyedoc does - cold and damp. It rarely snows here, which is a good thing when the City of Seattle and Bainbridge Island snow removal equipment consists of three spoons and a hair dryer.

I wear the same leather jacket in the winter as I do in the summer, but supplement it with a fleece neck warmer and a Cabella's wind shirt under my jacket, leather overpants, insulated gauntlet gloves, and my year round CruiserWorks boots. Winter gear here means keeping dry as well as warm, so I have Firstgear rain gear that fits over all this leather. Surprisingly, even with all that on there is little restriction of movement.

Now that I'm done with the commute, my riding days in the cold and damp are few and far between.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, I think so. Jeans, short sleeve t-shirt, fingerless gloves, ballcap, and a leather jacket when it really gets cold, which usually only happens 2 or 3 times a year.....Miami, Florida.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gerbing heated jacket liner, heated gloves, and heated socks - but I am also talking about 50 min rides, in the dark at highway speed, in 10 degree weather.

Oh, did I forget to mention up-hill both ways. :)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having come to the Roadmaster from an adventure bike (Triumph Tiger Explorer), I have gear that is popular in that world and among long distance riders. Aerostich Roadcrafter R-3, Warm & Safe heated jacket and socks, LDComfort under layers. On the cool and rainy Oregon coast, these sorts of things aren't luxuries, unless you want to limit your riding to 2 or 3 months a year, which I definitely do not! On a trip to Tennessee a few months ago (still on the Triumph), this served us well for 36 degrees and foggy at 9000 feet in Wyoming to 105 degrees in Phoenix on the way home.
Very interesting post.
I lived in Crescent City California for a couple of years myself.
I've never seen rain like I did there, all winter long.

I'm becoming very interested in the gear of the adventure rider too.
I don't know why it is that "cruiser" riders will spend a lot of money on loud exhausts but wear a plastic paint bucket for a helmet.
I'm NOT pointing fingers because I've been in that camp a long time myself.

If I can spend a couple of hundred bucks to extend my riding season by a month on each end of winter....longer and then earlier...Isn't that a "good deal"?
Some places it might work....tough to think about a snow plow or ski on the front wheel...so not for everyone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I live in the St. Louis, MO area but work in St. Paul, MN and commute to work. Mostly I outsource the job of transporting yours truly to Delta.
But having been bitten by the motorcycle bug - especially the extremely viral Indian Motorcycle kind - I do plan to ride my Chieftain. As most of you must have read my other posts, I have done that once (MSP - STL) and am planning to do it again going back to MSP. And of course will be doing that several more times weather permitting.

So - to answer the post question on winter gear - I do have a good quality leather jacket that I purchased from Amazon (Hot Leathers jacket) and a leather Jean/Trousers, also from Amazon. With these two I am wondering if it would suffice to just layer up and buy a pair of the Indian branded winter gloves. Time will tell!

I am also looking towards these Touring Jacket and Trousers - especially because I am getting 15% off all Indian branded merchandise from the Twin Cities Indian dealership. And to top it off - there is no sales tax on clothing in MN!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in the St. Louis, MO area but work in St. Paul, MN and commute to work. Mostly I outsource the job of transporting yours truly to Delta.
But having been bitten by the motorcycle bug - especially the extremely viral Indian Motorcycle kind - I do plan to ride my Chieftain. As most of you must have read my other posts, I have done that once (MSP - STL) and am planning to do it again going back to MSP. And of course will be doing that several more times weather permitting.

So - to answer the post question on winter gear - I do have a good quality leather jacket that I purchased from Amazon (Hot Leathers jacket) and a leather Jean/Trousers, also from Amazon. With these two I am wondering if it would suffice to just layer up and buy a pair of the Indian branded winter gloves. Time will tell!

I am also looking towards these Touring Jacket and Trousers - especially because I am getting 15% off all Indian branded merchandise from the Twin Cities Indian dealership. And to top it off - there is no sales tax on clothing in MN!
I've been a leather guy myself for a lot of years.
It is darn near 100% effective at cutting the wind and offers pretty good abrasion resistance.
But it also transmits the cold really well. You have to layer up under it to stay warm.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the typical leather gear most other riders use. I did switch from a leather jacket to a textile jacket 3 years ago. Picked it up from Cycle Gear before I crossed the plains from Vegas to the Melon Patch, OK. Best jacket yet. Held up in 24 degree weather along with snow and rain.
We all have our preference on gear, I try to keep it simple and wear gear that fits and does the job for me.

Heated gear might be fine, but with my limited education I would rather feel the full effect of riding in the cold.... I'm a man gosh darn'it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
good thing you posted this. i have to get some cold weather gear for Maryland. Today I rode and it was in the mid 50s on the way into work and was ok. First off I need a full face helmet, gloves and a jacket. I was thinking chaps but are they really needed? Was also thinking rain gear also. i would like to ride as long as there is no snow or salt on the road.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good thing you posted this. i have to get some cold weather gear for Maryland. Today I rode and it was in the mid 50s on the way into work and was ok. First off I need a full face helmet, gloves and a jacket. I was thinking chaps but are they really needed? Was also thinking rain gear also. i would like to ride as long as there is no snow or salt on the road.
Chaps do cut the wind but they only look good on a shapely woman.
I'm sort of needy in the rain gear department myself.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I am not 100% ready for winter and like you BD, I am not married to the motorcycle culture garb. I do have a (nearly too) heavy branded leather jacket that I will wear on occasion unless I decide to sell it. Indian dealers do some pretty good mark downs on last years stuff and my favorite dealer will mark down most everthing I buy anyway, so if I see something that catches my eye and the price is right I am not beyond wearing the brand
My summer weight gloves come from Lowes and match the Vintage leather pretty well for about $15 bucks but will not do for really cold weather so I will be searching for gloves.
Funny you mentioned Carhart coveralls. i have been scoping a pair of Carhart "bib overalls" which are easier for me to enter and exit so when I find an insulated pair I will snatch them up.
We are lucky enough to have a Cabela's, Gander Mountain and Tractor Supply here in addition to Dicks, Sports Authority and the usual yuppie outfitter stores, some of which are reasonable in their pricing but not as a rule, Alabama Outdoors is an exception and has a store here and a good web site with great clearance prices, I would highly recommend looking them up. You never know what they will have on sale but I have never not found something on the clearance pages that I would buy. Oh and if you spend $50 bucks or more they ship for free which is a good bonus.
The Mrs spent far too much for a rain suit for my last birthday and i am proud to say it has not been out of my saddle bag. This will change in the coming weeks I am sure so I will be ready when it comes.
Walsnort carries knock off Under Armour long underwear that is light weight, breathes well and is actually pretty nice for about $12 per piece. I have been wearing these for years and have some UA stuff as well and can't tell much difference, The UA is about $80 for top and bottoms. No way am I paying that when I can get nearly the same thing for $25 or so.
I wear Frye harness boots in the warm months and wool lined waterproof UGG's in the cold. I have two differant styles of the UGG's and my feet never get cold or wet. Both brands are well worth the money they cost and is really the only place I draw the line on what I buy.
I just can't make myself wear chaps for some reason, I just want my pants to have an ass in them. I totally get it, and don't have anything against them but they are just not for me.
Maybe if I tried I could be a chaps convert but I am not ready for chaps yet. Well......maybe on chicks......not all chicks but some chicks, Some chicks could do some serious justice to some chaps. Yep, uh huh, they sure could!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Maybe get the Indian heat grips. I can wear regular leather gloves and those grips are nice and warn at a low setting. I end up having to turn them off. The RM offers so much wind protection I am looking forward to some cold weather riding.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I have a tourmaster coat and pants, both have removable liners, wear them over my jeans and shirts. They kept me warm when I rode through the alps. Also wore some cold weather gloves. Not much use for it around here, but will come in handy when I want to do a northern winter ride. For the short cooler days around here I just wear a leather jacket with liner, gloves, don't really need thermals.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We don't get real cold here in NorCal but it will get into the upper 30's when I'm on my way to work and this is my first winter here with a bike and I'm trying to figure out what I want to get. I'm looking at 4 season textiles like the Rev'it Outback or Excaliber.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I know I paid to much but what the hell its only money and I hate the cold. I just got a shirt and bottom from Under Armour called base 3.0. It's the new hi tech stuff that skiers and snowboarders are wearing. We will see if it works. I also have a Tourmaster two piece rain suit, that does work really well. I wear a modular style helmet by Shark, it's air tight in full face mode, a very good product. I bought the leather Freeway jacket from Indian dealer, it's holding up good so far.

·
Registered
317 Posts
New England winters are rough. Between 25 below temps' the ice the salt the sand it's not worth it. The bike goes on life support and I just hope God lets me live one more summer. The dogs still need walking and small game season goes to the end of Feb. Get a lot of cold weather gear from Optic's Planet, Botach and LA Police Gear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts