Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading some horror stories on the Indian Facebook pages. Folks wrecking there bike into cars, heading out into intersections, all kinds of MAYHEM like the insurance commercial. Its due to clutch cable failure. Is this something the internet in amplifying ( as it tends to do) or is it a point of concern. Should one be proactive and change the damn thing ahead of time. Searching here, I did not find much. Thanks, and cheers, Dave

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I just worked on an 85,000 mile Chieftain with its original clutch cable - in good condition with no signs of failure yet. Do they break? Certainly, as with any mechanical part. Are these prone to frequent failure? NO. They are good quality Teflon lined steel cables meant to last. Do they require maintenance? Certainly, They need to be kept clean and well lubricated at the ends and the routine is in your owner's manual.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
I have been reading some horror stories on the Indian Facebook pages. Folks wrecking there bike into cars, heading out into intersections, all kinds of MAYHEM like the insurance commercial. Its due to clutch cable failure. Is this something the internet in amplifying ( as it tends to do) or is it a point of concern. Should one be proactive and change the damn thing ahead of time. Searching here, I did not find much. Thanks, and cheers, Dave
I did!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just worked on an 85,000 mile Chieftain with its original clutch cable - in good condition with no signs of failure yet. Do they break? Certainly, as with any mechanical part. Are these prone to frequent failure? NO. They are good quality Teflon lined steel cables meant to last. Do they require maintenance? Certainly, They need to be kept clean and well lubricated at the ends and the routine is in your owner's manual.
Wow! that is good to know. Thank You! The barnett cable is teflon coated as well. Please riddle me this. Can one see the OEM clutch cable start to fray? Or is failure instant?

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Wow! that is good to know. Thank You! The barnett cable is teflon coated as well. Please riddle me this. Can one see the OEM clutch cable start to fray? Or is failure instant?

The cable should be inspected at the ball end on both the clutch lever and shaft arm periodically. The clutch levers where the cable slides through tend to wear that area the most.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cable should be inspected at the ball end on both the clutch lever and shaft arm periodically. The clutch levers where the cable slides through tend to wear that area the most.
Can you see the wear why the cable is in place, or do you have to remove it? Is it worth buying the Barnett in a Pro Active measure. I would just hate for my cable to break launching me into an intersection !

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Can you see the wear why the cable is in place, or do you have to remove it? Is it worth buying the Barnett in a Pro Active measure. I would just hate for my cable to break launching me into an intersection !

The lever on the clutch shaft arm is easy to see, the clutch lver needs to be removed which is pretty simple.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The Barnett cable is a good pro-active measure... but not a high-risk item really. If I spent most of my time in or around a lot of traffic, I suppose the risk factor would be somewhat increased. Usually the worst that happens with a cable break is you get stuck somewhere. As far as seeing signs of wear vs instant failure goes, I would immediately replace that cable as soon as I saw any sign of damage or decay/wear. You can closely inspect the ends without any trouble, and this is where they break (if at all).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Barnett cable is a good pro-active measure... but not a high-risk item really. If I spent most of my time in or around a lot of traffic, I suppose the risk factor would be somewhat increased. Usually the worst that happens with a cable break is you get stuck somewhere. As far as seeing signs of wear vs instant failure goes, I would immediately replace that cable as soon as I saw any sign of damage or decay/wear. You can closely inspect the ends without any trouble, and this is where they break (if at all).
Thank you Dieselgman! I will keep an eye on the cable at the lever end! Question, If it was to break... is it covered while bike is in warrantee?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW I think the "loosing control, and clutch out of control chaos is greatly exaggerated"
The one guy that lost control in garage did show the picture. OTOH, his level of skill remains to be a question. I always cover front brake. I also make damn sure my steering is straight a head when coming to a stop. ... or that "PAINT" will throw your butt!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could try to paste the FB link ????

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a clutch cable breaking could launch you into an intersection.

Slight lurch forward and a stall? Sure.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Loss of control due to equipment failure, a rarity. If it were common, it would quickly become an issue for the manufacturer and NTSB.

Good safety practices dictate keeping your bike in perfect condition, and maintenance cannot be skipped without a commensurate increase in your risk factors. Take good care of your machine, it will take good care of you.

·
Rider
396 Posts
I can see where a clutch cable might cause the bike to lurch forward if you were stopped at a light and stall. Perhaps making you drop it. How is it causing them to run out into an intersection or wreck into another car? Or run out into an intersection? If a lurch forward and stall launches you into a car in front of you wouldn't that mean you were too close or almost out into the intersection anyway? If it accelerates you into the intersection that would mean that your hand was off the brake the bike was in gear and you were giving it gas pulling out and acceleratng anyway.

The most I've heard about the clutch cable failures is leaving you stranded. If clutch cable failures were that big of a concern in motorcycling generally the system would've changed. The situation you describe as seen on the Fb pages seems like people panicked and grabbed a handful of gas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts