Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed, that since I stiffened up the rear shock, for riding 2 up all the time, that when I'm alone, almost every time I go over a bump, I feel and hear this clunking coming from under the bike. It sounds almost like the kick stand is slapping down there. The return spring on the stand is pretty tight, and like I said, I don't hear it when we're doubled up. Any one else have this issue?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have had similar experience. However, to me it sounds like it's coming from the forks. In fact, it almost sounds as if, after the forks compress through the bump and then fully extend AFTER compression as they go past the bump, they hit a hard stop at full extension. I can't prove that, but it sounds like it to me. I've mentioned this to my local dealership, and they've checked the fork oil, etc. and can't find anything wrong.

But, my rear shock is also set up for two-up, heavy riding. Maybe you're on to something.

Steve

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The pin that you remove from top of rear shock to lower rear swing arm ( to remove rear axle and tire ) fits really sloppy in position on my Vintage with lots of play, it may be that ... I know I can hear it banging around , when I cross RR tracks or a bad bump

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
To check it you need to raise rear wheel off ground, take left side cover off, and with a lever ( crow bar , 2x4 , whatever ) work rear wheel up and down, in mine I can see pin moving ....:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pin that you remove from top of rear shock to lower rear swing arm ( to remove rear axle and tire ) fits really sloppy in position on my Vintage with lots of play, it may be that ... I know I can hear it banging around , when I cross RR tracks or a bad bump
Yea, RR tracks, and such are where I notice it the most. I'll put it up on the bike jack, and see if that's it. I think you got it there chief.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Hope that's what it is, but it shouldn't be like that, might bring that up to my dealer....:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine did this even before I adjusted shock. Scares me whenever it makes that sound.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The bore that the pin is in is the aluminum frame, hope it doesn't damage frame... :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The bore that the pin is in is the aluminum frame, hope it doesn't damage frame... :cool::cool::cool:
Depending on the grade of aluminum, I would be concerned that the pin might open up the clearances on the frame. Does anybody know what grade aluminum is used for the frame (T6, H32, H14...)?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I get the same sound over speed bumps, pot holes, etc. I thought maybe it was the saddle bags hitting the fender. I guess I should try it without the bags to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would have this checked for safety, seems if that pin were to snap you'd have loss of control. My bikes kinda new, only 4k on the clock, but it does not do this, it does have a slight rattle from the left fairing though, only on really heavy bumps.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Pin is made of harden steel, about an inch in diameter and upper shock mount pivots on it ...
I would have this checked for safety, seems if that pin were to snap you'd have loss of control. My bikes kinda new, only 4k on the clock, but it does not do this, it does have a slight rattle from the left fairing though, only on really heavy bumps.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
My dealer told me it was the shock bottoming out. Nice way of telling me to "lose weight fat a$$". ?? [shy]

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Vintage has a clunk at the front some times when I ride over a speed hump, to me I think it is the forks topping out, there are some loose wires from the wire loom under the speedo unit that are not secured , I have cable tied the ends to the wireloom as I hear them hit the top of the tank sometimes going over a bump.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My Vintage has a clunk at the front some times when I ride over a speed hump, to me I think it is the forks topping out, there are some loose wires from the wire loom under the speedo unit that are not secured , I have cable tied the ends to the wireloom as I hear them hit the top of the tank sometimes going over a bump.
Wish I could hear that good.........

·
Bronze member
1,510 Posts
I have experienced the same thing - mostly going through sweepers and hitting an expansion joint, but on other occasions as well. For me, it does sound like the front end and I am guessing it is just normal noise called by the rebound process.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts