Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace their clutch cable yet? Mine broke today, I was at work getting out for lunch. It started off and I hit the kill switch, was an ugly stop but we both made it thru it.
Daytona Indian is the only one listed in the Southeast that has one in stock. Guess what, their closed days are Tuesday and Wed...go figure. So tomorrow the search will continue to another region. Polaris will not direct ship is what my dealer told me. Got plans for the weekend and need to get installed, which brings me to the main question. Has anyone replaced one yet? If so, is it just the typical manner of replacement? Pointers if anyone has any. Probably time to buy a manual. I done it several times on other bikes and never a problem.

Thanks / broke cable and down, what a bi%@h.

·
Bronze member
1,778 Posts
Has anyone had to replace their clutch cable yet? Mine broke today, I was at work getting out for lunch. It started off and I hit the kill switch, was an ugly stop but we both made it thru it.
Daytona Indian is the only one listed in the Southeast that has one in stock. Guess what, their closed days are Tuesday and Wed...go figure. So tomorrow the search will continue to another region. Polaris will not direct ship is what my dealer told me. Got plans for the weekend and need to get installed, which brings me to the main question. Has anyone replaced one yet? If so, is it just the typical manner of replacement? Pointers if anyone has any. Probably time to buy a manual. I done it several times on other bikes and never a problem.

Sounds like a warranty issue to me. That clutch cable should last 100 years based on how easy it is. I'd have the dealer do a fix it while you wait….if it were me.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I agree, if your still under warranty than I would let the dealer do it.

I've replaced mine but not because it broke. I had read about a couple cables breaking and I decided to replace mine with a Barnett high efficiency cable. Indian Chief (All) (2014-2016) - Barnett Tool & Engineering

The installation is much more involved than any I've done before. I have a Vintage and to do it right you need to take the headlight bezel apart to get at the cable retainer as well as loosen up the frame side rail to get the cable end into the opening between the rail and engine. To get the frame rail loose you first have to take off the front highway bar and the floor boards.

You should have a shop manual to reference the sequence and torques, one use will pay for the manual vs taking it in.

Addition: The Barnett cable does not come with the rubber boot that is on the stock cable at the clutch end. I thought it was important to keep the road grime out so I was able to take off the OE boot and install it on the Barnett end. The OE cable end has a collar for the boot to slide on where the Barnett does not. This is the one thing that Barnett should have on their cable.

·
Rider
562 Posts
I agree, if your still under warranty than I would let the dealer do it.

I've replaced mine but not because it broke. I had read about a couple cables breaking and I decided to replace mine with a Barnett high efficiency cable. Indian Chief (All) (2014-2016) - Barnett Tool & Engineering

The installation is much more involved than any I've done before. I have a Vintage and to do it right you need to take the headlight bezel apart to get at the cable retainer as well as loosen up the frame side rail to get the cable end into the opening between the rail and engine. To get the frame rail loose you first have to take off the front highway bar and the floor boards.

You should have a shop manual to reference the sequence and torques, one use will pay for the manual vs taking it in.
Holy Indian Smokes that is involved!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've purchased a Barnett clutch cable and am waiting for it to come it. I was just going to throw it in the saddlebag for "if" my stock cable decided to go and be able to change it on the side of the road. On the HD I had before the clutch cable change out only took a few minutes and was done with a few simple tools. With the way MillChief describes the change out, I should probably do it before my long trip. I don't want to try and do it on the side of a road somewhere where I don't have all of my tools available. Durn it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm hoping my fairing on my Chieftain doesn't need to come off or be taken apart just to change a damn clutch cable. Makes me wonder if a hydraulic clutch might have been a better idea, just saying.
Changed to a Barnett on my Chieftain. The fairing doesn't have to come apart. The lower frame section does or you'll never get the cable routed properly. It took me a couple of hours. But I retired and not in a hurry to do anything.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Going to install a Barnett too, it's still in the box in the garage. Heard too many stories of cables breaking on both Indians and Victories. On my Victory I carried a spare with me. Polaris needs a better cable supplier (Barnett comes to mind) or better yet outfit them with hydraulic clutches.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
On other forum there are posts of routing it without removing really anything. I never did it. I should..............but geez, you'd think the cable would be good for a long time. Even the old J HD's I have from the 60's all have original clutch cables on them

·
Registered
72 Posts

Bwana6 - curious, where on the cable did it break? (The cable end barrels on the lever end and down below on the little arm should be cleaned and greased a couple times a year)

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Had a Barnett Clutch Cable installed on my 2015 Chieftain 10 days ago, didn't trust the factory Indian one after reading that it broke for several Riders that posted here and my Dealer says that they had to replace two in the last couple of months.

It is a lot higher in quality than the factory cable, took about 2 hours to route and install it like the original.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I wasn't ready to die just yet... God was looking over me for sure. Was stopped at a stop sign about to pull out on the highway yesterday on my Indian, with the bike in 1st and clutch pulled in, waiting for traffic to pass before I pulled out, and BAM. Clutch cable broke. The bike started rolling forward with a semi fast approaching. I was able to get across two lanes of highway to the median on the other side before being annihilated by the semi and 5-6 cars traveling at 60+ mph. Hit the kill switch as heavy traffic blew by me with only about 2 feet of space between a jersey barrier and the white line. This morning I looked up Indian clutch cable failure, and there are tons of entires on blog sites about this happening on my model Indian (2014 Vintage). Corporate will be hearing from me for sure as their faulty cables almost cost me my life. I love my family too much to go just yet... This thing has had too many BS problems for what I paid. I expected better.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Glad you made it. I sure wouldn't put another factory cable on it even if was replaced by Corporate. Next time you might not be so lucky.

I would go with a Barnett Clutch Cable as I posted back in April. The cable is built better in many ways and shouldn't break on you. Got over 18,000 miles on the Barnett and really like it.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you made it. I sure wouldn't put another factory cable on it even if was replaced by Corporate. Next time you might not be so lucky.

I would go with a Barnett Clutch Cable as I posted back in April. The cable is built better in many ways and shouldn't break on you. Got over 18,000 miles on the Barnett and really like it.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Barnett for sure. Indian is going to pay for the install wether they know it or not yet. These people are negligent to say the very least. This should be a recall item and it should be properly handled. A new rider in my situation would be in a box today getting ready to become fertilizer.

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
Hey guys! May I suggest that, no matter what brand the cable is, lube that sucker. Once they're lubed, especially when they're new, cables last almost forever. If you've never lubed a cable, check out motorcycle cable luber - Google Search
And don't forget to grease the ends where they attach to the levers and the slot in the lever that the top of the cable moves within. Most of the time that's where they end up breaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys! May I suggest that, no matter what brand the cable is, lube that sucker. Once they're lubed, especially when they're new, cables last almost forever. If you've never done, check out motorcycle cable luber - Google Search
And don't forget to grease the ends where they attach to the levers and the slot in the lever that the top of the cable moves within. Most of the time that's where they end up breaking.
Double check lubing the cable itself! Most new style cables are Teflon coated and you -do not- want to lube the interior cable. It will swell and gum up. As has been reported on this thread, you must clean and grease the barrel ends of the cable at least a couple of times a year because that's where they always break.
DP

1 - 20 of 75 Posts