Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after lots of reading I decided to bite the bullet and get a new clutch cable. Changing the cable was a cinch, I adjusted the free play at the lever but now I notice it's a bit harder to shift from 1st to 2nd, and finding Neutral is a PITA. what did I miss?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
If neutral is hard to find suddenly there's a big chance there's too much free play, OR, the cable isn't properly seated at both ends (which still leads to too much free play, but harder to measure).

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm I'll have to take a better look, but I'm sure everything is seated correctly BUT!!!!!! I like your train of thought I could have missed one end or the other

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
The best way to lessen your clutch pull effort is to replace the cable with a Barnett cable and properly adjust the free play per the Indian shop manual.

Barnett cables have a far lower friction coeffient than the OEM cables and are less likely to stretch.
Have used them on most of my bikes since the seventies.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just installed a Barnett cable a couple or do weeks ago after running the OEM for 8+k miles. Easy swap, “credit card thickness” of free play only and voila, great upgrade over OEM 👍

·
Bronze member
1,462 Posts
Even with a new cable it is Possibly your routing has the cable housing where it try’s to flex/pull against an area or surface. It will feel a little vague when this is the case. Simply slightly pull the clutch lever and watch the cable housing if it try’s to move or flex sideways or away from what ever may have it in a slight bind -so to speak. Barnett cables are the best ones made IMO. One of the first changes I made. I always just tie a nylon string to the old cable and housing at the clutch end and pull old cable and housing from the bars/lever end. Then tie the new cable at the clutch end and pull back down through the spaces the original was at. However-Since it may not be in the correct location now, go to the Indian dealer and take pics w/phone starting where the cable starts going down by the headlight and forks, etc.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good afternoon all, here is the issue and fix.
after installing the new clutch cable, downshifting was hard as all get out and when going from second to first, I could not hit neutral. Also when I pit it in first gear with the clutch squeezed, it felt like the bike wanted to roll forward. The issue was to much play. I adjusted to spec, but it still had to much play. after some fine tuning, I got it to shift normally. I gotta say that "credit card" worth of play is right on. Thanks for the idea JoyRider

·
Registered
455 Posts
You are very welcome and I'm SO GLAD you now love your Barnett clutch cable, too :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts