Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a curious question. I like a idiot left a set of external lights on and it drained the battery. It’s been on the battery tender all night and getting a good charge. However. This code populated. 1038. Is there a way to clear code without going to dealer

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
That code will relate to the battery going flat and insufficient power for the ABS, once charged and the bike powered up again it will normally clear its self.

·
Rider
776 Posts
Many of the errors will automatically clear if the condition no longer exists after 3 successful start routines. Try powering on, start, stop, power off. (repeat 3 times), and see if the error goes away. If not take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The code will remain buried in the memory I guess and the dealer can recall it, however once the battery is charged and you you start and ride the bike it will clear itself, i.e it will no longer display the fault on the screen. Yes dealer can plug it in to digital wrench to clear it from the memory, but you will not know its there. No need for dealer at this stage and it will be cleared from the memory at next service when they plug it in.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Many of the errors will automatically clear if the condition no longer exists after 3 successful start routines. Try powering on, start, stop, power off. (repeat 3 times), and see if the error goes away. If not take it to the dealer.
Correct; this is one that will usually clear its self, if the voltage is correct the fault will no longer exist, its simply a warning that there is insufficient voltage to operate the ABS.

·
Rider
551 Posts
If the bike is running fine enjoy it. That code will clear after a few rides not necessarily after a few starts as mentioned above. You need to go thru a few cycles!

·
Rider
776 Posts
If the bike is running fine enjoy it. That code will clear after a few rides not necessarily after a few starts as mentioned above. You need to go thru a few cycles!
Not sure about you, but I would recommend ensuring that the fault is no longer present before going for a ride and then breaking down in an inconvenient place, especially since it may be related to the braking system. A few start routines to ensure this will take less than 30 seconds.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
When ya see a code like that,leave it on the screen,and with the motor still running, hold the toggle switch in on the left handle bar and it should disappear after 5 or 10 seconds.I just went thru that a couple weeks ago.Some numby [no names please] who drives the bike forgot to put the kick stand up before kicking it into gear and WOLA,the motor quit and a code magically appeared.But after restarting the motor,then holding the toggle switch in for a few seconds,it was gone and won't come back unless ya do it again.I've done that twice now since owning this machine.You'd think I'd learn by now,but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :rolleyes::oops: Like I've been saying right along,the operator of this machine is NOT TOO BRIGHT!!!:mad:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the feedback. I’m going to replace battery. Just as a point of reference from when I bought the bike. Original not Holding the charge. So code won’t clear.

·
Rider
551 Posts
Not sure about you, but I would recommend ensuring that the fault is no longer present before going for a ride and then breaking down in an inconvenient place, especially since it may be related to the braking system. A few start routines to ensure this will take less than 30 seconds.
This is a very common code that will appear just from the bike sitting too long without a tender. I and 3 or 4 of my friends have ridden it out. We aren't worried about losing ABS but we have been doing this for several decades.
As far as making sure the fault is not still present, switching to your voltage screen takes 2 seconds.
I never actually tried it but most systems clear after several cycles not starts. At the very least that is hard on your battery and starter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts