Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just joined although I have been snooping around for awhile. I've got my intro posted and Well I've come to a problem that I have found no info on. I have a 2019 chieftain darkhorse and my clutch switch does not work. Dealer has had the bike since July 1st and say that this is an issue with a possible pin missing. They've replaced the switch and the left control housing and state they are waiting for polaris to direct them. They also say that 4 other bikes are in the shop with the same problem. So I ask if anyone is or has experienced this issue?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have same problem. Switch replaced and still doesn’t work. My dealer said they are waiting on further instruction from Polaris. I went ahead and got bike and still riding until they hear from Polaris. Keep us posted on your problem and I’ll do the same

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Clutch switch? Is that the button to shuffle between dash displays.
"Clutch Switch" usually refers to the micro-switch located under the black plastic cover on the underside of the clutch lever/switch cube. It tells the VCU when the clutch is pulled in, which then allows you to start the bike in-gear with the kickstand up, and it shuts off the cruise control if you pull in the clutch to downshift.

So far as a missing pin, it really depends on where the missing pin is...and "missing" most likely means "broken off". If it is missing from the VCU, then you will need a new VCU. If it is missing from either plug on the wiring harness, then it is a rather simple fix, if you know how to do basic automotive wire repair. If the pin has broken off inside the connector, then the pin can be extracted with an extractor and a new pin crimped onto the wire. If the pin is stuck inside the connector, then a new connector can also be sourced and installed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks Kitulu I didnt think of that pin, for some reason I assumed it was like a inhibitor switch located down near the clutch and gearbox area. Repairing a pin in the duesch plug can be difficult if the wire is not long enough in the loom. Peculiar for a pin to be missing and QA not picking it up, appears to be problem for a few of the members.

·
Bronze member
1,690 Posts
If a pin were missing, it would never worked. Is this the case? Are the other bike new on the showroom floor or in service bike. Corrosion can do this also, but not on a new bike. HD had the corrosion problem with a pin in the ECM connector for the fly by wire. It was widespread. It would mess up voltage feedback and cause limp mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did not tell me which end just that per polaris there should be a "pin" where there isn't. When the tech is looking. So I took it as the wire harness is missing a circuit either from the switch or at the vcm. And although I didn't find it until I went to disengage the cruise on the highway with the clutch and it red lined. Then i stalled it at a stop and she had to be in neutral to stat thats when I thought I better find out the operation of the switch design.

Thats when I took it in to the dealer who quickly shotgunned a switch which did not fix it. Then they said a "pin" was missing but polaris said to replace the left control housing. And now "pin" is still not where it should be and awaiting for response from polaris. So I'm assuming that this has never been operational. And makes me mad to think that who ever pre deliver inspected my bike did not check it thoroughly despite charging me.

I contacted polaris directly and they are are saying to keep in contact with the shop that they are still diagnosing the problem. And then when I told them that they are waiting for polaris to direct them they told me that there polaris techs are working with the dealership on this new problem and to wait.

Sorry for the storybook but its been over a month for a 2 wire circuit and is quite simple to diagnose with a multimeter. And to know which part is no good. Which sounds like I'm getting a revised harness. But no straight answers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If it is N/C switch this can be checked by doing a continuity check with a multi meter. if not then loop the to pins by passing the switch , this is a peculiar safety issue. It was mentioned earlier that the bike red lined and then shut down, something serious here. Someone is BS you, be careful and get a reputable bike mechanic or auto elec to check the bike. I am not sure how the clutch switch would over ride the fly wire. It all sounds scary ECM issues if possible. Get some good advice I am a long time rider and sparky by trade. I doubt it is a simple bootlace or pin connector issue.
Good luck, I am curious hat the fault is though

·
Bronze member
5,089 Posts
I am not sure how the clutch switch would over ride the fly wire.
It's not so much overriding the fly by wire, it's turning off the cruise control. Hit either brake and it turns off the cruise, twist the throttle forward or pull in the clutch and it turns off. When the bike re-lined, it meant that the clutch didn't turn off the cruise and the motor was spinning without any load.

·
Bronze member
5,089 Posts
I have same problem. Switch replaced and still doesn’t work. My dealer said they are waiting on further instruction from Polaris. I went ahead and got bike and still riding until they hear from Polaris. Keep us posted on your problem and I’ll do the same
It's not unknown for a clutch switch to build up a bit of grime around the actuator pin (not electrical connection pin) and stop operating. That's an easy fix. But to have bikes in common with an electrical component missing is unusual. I wonder if there was a bad batch of connectors at some time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I didn't find it until I went to disengage the cruise on the highway with the clutch and it red lined. Then i stalled it at a stop and she had to be in neutral to stat
I agree Dr.Shifty there is definitely an issue and highly unlikely that the wiring loom has missing connector pins or wire
I will check the actuator pin for grime on my bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '19 Chieftain Limited has the same problem. I bought her in September and all was well until two weeks ago just before I rang 5k. I can no longer start my bike in 1st gear. I have a scheduled 5k inspection tomorrow and hope to get this addressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I have been informed my bike is fixed. They swapped the switch with a good running bike and its fixed. Apparently the chieftain is the only model to have this issue and it's simply faulty batch of clutch switches. When I pick up my bike I may be able to find out if part numbers are different and or what my original number and the first replacement was. I will update with any info I can to try and help anyone else along.

·
Registered
309 Posts
well done glad too hear the fault has been rectified, it is annoying when you baby is playing up. We are like big kids, only happy when everything goes to plan ha ha

·
Bronze member
1,690 Posts
Honestly, I’m not impressed that between the dealer and the PI tech support the theory of a missing pin was actually considered before anyone homed out the switch which is the obvious culprit. I am impressed that they took a part off of a new bike to troubleshoot. It’s better than waiting days for a part. I should have asked did they let you keep the borrowed switch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly, I’m not impressed that between the dealer and the PI tech support the theory of a missing pin was actually considered before anyone homed out the switch which is the obvious culprit. I am impressed that they took a part off of a new bike to troubleshoot. It’s better than waiting days for a part. I should have asked did they let you keep the borrowed switch?
I pick it up Thursday so ill know more at that time. However I agree a simple continuity check could tell a bad switch, they did order a new one right off the bat. Just obviously it was bad too. I assume me calling indian directly and bitching is what had them pulling parts from a new working machine. In all im just happy to have my bike fixed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts