Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried a torx T-30 on the lever bracket screws but they seem to be sloppy in the screw heads and I know there not T-40's.

I will be buying the 2015 service manual when it comes out but, can someone with a 2014 manual look if they call for a T-30 bit? I want to turn my levers some for comfort but don't want to strip out the heads or are they mis punched to begin with?

Thanks in advance for any help,

MillChief

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't help you with the bit size, but I can tell you when I rotated my clutch lever up it made it really hard to pull. Seemed that it put the clutch cable in a bind. Had to move it back down for it to release properly. I didn't fool with trying to change the routing of the cable, so you might can do that.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I knew I had adjusted the clutch lever on my Chieftain, but I didn't know what size it was. So I went out in the garage and looked, the bike is parked right next to toolbox. I used a t-30 which fit a little loose, but the next one I had was a t-40 so maybe there's a t-35 ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
On my 15 roadmaster, yes the t-30 is very insignificantly loose, but I'm not sure they even make a t-31 or 32 since it is that close Torx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. My guess is, the bolt started as a t-40, and chroming it changed that. I was able to easily get the bolt loose with a t-30, torx are harder to strip than allens or phillips.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Torx-35 is common, but Torx-31/2/3/4 are very much not. Zeros and fives are the norm...thought HD does use the Torx-27 on the handlebars. Chroming should not have caused an issue.

It's gotta be in the Tech Manual---someone with one chime it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Manual gives the torque specs, but couldn't find the torx size. Just says number 7 is Screw, Brake Lever Clamp torque to 70 in-lbs (7.9Nm)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the info.

From what I've read there isn't a T-35 listed on any chart I could find on several searches.

I can't believe that the shop manual doesn't call out fastener bit sizes (thanks for looking danos). Do you believe the manual includes most other pertinent info you need to maintain the bike.

I don't believe that the screws are chrome plated, I'm assuming that the fastener manufacturer ran them with an oversize punch which created the loose condition with a new T-30 bit. My assumptions however haven't always been right.

I have them adjusted now using the T-30, engaged as much as possible without stripping them out.

Thanks again for the input !!!

MillChief

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pioneerscot,
Your right, I was going to buy them but the customer review that said they broke when used and that their in Hong Kong changed my mind.

Danos or others that have the 2014 Service Manual,
Without pertinent info like Fasteners and needed tools, Do you believe the service manual includes most other information one needs to maintain the bike?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Pioneerscot,
Your right, I was going to buy them but the customer review that said they broke when used and that their in Hong Kong changed my mind.

Danos or others that have the 2014 Service Manual,
Without pertinent info like Fasteners and needed tools, Do you believe the service manual includes most other information one needs to maintain the bike?
Damn good question, my guess, only time will tell, as stuff dribbles out onto the web like all other manuals. For me ten years with my Gilroy, turned me into a bike mechanic, so I will figure out a lot of it on my own, just like last time LOL.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is a large book and over 1" thick and does have a lot of info in it. I was disappointed when I wanted to learn about the radio and couldn't find any info on it. I eventually followed the antenna to find it behind the display. I think there may have been more detail in the Kingpin manual.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It is a large book and over 1" thick and does have a lot of info in it. I was disappointed when I wanted to learn about the radio and couldn't find any info on it. I eventually followed the antenna to find it behind the display. I think there may have been more detail in the Kingpin manual.
Not that they are similar, but maybe. I bought a new Highlander, the manual is huge, nothing on the radio, as that separate manual is also huge, gotta include all the lawyer speak is these things, no room for actual info.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update; I purchased the Aeromach chrome bold kit and got rid of the stock un-chromed screws on the controllers and several other fasteners, included in the kit. The stock screws were a PITA to get all of them out.

The Aeromach's are chrome, allen heads and are much better if you need to wrench on it, I would highly suggest this upgrade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts