Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rider
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2015 Chieftain has started to “tick” (not clank) when I accelerate after a cold start. I don’t hear it during cold idling - only as I go through the gears while accelerating. Then after riding for 5 or 10 minutes and shutting the engine off, upon restart, it’s gone. Example: I ride it to my favorite restaurant for breakfast in the morning. Start the bike and let it idle - not a sound. But then during the 10 minute ride in town to the restaurant - tick, tick, tick....as I accelerate. Get to the restaurant, have breakfast, start the bike up, leave, and no ticking as I accelerate going home or for a ride. Engine ticks accelerating after a cold start but doesn’t after a warm/hot start. It’s not a “ping” associated with bad or low octane gas. Opinions???

·
Rider
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sound like an exhaust leak, and once the engine warms up the metal expands the ticking stops. Does it sound like an exhaust leak?
I’m not much of a mechanic, so not sure what an exhaust leak sounds like. Sorry.
The ticking is coming from the front of the engine - from under the fairing.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
Not sure if you can get at it, but the exhaust header is attached to the head with 2 bolts. I would wait until it is cold, squirt them with WD40 so they are not frozen up, and then tighten them up. If they are not accessible, you might have to let a Polaris/Indian mechanic, or someone very familiar with the 111 engine, to tighten those bolts for you, and also tighten the back header bolts.

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
For whatever reason,it kinda sounds like the oil is alittle slow getting to the top end of the motor.What oil are ya using? The reason I ask is cause mine used to"USED TO" do that,but not anymore.One thing I always do,no matter what I'm driving or piece of equipment I'm using, is ALWAYS allow the motor to run for several minutes BEFORE driving off or putting said piece of equipment into service.So try letting it run for 5 or 6 minutes before driving off [cold motor] to see if that makes any difference!! Whadaya have to lose?? Dave!!!

·
Rider
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
For whatever reason,it kinda sounds like the oil is alittle slow getting to the top end of the motor.What oil are ya using? The reason I ask is cause mine used to"USED TO" do that,but not anymore.One thing I always do,no matter what I'm driving or piece of equipment I'm using, is ALWAYS allow the motor to run for several minutes BEFORE driving off or putting said piece of equipment into service.So try letting it run for 5 or 6 minutes before driving off [cold motor] to see if that makes any difference!! Whadaya have to lose?? Dave!!!
Develop the ticking using Indian oil. Changed the oil last week and switched to Amsoil hoping it would help. I was wrong. But you are correct - I don’t have anything to lose.

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
Are you allowing it to run for a few minutes to warm it up so it gets to where it needs to get to before driving off??

·
Rider
1,233 Posts
When I start my Thunder Stroke, it idles till the heads are too hot to touch, maybe 5 minutes before I ride the Chieftain. Even after a 5 minute idle, the oil filter is cold, so I keep my shifts at 2k for another mile or so.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It sounds like you are hearing sticking cam lifters. They are oil-filled and if one gets an airlock it will tick until it fills properly. They sit at the bottom of pushrods coming up each tube on the right side of the motor.

The service manual says to run the bike at a high idle speed for ten minutes.

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
Exactly!! I forgot to mention that! DUH!!! I also did that, running the motor at fast idle [about 1200 rpm] for ten solid minutes and it made all the difference in the world. Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I start it, put my helmet and gloves on, get on it, back it out of the garage, and then head out. Probably should wait longer.
No, that's exactly what I've done for the last 23K. I can't imagine idling for 5 minutes before heading out, I just keep the rpm's down until it's fully warmed up. I'll place a bet on loose exhaust header.

·
Rider
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds like you are hearing sticking cam lifters. They are oil-filled and if one gets an airlock it will tick until it fills properly. They sit at the bottom of pushrods coming up each tube on the right side of the motor.

The service manual says to run the bike at a high idle speed for ten minutes.
Will it self-correct or do I need to take the bike to my dealership? Is it causing further damage?

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
All ya gotta do is start motor,allow it to run for a few minutes [so the oil gets to where it needs to get to] then hold the throttle at a fast idle [1000-1200 rpm] for a SOLID TEN MINUTES.And this is right in the shop manual and where I got it from!! So I performed that procedure and guess what?? NO MORE LIFTER or motor TOP END NOISE!! Pretty cool,huh?? lol

·
Rider
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started it this morning and let it idle for 5 minutes. As I was backing the bike out of my garage, I took the RPM’s up to 1,000 - 1,200. It did help. Could hear a very, very slight tick while accelerating. Again, after breakfast, it sounded fine on the trip home.

·
Rider
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure what kind of oil you're using, or where you're located, but if I were you, I would be using a full synthetic engine oil... one with with a very low first set of numbers for quick circulation. Just a thought.
Was using Indian full synthetic when the problem developed. Switched to Amsoil full synthetic 20W-50 last week. Located in NW Ohio and it has been a very hot summer.

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
I started it this morning and let it idle for 5 minutes. As I was backing the bike out of my garage, I took the RPM’s up to 1,000 - 1,200. It did help. Could hear a very, very slight tick while accelerating. Again, after breakfast, it sounded fine on the trip home.
Once the motor is warmed up,THEN ya hold the throttle at a FAST IDLE for a SOLID TEN MINUTES,not a couple minutes,cause that doesn't do jack sh**!! So try it cause ya just might like the results!! Whadaya got to lose,other then ten minutes??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts