Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spingfield1.jpg

The Springfield has been a very anticipated model here at the dealership. We knew somewhere along the line Indian had to come out with at least an option to put hard bags on a Classic or Vintage style Chief. It was something that people were asking for and we passed that feedback up to the guys at Indian HQ. They got it, and have responded with a model that is, at least dynamically, the best performing Chief yet in my opinion!

Quick Ride Review:
As with most of my first ride impressions, I took a new Springfield to lunch for some familiarity miles. The route I take compromises only a few short miles each way, but it's got enough of a variety to get a solid idea of what a bike's all about. The first thing you notice is the low speed manners. The reduced trail and sharper-raked touring chassis make for a very nimble 800+ pounds. The pull back bars are a bit different from anything offered from Indian till' now and are spot on for quick maneuvers. You can feel the advantage of the added leverage through the bars. The air assist shock gives an awesome ride independent of load, and the chassis just gives tons of feedback. Engine wise, nothing's changed. Still, not that the 111 motor needs much in the way of improvements. It's the same endless torque and smooth response as always. I must say though that I'm looking forward to trying those new performance cams!

My usual ride at home is a 14' Vintage, and as much as I LOVE the saddle leather bags, the convenience of the hard bags has finally won me over. They are spacious, water-tight, have a power socket, and are remote lockable. The lids are also hinged from the front so the lid open towards you on the side of the road. It's hard to explain but this makes a world of difference in practice out in the real world! The Springfield adds a level of convenience that my Vintage trades for timeless style in a sort of form over function approach. The Springfield, on the other hand, is all about style, performance, and function.

Indian has given us all the right ingredients to make this a serious back roads touring machine.

Here's some up close detail shots:

sf6.JPG

sf5.JPG

sf2.JPG
spingfield2.jpg

sprinfield5.JPG
sprinfield2.JPG

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I have been kinda' hot for the Chieftain for some time but the Springfield is my new target. Considering I ride a bike to get away from it all, the radio and other connected do-dads just don't really seem appealing any more. But c'mon Indian, give us some colors....black and red? BLAH.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks for the nice review.

I haven't seen one as yet but from the one pic it looks like there are black gaskets on the back side of the windshield moldings. I know the moldings are narrower vs a Vintage windshield, did Indian do this to help with the bugs getting stuck under the Vintage moldings?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been kinda' hot for the Chieftain for some time but the Springfield is my new target. Considering I ride a bike to get away from it all, the radio and other connected do-dads just don't really seem appealing any more. But c'mon Indian, give us some colors....black and red? BLAH.
We can paint it for you any custom color you like, and ship it anywhere in the country! :D

Check out some of our bikes in these links:

Wine Red Metallic over Pearl White Vintage Custom

Cream Yellow over Pearl White Vintage Custom

If it's something you're interested in, please feel free to contact us!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How will the $1,500 extra trade in value on a Chief affect Springfield sales as it has no special deals from Indian?
We believe both models attract different customers, with different needs and wants. One of the nicest things about the Springfield is the price. Honestly, for $20,999, it's a lot of bike for the money.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the nice review.

I haven't seen one as yet but from the one pic it looks like there are black gaskets on the back side of the windshield moldings. I know the moldings are narrower vs a Vintage windshield, did Indian do this to help with the bugs getting stuck under the Vintage moldings?
It's actually just a decal perfectly placed to cover the back side of the chrome strip. It's not a rubber gasket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
View attachment 38345

The Springfield has been a very anticipated model here at the dealership. We knew somewhere along the line Indian had to come out with at least an option to put hard bags on a Classic or Vintage style Chief. It was something that people were asking for and we passed that feedback up to the guys at Indian HQ. They got it, and have responded with a model that is, at least dynamically, the best performing Chief yet in my opinion!

Quick Ride Review:
As with most of my first ride impressions, I took a new Springfield to lunch for some familiarity miles. The route I take compromises only a few short miles each way, but it's got enough of a variety to get a solid idea of what a bike's all about. The first thing you notice is the low speed manners. The reduced trail and sharper-raked touring chassis make for a very nimble 800+ pounds. The pull back bars are a bit different from anything offered from Indian till' now and are spot on for quick maneuvers. You can feel the advantage of the added leverage through the bars. The air assist shock gives an awesome ride independent of load, and the chassis just gives tons of feedback. Engine wise, nothing's changed. Still, not that the 111 motor needs much in the way of improvements. It's the same endless torque and smooth response as always. I must say though that I'm looking forward to trying those new performance cams!

My usual ride at home is a 14' Vintage, and as much as I LOVE the saddle leather bags, the convenience of the hard bags has finally won me over. They are spacious, water-tight, have a power socket, and are remote lockable. The lids are also hinged from the front so the lid open towards you on the side of the road. It's hard to explain but this makes a world of difference in practice out in the real world! The Springfield adds a level of convenience that my Vintage trades for timeless style in a sort of form over function approach. The Springfield, on the other hand, is all about style, performance, and function.

Indian has given us all the right ingredients to make this a serious back roads touring machine.

Here's some up close detail shots:

View attachment 38350

View attachment 38351
View attachment 38352 View attachment 38356
View attachment 38347 View attachment 38349
No LED (pathfinder) head or passenger lights???!!!! wtf!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Good information......Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am getting both the $1500 trade-in (good until April 30), and the $1000 discount for veterans, making the Springfield very affordable.

I was thinking about waiting until the 2017 models came out but then I would have to risk corporate Polaris doing something stupid to it - like removing the driving lights (via the differences in 2015 and 2016 Classics). Plus I want to do two-up riding this summer and my Scout (although a great motorcycle) does not cut the mustard there. Not to slam dunk Polaris or the Scout because IMO Polaris makes the greatest motorcycles on the planet and the Scout is the best damn mid-sized cruiser around (it handles off-road pretty good, too).

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am getting both the $1500 trade-in (good until April 30), and the $1000 discount for veterans, making the Springfield very affordable.

I was thinking about waiting until the 2017 models came out but then I would have to risk corporate Polaris doing something stupid to it - like removing the driving lights (via the differences in 2015 and 2016 Classics). Plus I want to do two-up riding this summer and my Scout (although a great motorcycle) does not cut the mustard there. Not to slam dunk Polaris or the Scout because IMO Polaris makes the greatest motorcycles on the planet and the Scout is the best damn mid-sized cruiser around (it handles off-road pretty good, too).
Lute, got your Springfield yet?
If/when would love to see some pictures
Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yesterday was fun day for me. Took the day off, woke up late, went to the range, then took some Indians on a demo ride @ Rollin' Fast Cycle Sports as they were sponsoring a demo event this weekend.

First I rode the new Springfield, had a stage 2 with OEM apes. All I can say is WOW!!!! I had such a ball riding this beast. I had it going over 70MPH on 4th gear. The handling is phenomenal. The suspensions is superb. I was very surprised how comfortable the vinyl seat was and more shocked how the stage 2 gave engine feedback similarly like a Harley. The apes were not to my liking. it was a tad tall and too far forward for me to get really comfortable, but it was the best of the three models I demo rode, go figure.

Next I rode a stage 1 Chieftain.

Last was a Stage 1 Roadmaster.

I had a ball at the demo event & to me the Springfield was the best. It captures the true lines & spirit of Indians. So I highly recommend the Springfield with the stage 2, got to have that stage 2, so I can leave some Harleys in the dust. Hey got to have some fun, right?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lute, got your Springfield yet?
If/when would love to see some pictures
Thanks!
Hi Dan,
Some guy named Jersey Jeff beat me to the punch at Rollin Fast (by a scant hour :(), but I still plunked down my deposit so I should be getting the next red one they get. I don't mind "standing in line" this time because I still have my Scout to entertain me. When it comes in, I will be sure to post some pictures.

Did you make the plunge? If you are still on the fence may I suggest a pilgrimage into the wilderness (fasting and peyote/mushrooms might help the journey) to help you make the right decision?

Yep, God does indeed ride an Indian motorcycle.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I tried peyote and shrums back when I was young while camping on the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. The trees came to life and they were Indians, watching us young/dumb white boys dance around a fire. Now that was a good memory...

Now I am not so young, nor dumb and the Indians are still calling me....I think they are saying "Springfield" and keep the Scout.

I am waiting on my house in South Carolina to pay cash for the bike. Also dreaming that they may come out with a Springfield blue model this summer....perhaps that is only a dream but the trees really did come to life and watch us, some 30 years ago

1 - 16 of 16 Posts