Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Clutch Slipping

2808 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Staedtler
Brand new 2021 SDH with less than 60 miles on it (left the dealer with 0 miles).
On the way home I noticed that when rolling on the throttle the engine rpms would increase but speed wouldn't. Roll off the throttle and clutch seemed to engage and accelleration ensued. And no, not riding it like I stole it since I want to get it broken in first.

Seemed to get worse the closer I got to home, despite two long stops (Ferry ride and grabbing a few steaks at a butcher). Dealer picked the bike up today to check it out and possibly replace the clutch.

I guess my question is... has anyone else experienced this and what was the culprit if you did?

There was free play in the clutch cable when I left the dealer. By the time I got home there was no free play at all and in fact seems to be a bit of tension in it.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loosen off the cable and get some clutch free-play. Hopefully, that solves your problem.

Happened to me right after I got my 10,000 km checkup.

--
Gordon
Yeah that is what I wanted to do but the dealer insisted on picking it up and going over it. Says it shouldn't do that in less than 50 miles. It started slipping about 5 miles from the dealer. Should have turned around but figured it was a bit wet and slick so maybe it was just me getting used to the tyres and all.

So they will pull the clucth and check it out apparently. Said they have had a few like this across the country but it is rare and only on Chieftans so far. But those have the same ENG so they wanted to check it out.

· Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,991 Posts
As mentioned, it is probably just the cable needs adjusting. In higher gears it is most obvious that there is slippage when the clutch cable is out of adjustment. But, since your bike does have the newer "slipper clutch", maybe there is something else going on. I'll be intereseted to find out what the dealer has to say.

· Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned, it is probably just the cable needs adjusting. In higher gears it is most obvious that there is slippage when the clutch cable is out of adjustment. But, since your bike does have the newer "slipper clutch", maybe there is something else going on. I'll be intereseted to find out what the dealer has to say.
Will definitely let you all know when I find out. Hopefully nothing too bad. Yesterday and today have been decent weather and I should be out riding it, not having it in the shop already :(

· Registered
2021 Roadmaster
117 Posts
I've had this happen to my RM, the dealer suspects the new clutch design and is going to look at it. Adjusting the clutch reduced but did not el9iminate the issue; it gets worse as the engine heats up.

· Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update,

Dealer called and they too noticed the cable was extremely tight. Pulled the clutch since they were worried that it had been slipping since I took it from them (There was play in the cable when I left, I noticed this since I tend to notice things like that) and they were worried the plates may be scorched. Well apparently there is a difference in the clutch plates from earlier models and the 2021 model. Older models apparently have 2 plates that are different from the rest and 2021 all plates are the same. Mine apparently had 1 plate from an older model and the rest were the same.

Will see how it goes once I get it back and put more miles on it.

Should get the bike back on Saturday. Would be sooner but due to Turkey day, it will be Saturday. So I guess i will have to go ride the KTM 990 SMT or 990 ADV, Not taking the Duc 996 SPS out in this weather.

· Registered
2021 Roadmaster
117 Posts
Mine is an early production 2021 (December 2020). I will definitely be able to use this information in speaking with the dealer and (if needed) Polaris. Thanks for the update!

· Registered
2019 FTR1200S
108 Posts
I have found this before on Chieftains, for some reason clutch cable is set too tight, you can tell by the lack of free play at the lever. Seems these are pretty sensitive to cable adjustment.
Found that when warm during high gear roll on revs would flair but without direct increase in road speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.