Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the primary cover off, should the lift rack be able to spin freely without the pinion shaft engaged, or should it be somehow locked in place?

·
Registered
492 Posts
What are you trying to do? I have not heard of a "lift rack" in the primary drive side. Be a bit more specific please. P.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mr. P - thank you for responding. Forgive the confusion; I sometimes express myself poorly. On the company website, it is referred to as the clutch " lift rack"; in the service manual, as only the clutch "rack". It meshes with the clutch pinion shaft, converting the shaft's rotational movement into a direct outward lateral force, and pulls the pressure plate away from the clutch rings during clutch disengagement. It is pictured below as #2.
Just this morning, I removed the primary cover and found the answer to my question. Although the lift rack is keyed (note the 3 ears on the green section), the center shaft (in orange) rides within a bearing and seems to rotate freely. I'm not sure why, but as long as that's normal, I'm happy. I suppose one just needs to check the position of the lift's center shaft before attempting to reinstall the primary cover and re engage the pinion shaft. Thanks again - Woody.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts