Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit, that time to time I have gotten cold feet.

I have had discouragements, purely vainity related such as the association of the Scout being a "beginner" bike, or a "chick" bike. Also the low price precludes any "mistique" and doesn't establish any "class" or "exclusivity"

Each time I come around, after giving full thought to my personal desires in a bike which the Scout fills much better than anything else available. I ride for myself, not for the vanity of being a "biker" if somebody else is soo insecure that they feel the need to criticize my bike choice, I honestly don't care.

But the real point of this thread is:

Have you had thoughts of backing out, and why?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It boils down to are you a rider or a poser? Riders buy a bike to enjoy life on two wheels and the freedom of having your knees in the breeze. The posers buy a bike to show it off. They keep it polished like a mirror and add multiple thousands of dollars to a bike to drive it to a dealership every weekend, when it is clear, to stand by it and listen to the compliments of their ride.

When I bought my Chieftain, I got harassed by friends who ride HD bikes. They called it an American made rice burner. It really came down to what I wanted and the rest of them could get in the long line of people who have been invited to kiss my a$$.

Buy what you want and want what you buy.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
31 Posts
nope not for a second, and I hav not even seen it in the flesh yet, roll on late jan (stupid sea shipping to Australia)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The time to have doubts is BEFORE you put your money down. I have no reservations...ordered 2 Scouts. One for me with an August order and later when my wife sat on one and had to have one, too. As for it being a "beginner's" bike...it has too much power to fit that definition (though a confident beginner could do worse).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not even a little bit. For me, it was a case of love at first sight. After doing the demo rides there was no going back.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Really, I couldn't agree with DrZ more. This will be bike No. 38 for me ( I think,...maybe more) and no matter what I had, there was always a host of detractors & naysayers trying to harsh my mellow. Whether their jibes were out of jealously, insecurity or just plain meanness, I never took the time to sort out, as I was having a great time on the machine I was riding. Made no difference if the bike was a Norton, Ariel, Harley Sturgis or even a Cushman Eagle, the smile was always on MY face, not theirs. Enjoy what you picked out and let the rest mindlessly follow the herd.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nope.

I buy bikes (and cars) because I like them. I make changes to my rides to make them fit my personality better. There are always going to be people that look at what I ride and like them, and there are always going to be people that look at what I ride and hate them. Makes no difference to me. I like the Scout.

To your point about being a "biker". Though I have been riding for over 30 years and owned over 30 motorcycles, I have never once thought of myself as a "biker". Maybe because I have never owned a Harley. I say this with no intention of being negative or putting anyone (or any bike) down. I am a motorcyclist. I own motorcycles for the pure joy of riding, nothing else.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I have guys at work who give me $h!t because I will hang out and talk with ugly girls. I tell them that it doesn't effect my manhood one bit. Are you going to let others dictate what bike you want to enjoy. :cool:
Besides, the ugly girls have better looking girlfriends.:p

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have you had thoughts of backing out, and why?
Not a chance. One reason I like the Indian is because the others don't ride it. I'm a member of the American Legion Riders, the guys in my group all ride Harleys, including me. I want to see their reaction when I pull on up on the Scout. If people don't like it, tough 5H1T. They can EAD.

The only reason I would not purchase would be my girl saying NO. Wait, scratch that. I'm buying it anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To your point about being a "biker". Though I have been riding for over 30 years and owned over 30 motorcycles, I have never once thought of myself as a "biker". Maybe because I have never owned a Harley. I say this with no intention of being negative or putting anyone (or any bike) down. I am a motorcyclist. I own motorcycles for the pure joy of riding, nothing else.
My definition of "biker" could also be translated more coarsely and offensively as "poser".

I think we're all on the same wavelength here, but I feel the need to mention that my real life group of riders would consider a long ride 50 miles, a full face helmet as "dorky" and riding appearal as form far ahead of function.

I am polar opposite, but peer pressure is peer pressure regardless of my inconformity.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My definition of "biker" could also be translated more coarsely and offensively as "poser".

I think we're all on the same wavelength here, but I feel the need to mention that my real life group of riders would consider a long ride 50 miles, a full face helmet as "dorky" and riding appearal as form far ahead of function.

I am polar opposite, but peer pressure is peer pressure regardless of my inconformity.
Haha! Don't cave into that peer pressure!
I consider a long ride anything over about 400 miles, full face helmets as wonderful optional additional protection (especially in rain and cold), and riding apparel as something I wouldn't ever think of pulling out the driveway without (for it's protection, not looks).

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
No cold feet but quite happy not to be the a early adaptors, or the new kid on the block with the latest toy content in sitting back getting real world opinions on the Scout .

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah NickSimCheck, I have. Partly because I so enjoy riding with my wife and I'm not sure this bike is gonna be a good fit for that? We'll see. Another is that I'm buying a house and though I have very little debt I worry if I can afford a house and a bike. There are days that I go, "maybe I ought to call the dealer and beg out" and other days that I go "I've wanted an Indian for so long and being part of the 1st Run, how could I give that up?!"

I love the look of the Scout and damn I can't wait to get my first ride in and be proud to be on an Indian at last.

But I get what you mean. Keep the faith Nick!

·
Registered
478 Posts
No second thoughts here. Total infatuation - smitten to the core - and those feelings just keep getting stronger.

True men (and ladies :)) know what they want.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
DrZ, you got your shit together!lol
Ride what you love and love what you ride!
I absolutely refuse to follow and my Chieftain is absolutely a magnificent piece of metal! Ride every chance you get! No cold feet here! Life is all about choices! I choose to ride an Indian!
Safe travels!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Cold Feet, cold legs, cold hands, cold head, How cold,he asks? Depends on how cold it is when I get my Scout.:cool:

Reactions: aln.brown

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

First....I tend to translate everything coarsely and offensively as possible. I guess it is my years in the Marines. These forms of descriptions tend to leave little doubt in what is being said. LOL.

Second...50 miles is what I call a minimal ride while goofing off on the weekends. Riding that amount is good for a group who meet and ride on the weekends. It is a good fraternal gathering. I would suggest you check into some of the longer rides. They are great. My concern would be if the Scout is really a bike I would like to take long distances. I want something with more long term comfort.

I own a modular, full face, half helmet, a skid plate, and multiple do rags. I wear what I feel like wearing or what is required by law. I figure I am only going to last so long and am going to be comfortable until I go! Give me function over form anyday. That road is damn hard.

I don't care what you buy, there will always be someone who will put you down. Start the line like I did. Sometimes it just feels good to tell someone where to go!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

Reactions: JayFL459 and 2022
1 - 20 of 123 Posts