Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch cable broke on Tuesday. Thankfully a dealer had one in, and it arrived in time for me to fit it today. I thought I'd followed the routing of the original cable carefully, but after fitting the new one I realise that I'm unsure as to whether the cable should run above or below the bottom bracket of the radiator. As you can see, I ran it above, which gives the cable the shortest run. However, that means it's lying against the bottom part of the engine casing, and I wonder if it might get overheated there. Any thoughts?
Cable arrow 1.jpg Cable arrow 2.jpg Cable arrow 3.jpg

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think you were on the right track, but can't see where you're fouling the engine casing. Will have a look when I get my Scout out tomorrow, may be more obvious in daylight and outside.

I have the cable held in place with cable ties running along the RH side /bottom ... that's what they look like anyway.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you were on the right track, but can't see where you're fouling the engine casing. Will have a look when I get my Scout out tomorrow, may be more obvious in daylight and outside.

I have the cable held in place with cable ties running along the RH side /bottom ... that's what they look like anyway.
Thank you. Yes, the cable ties hold it in place. In the right-hand picture above I've hooked the cable around an engine stud, but it seems happier just to run alongside that engine casing and down to the forward cable tie. My concern is whether or not that contact with the engine will make the cable hotter than is good for it. Having looked at more pictures of my Scout from last year, I think that it was indeed resting along the engine casing. So it should be OK.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Thank you. Yes, the cable ties hold it in place. In the right-hand picture above I've hooked the cable around an engine stud, but it seems happier just to run alongside that engine casing and down to the forward cable tie. My concern is whether or not that contact with the engine will make the cable hotter than is good for it. Having looked at more pictures of my Scout from last year, I think that it was indeed resting along the engine casing. So it should be OK.
Your good.
That's where mine runs, and that part of the engine won't get warm enough to be a detriment.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your good.
That's where mine runs, and that part of the engine won't get warm enough to be a detriment.
Thank you! I appreciate your reassurance. All I need now is decent enough weather for a good ride; then I'll be able to put this clutch cable incident behind me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I would figure whatever route is the most annoying/time consuming...ha. The clutch line when I upgraded on the Chief goes under the engine between the frame. So I had to take part of the frame off to make room to get it out and reinstall.

Long as it feels good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts