Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting a set of IMC beach bars on and need to take the old clutch cable out. Got it disconnected at both ends and the bars mounted, but how in hell do you get the damn thing from between the frame and engine??? Or is there a two piece design, because from what I'm seeing, there is only enough room for the cable housing itself, little things like the end or the adjustment won't fit through?

Thanks

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,913 Posts
You have to loosen up the left side frame rail. Have the bike supported on a stand because this is a stressed member.
You should really have a service manual if you are going to start projects such as this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. BTW, I've got a service manual, it says, after going into detail about removing the clutch lever and using a shop rag and adjustable wrench to release tension on the clutch and how to take the ends out, to "remove clutch cable" No detail or mention of loosening or taking anything else apart.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Think I've read on this here forum that some guys just cut the cable in half then remove it, pull it thru the engine/frame area. Then re-route the new cable. I've never removed my cable so not sure if that method is acceptable. Bigger better minds might chime in.

·
Bronze member
2,370 Posts
I've heard that you can just loosen the down bar and get it out by flexing it.
I just pulled the down bar off completely and pulled it out. I don't think it took much longer.
Cutting the old one if you don't want it works also.
A lot of people reroute it when they put the new one in on the outside of the bar and behind the kick stand bump pad.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Remove the floorboard, disconnect the shift linkage, and loosen the 4 bolts that go through the frame and engine. You don't have to pull the bolts all the way out.

Be sure to support the engine with a jack. You may have to pry the frame away from the engine while pulling the cable through.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just cut the cable and run a new one, they are cheap and it will save you a huge headache!
You still have to loosen the frame bolts to route the cable through the stock routing location. When I replaced mine with a Barnett cable, the cable wasn't long enough to route under the frame as some have done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phone and internets been down for a week so it took a while to get back to this. Is there a source of longer cables? I'd love to just cut the SOB and rout it around.

Barnett list one plus 6", should be enough?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Phone and internets been down for a week so it took a while to get back to this. Is there a source of longer cables? I'd love to just cut the SOB and rout it around.

Barnett list one plus 6", should be enough?
the +6 gives you 6 extra inches. When I tried to route my barnett cable outside the frame, I was short by two or three inches, so +6 should be enough.

Reactions: Blademaker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts