Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some advice please. Someone (me):( mounted the bike with a hot pipe on poly jogging pants, and yes you guessed it, proceeded to melt said pants to the hot pipe.
Guilty as charged of stupidity. Lets not rehash my idiocy lol.
I need help. Anyone have a similar experience AND have a solution to get it off WITHOUT scratching the chrome? [arghh]

Update: I have tried nearly all sugested methods EXCEPT sandblasting, steel wools and good old OVEN Cleaner? Lol! Thanks, but not ready for extreme measures just yet. It has gotten smaller. It was about the size of a silver dollar, and now maybe the size of a nickel. What remains, seems to be going nowhere soon. Any other NON abrasive ideas? Was thinking a little gasoline (on a cold pipe of course) applied with a shop towel. Thoughts??

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did a it on a vs800 I used to own. I just carefully scraped it off then polished it with chrome polish like mothers polish you can get at Walmart

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My brother tried a gentle cleaner with so so results. I picked up some Mothers and will attempt tomorrow. You think heating the pipe up and then trying to wipe it off (wearing a leather glove of course) might do the trick, since thats how it got on there in the first place by melting?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There are threads on this forum about this very topic. Some have just run the pipes to hot and then scraped the stuff off with a wooden spatula. Others have used oven cleaner (carefully, to avoid it getting on the paint). Some have dared to use very fine wire wool. Whatever the method, most seem pleased with the results. So, don't panic or beat yourself up; this situation can be dealt with! Check through the search facility on this forum until you find the method that your happiest to use.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are threads on this forum about this very topic. Some have just run the pipes to hot and then scraped the stuff off with a wooden spatula. Others have used oven cleaner (carefully, to avoid it getting on the paint). Some have dared to use very fine wire wool. Whatever the method, most seem pleased with the results. So, don't panic or beat yourself up; this situation can be dealt with! Check through the search facility on this forum until you find the method that your happiest to use.
Sound advice. Thanks so much!

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,819 Posts
Once cooled completely I had so-so results by using a copper penny to get as much off as will chip away then using something like Goop cleaner or orange and pumice hand cleaner just working it very carefully and wiping it clean and repeat. Getting the pipes hot again won't work it's already past the melt stage and is burned dry.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once cooled completely I had so-so results by using a copper penny to get as much off as will chip away then using something like Goop cleaner or orange and pumice hand cleaner just working it very carefully and wiping it clean and repeat. Getting the pipes hot again won't work it's already past the melt stage and is burned dry.
Thanks for the help. Especially on the getting it hot part.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
oven cleaner, plastic putty knife and chrome cleaner to buff out any scratches. Good luck, we have all done it at one time or another.

Dave

Reactions: Graham UK

·
Registered
107 Posts
I melted my rain suit to the pipe. I warmed up the pipes then used a nickel and fine steel wool to remove it. Worked great and left zero scratches.

·
Silver member
3,193 Posts
Hot pipe, oven cleaner, wood paint mixer stick. Worked great for me. Left absolutely no trace of material and you would never know there was anything on the pipe.

For all the people using coins, isn't there a possibility that metal on metal may leave some scratches? Just wondering.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
I've gone the oven cleaner route and it worked great, followed with never-dull polish wadding. Then shined with bar keepers friend. The oven cleaner might take two or three applications, but this routine has worked great for me like three times.

It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it

1 - 20 of 59 Posts