Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my first Challenger at a demo truck event recently. I was very surprised that there was a boatload of free play in the clutch, but no issues shifting or finding neutral. My Chieftain is so finicky that only a tiny bit of play works and that's what the manual states. Is this normal for Challengers?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's suppose to have a .5-1 mm of free play at the lever. I run mine with a little more or else the clutch releases almost all the way out. I probably have 2 mm of free play.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For most of the other bikes I"ve owned, the free play spec is measured at the end of the clutch lever and in the 5-10mm range for a spec. A Challenger is measured at the other end of the lever (forgot the name of such but the junction of the lever and the housing) and therefore the spec of .5-1.5mm is much smaller. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For most of the other bikes I"ve owned, the free play spec is measured at the end of the clutch lever and in the 5-10mm range for a spec. A Challenger is measured at the other end of the lever (forgot the name of such but the junction of the lever and the housing) and therefore the spec of .5-1.5mm is much smaller. Hope that helps.
Clutch perch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts