Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse that I got May 1st. In these cold temps it is a ***** to start. It takes 5-7 pushes on the start button(even cycling). It throws all kinds of codes and they all clear after it finally kicks. Lights dim like crazy while it tries. Runs fine and starts right up after a stop, just initial starting in cold temps. Stays on tender when not riding. I’m pretty convinced I just need to upgrade the battery to something with higher cca’s. Anyone WITH A 2019 CHIEFTAIN upgraded the battery? I’m thinking of a Renegade Wicked Start (500+cca’s) but want to see what anyone else has done ON A 2019.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put a Renegade on my 16RM 111 and it didn't make any difference at all in the starting. And then it (battery) died 9 months later. I'm not overly impressed with those batteries. Do you have Stage 2 installed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a Renegade on my 16RM 111 and it didn't make any difference at all in the starting. And then it (battery) died 9 months later. I'm not overly impressed with those batteries. Do you have Stage 2 installed?
yea. Lloydz 558’s

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Something else you can try is to cycle the kill switch a few times before you try to start it. This should push a little more fuel towards the engine for that initial start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse that I got May 1st. In these cold temps it is a * to start. It takes 5-7 pushes on the start button(even cycling). It throws all kinds of codes and they all clear after it finally kicks. Lights dim like crazy while it tries. Runs fine and starts right up after a stop, just initial starting in cold temps. Stays on tender when not riding. I’m pretty convinced I just need to upgrade the battery to something with higher cca’s. Anyone WITH A 2019 CHIEFTAIN upgraded the battery? I’m thinking of a Renegade Wicked Start (500+cca’s) but want to see what anyone else has done ON A 2019.
Someone on the forum suggested to open the throttle about 1/8 of a turn before engaging the starter. I release the throttle as soon as it fires up to not rev the cold engine. It has worked every time for me.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Do NOT touch the throttle.Why?? Because it is computer controled and all you'll do is flood the motor making it even harder to start.If your bike is parked in a shed or garage in cold temps [40* temps or lower] ,what I have learned do,is place a small space heater on the right floor board facing the motor in order to heat up that area which is where the push rods and decompression releases are located.After ten minutes or so she will then crank over pretty good and start almost like it would on a warm day.According to what I've been reading on here,and after experiencing the problem myself,this appears to be a common problem with these motors.But ounce the ambient air temp is warm,there's no problem starting these animals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts