Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, once again, my clutch switch has broken. Back in May, I ordered two from Cheap Cycle Parts (because the damn thing always breaks). Yesterday, I checked the order status because I haven't recieved it yet. It shows as "in process", which is not unusual with them...I have recieved orders from them a year ago that still show as "in process". However, the e-mail that I got back from their CS said that the part is out of stock, and they don't have an ETA of when the parts will be available.

Ok, fine. I went to the Indian website, and it is ALSO out of stock there!

Found some on Bike Bandit, and hopefully they actually have some in stock and can ship them out.

Right now, I have the old switch taped closed so that I can use my cruise control. While troubleshooting, I discovered that the little plastic guide pins had broken off in the housing, so I had to drill those out in preparation for, someday, getting a new switch.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
This switch needs to be reengineered - too many failures. The little metal tab is too fragile and the small plastic post is prone to breaking off in the clutch lever assembly.

·
Rider
528 Posts
It's just a standard micro switch. You should be able to get a manufacturers number from the switch itself and get one for a couple bucks online from one of the big electrical supply houses

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I've replaced mine once, because I broke it while upgrading my clutch cable to a Barnett to prevent issues with that. Almost 125,000 miles on the bike now, riding in all kinds of weather, and the clutch switch is still working fine. (Watch, now that I've said that it'll stop working, :p) Anyway, my point is, I wonder why a few people keep having repeated failures and others have none on the very same part?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not sure if that's a normal dealer stock or not but something I found out recently is that it may be in stock at another dealer. Call around and check. Just because something is on back order doesn't mean it's not hanging around somewhere else. And don't limit yourself to your state.

·
Rider
360 Posts
I just replaced mine. It quit at 95 K. Can you imagine how often this lil switch is activated in the course of just a few thousand miles? (Not rubbing salt, I just find it interesting) (Maybe the switches in the 14s were tougher?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cherry, and Omron, and a few others make very similar switches. I would look for manufacturer name. Should be able to source thru them. Also check Microswitch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts