Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun to notice an occasional rattle, usually when slowing right down for a turn. I was relieved to discover that it's merely the clutch lever, which rattles when vibrations hit a certain frequency. At first I thought the bolt which holds the lever in must be loose, but it's done up tight. So I'm wondering if there might be a spacer/washer that's come adrift, or perhaps it's always done this but I've only just noticed. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Depending on the clearance, you might try to find a waffle-washer to take up the excess clearance. Not sure what you have available for these, but various sizes (ID, OD and thickness) and materials are generally available. BTW...I had the same problem with my 1st run Scout and used a waffle washer (very thin stainless steel) to address the rattle. Keep us updated on your solution.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. Just to know that others have experienced this is reassuring. I've been using my fingers to steady it, but will look out a washer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yep mine on a chieftain has a buzz to it. sometimes it bugs me and sometimes it doesn't, one more of the bike's character. lol

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Is there a point when adjusting the clutch cable the bike will not start while in gear? It is like the clutch cable hasn't been squeezed enough. It will only start with the kickstand up and in neutral.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a point when adjusting the clutch cable the bike will not start while in gear? It is like the clutch cable hasn't been squeezed enough. It will only start with the kickstand up and in neutral.
That makes sense to me that if the clutch isn't fully disengaging then the bike won't start in gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get the Barnett replacement cable. Best bang for the buck you will ever spend on the Scout. I stretched my OEM cable past adjustment before 5,000 miles. The Barnett fits better and the adjustment holds, eliminating the slack that causes the rattle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts