Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which clutch upgrade to get. My needs are :
  • getting rig of clutch slipping in 5th and 6th at WOT around 3000-3500 rpm
  • regular heavy WOT accelerations, but not a drag strip bike
  • keep a relatively easy neutral-find, similar to stock if possible
  • would like clutch pull not to be a left-hand killer when stuck in traffic
My config is 2015-Roadmaster, Indian stage-2, FP True-Dual pipes, V&H turndown muffler, Indian performance intake (soon to be further upgraded).

My choices are :
  • only replace springs with heavy-duty springs (already got HD springs)
  • Barnett 7 Carbon-fiber friction plates kit (Part# 303-40-20014, 200$)
  • Barnett 8 Kevlar-fiber friction plates kit (Part# 304-40-10016, 224$)
  • Indian 7 plates performance clutch kit (Item # 2883957, 310$)
Mostly trying to decide between the two Barnett kits, but still open to other options

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought the Barnett Extra Plate kit (Part# 304-40-10016) for under $200 on eBay. Also picked up Barnett Clutch Shaft Arm hoping to find neutral easier and smooth shifting.

Used stock springs (HD is where you will feel it in the lever). 2017 RM Stage 2

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
I personally can't comment on the other clutches haven't tried them, but with the Extra Plate kit they grab real well. Very solid engagement to where my front wheel feels lighter taking off from a standstill. Not easy getting into neutral though. Need to get that modified clutch arm next.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I adjusted my clutch so the clearance is the gap of a credit card. Now it is very easy to find neutral anytime and there is NO slipping..........

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I adjusted my clutch so the clearance is the gap of a credit card. Now it is very easy to find neutral anytime and there is NO slipping..........
Which performance clutch? Searching for information regarding the performance clutches and HD springs... And if possible comparison from those that have tried more than one type of performance clutch.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just installed the extra plate Barnett and used the springs that came with the kit. Works great but neutral is hard to find. I'm not sure what Aussie meant by adjusting the clutch. No adjustment on clutch, only on clutch cable.

·
Bronze member
1,278 Posts
That is where you make the adjustment is at the cable, it is a very small sweet spot but when you find it you will be happy!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
If you have the clutch working...adjust it so there is a credit card gap of free play at the lever. I was having the same problem as you...but the lever adjustment needs to be small......

·
Rider
464 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Chieftain Limited and I am having them do the 116 BBK. I also had the Indian performance clutch on the list for them to do. The service tech recommended just doing the heavy duty springs that come in the 116 BBK. He said that in his opinion the clutch kit was not needed. We will see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts