Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of y’all shift not using the clutch? I know you have to use it to start and stop but after 1st gear it’s smooth as an automatic once you get good at it.
That was the only way to drive the big truck. Easy on the clutch and left hand - especially now that I have arthritis in my social finger.

·
Bronze member
1,954 Posts
I only tend to do partial clutch pulls during up shifts past second gear. Sometimes completely clutchless at fourth and fifth, but I’m usually in the habit of using the clutch lever.

Reactions: WillieD and HyeHog

·
Registered
403 Posts
Many of y’all shift not using the clutch? I know you have to use it to start and stop but after 1st gear it’s smooth as an automatic once you get good at it.
That was the only way to drive the big truck. Easy on the clutch and left hand - especially now that I have arthritis in my social finger.
These look pretty cool and Craig B says they are the cats ass.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
I don't do it either cause it's NOT good for the clutch,the belt, or the transmission.But then again,it's your bike and you can do what ever ya wanna do with it.I wish all the guys who practice this procedure good luck!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I also drive a truck. 44 yrs now and done shortly. Yes and shift like you in a truck 13 & 18 speeds clutchless. But bikes are not set up the same as our trucks. Different synchros. Can it be done yes when I was younger we’d call it speed shifting. Making a steady habit of it I wouldn’t recommend for the sake of your tranny. You know as I do you can double clutch a truck all day long but if the rpm not right it’s not going anyway. With your bike you clutch your in regardless of RPM,s. As mentioned your bike if it works for you that’s fine. It’s not built for it tho.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I've been clutch less shifting for over 20 years. Not always, but mostly.
Contrary to many beliefs, There's nothing wrong with it if your doing it right.
Only had one trans issue in my life. But it was a used high mileage well beaten Yamaha YZF that was known for the issue of losing 2nd gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also drive a truck. 44 yrs now and done shortly. Yes and shift like you in a truck 13 & 18 speeds clutchless. But bikes are not set up the same as our trucks. Different synchros. Can it be done yes when I was younger we’d call it speed shifting. Making a steady habit of it I wouldn’t recommend for the sake of your tranny. You know as I do you can double clutch a truck all day long but if the rpm not right it’s not going anyway. With your bike you clutch your in regardless of RPM,s. As mentioned your bike if it works for you that’s fine. It’s not built for it tho.
Definitely not speed shifting. I don’t use the slam dunk style. You got to do it smooth and gently and it slides right in.

·
Silver member
4,852 Posts
Definitely not speed shifting. I don’t use the slam dunk style. You got to do it smooth and gently and it slides right in.
That's what she said.... :giggle: (you expected that, right? LOL )

I use the clutch, butt that's just me. Me and Mr. Murphy have become well acquainted over the years and I've learned to be gentle with my toys, mostly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to ask... What is the benefit of not using the clutch?
:unsure:
Not for speed shifting. Gently and it doesn’t even use the synchronizers. It’s easier on everything. Speed shifting is hard on the tranny even with the clutch. Easiest shifting is between 1700-2100 rpm’s. Takes a lot of practice to get it down but can cause serious damage if you try the slam-dunk style. Not trying to impress anyone...just a question.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
When one is proficient at it,
There isn't even a sign the bike shifted a gear. No jerks, no clunks, no momentary power loss to the wheel, keeps a more even load on suspension and tire contact patches, less wear on clutch and cable and lever pivots.
Smoother, faster, less fatigue less particulates in oil from clutch wear..
Many reasons to, only reasons not to is desire and abilities.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Kevin Cameron is the tech guy for Cycleworld magazine, years and years of experience running racing teams and his own business. He advises that because motorcycle transmissions use dogs on the gear faces there are no synchronizers in the gearbox. Shifting clutchless is fine if done correctly with proper rev matching. However, replacing a clutch and cable is a lot cheaper than rebuilding a tranny. It would take years to see a problem either way so use at your own discretion.

·
Rider
973 Posts
I don't even use first unless I'm in very slow traffic with a passenger but I always use the clutch

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
lol how does that go it’s like the bike you choose to ride. As long as it works for you what anyone else thinks is irrelevant. If it works I say roll with it. Being as ive never replaced a clutch or tranny on some of my high mileage bikes I’m good with the clutch thing. But if my arthritis gets that bad I just mite join in

1 - 20 of 59 Posts