Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Rider
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a close call on my Chieftain after work yesterday. Beautiful day in Tennessee and was riding on Hwy 127 to Winchester after work. It's a nice windy two lane road. Was traveling along about 53 mph. Noticed the truck two vehicles ahead of me was turning left. Car in front of me started to slow and I slowed down as well. Car in front of me did not have a turn signal on, so I thought she would go on straight after the truck turned. I kind of timed it so I wouldn't have to slow completely down and could pick up speed once she did. Only problem is she didn't take off. In fact, she came to a complete stop and turned her blinker on at the last minute once she was stopped. It took everything I had to get stopped without skidding or running into the back of her. Even scarier was a car right behind me. I was praying they saw me slowing suddenly and could get stopped too. Fortunately, I was able to stop with no issues and the car behind me was paying attention and got stopped too. Needless to say, I let her know that she was #1. Sure wish I had the Buffalo horn on this bike instead of the VW Beetle horn. Will be getting one soon.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hate to say it, but that was entirely your fault. You must always assume any driver in a position to harm you will do exactly what is required to harm you. Assuming that they are going to do something harmless is a really good way to git keeled. Just saying, not trying to be insulting. :(

·
Rider
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate to say it, but that was entirely your fault. You must always assume any driver in a position to harm you will do exactly what is required to harm you. Assuming that they are going to do something harmless is a really good way to git keeled. Just saying, not trying to be insulting. :(
Totally disagree. If the woman had intended to turn, she should have had her turn signal on. My only fault was assuming that she was not turning, which any logical person would do when no turn signal is given.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Totally disagree. If the woman had intended to turn, she should have had her turn signal on. My only fault was assuming that she was not turning, which any logical person would do when no turn signal is given.
you keep with that logic long as you want all your doing is setting yourself up for a accident.

what wizz said is correct ask any one that has been riding long enough or has ever taken a MSF course or taught one.

·
Founding member / rider
861 Posts
100% wrong in your assessment. You should NEVER assume that any other driver or rider will do the right thing. Situational awareness is ALWAYS your responsibility alone.

·
Rider
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you keep with that logic long as you want all your doing is setting yourself up for a accident.

what wizz said is correct ask any one that has been riding long enough or has ever taken a MSF course or taught one.
I've taken he MSF course. I've been riding for 30 years with no accidents. Never laid a bike down. I'm not arguing that we have to always assume that the worse can happen. My point was to show that people in cars are not considerate at all for folks on motorcycles. I didn't post this to get in an argument, only to point out that it's dangerous out there. That's all.

·
Rider
490 Posts
I agree with Wizz also, you have to assume everybody doesnt know how to drive, period.
Hate to say it but daydk1 made some crucial mistakes, if you couldnt panic stop were you at least way over to the side to simply
go around her? Never stay in the center of a car just for that reason, anyhow good to know your OK.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Taken tons of classes-courses too, no offense, but ultimately you are responsible for you....despite their wrongdoing. Be prepared, give space, etc. Both were in the wrong. had there been a wreck, it would have been cited at 50-50 at faults most likely. No big deal this time as no harm, no foul and not hurt

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Rider
931 Posts
What's with idiot drivers putting their signal on after coming to a complete stop? Do they really think that does something? I don't get it. It should be common sense that you would signal couple of seconds before, telling the person behind you that you intend to slow down, stop and turn. Yet many fucking idiots come to a sudden stop, then turn their signal, as if at that point we give a shit which way they're turning.
I think it's something integrally wrong with the driver's ed coz way too many people do that. Makes me furious.

Ok, I'm calm again. Glad you were ok, and I hope you gave her the finger and she saw it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,955 Posts
Had a cop with his head up his azz last weekend pull right out in front of me. Laid on the horn and scared to crap out of him.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If this driver came to a complete stop in front of you, weren't her brake lights on? That would make me stop.

·
Rider
809 Posts
First, glad you are alright and did not have an accident.

Second, I ride like everyone is intentionally trying to kill me. I am not paranoid. It is just the fact that everyone driving a cage has their head up their ass except for a few. As the one poster said even a cop. Serve and protect!

Also there are people out there doing sh!t out of spite for whatever mental reason they have. Bad day, hate motorcycles, envy/jealous, whatever the reason people are A-holes!

In your situation, I definitely would have slowed down and anticipated an exit strategy just based off of people not using their blinkers. It is like people are too F-king lazy to flip their blinker.

We as motorcyclist utilize more of the information on the road then any cager is going to. Our senses are heightened and we process data faster because our lives depend on it.

Slowing down is not always the right thing either. The other day I had to speed up a lot just to avoid a congested area during rush hour. Situation dictates.

But remember everyone is trying to kill you!

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Taken tons of classes-courses too, no offense, but ultimately you are responsible for you....despite their wrongdoing. Be prepared, give space, etc. Both were in the wrong. had there been a wreck, it would have been cited at 50-50 at faults most likely. No big deal this time as no harm, no foul and not hurt
In Missouri, the motorcyclist would have been 100% at fault. Unless you can prove otherwise, if you strike another vehicle with the front of yours, your at fault.
The theory is you should have be able to stop under all conditions or you were following too close.

·
Bronze member
2,098 Posts
I got one for you guys that you might get a chuckle out of!! Three years ago,almost to the day,I had just washed my Triumph Thunderbird,which was the machine I owned before buying my SDH,and had just used my shop vac blower attachment to get most of the water spots off it,then take it for alittle ride to further dry it off,[which I do all the time] running it over a particular road,[which again,I do all the time] when I noticed a brandy new white Toyota Sequoya stopped at the top of a driveway on my right with a female operator behind the wheel, texting,but not yet moving.Getting the picture yet??? lol Well,just as I got in front of her cruising at an even 30 MPH,[plus I drive left of center and it's a good thing I do] she PUNCHED the throttle,HARD, broad siding the back side of my machine, pushing me over the solid yellow line on to the other side of the road,and threw me into a wobble.Well, I was still able to keep the machine upright and over come the wobble AND did NOT go down.AND,as luck had it,there was no on coming traffic in that lane at that particular instant! Phew!! lol The good news was,damage to my Triumph was minimal ,damaging the right rear crash bar and folding the right side leather saddle bag "ONLY" !! I was able to save the saddle bag,but the crash bar was junk,but did its' job,as it could have been A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT worse.And I wouldn't wanna make the wife happy.lol lol

The point being,it can happen to anyone of us, at anytime,or anywhere.But what I believe saved me was the fact that I was PAYING ATTENTION,not to mention,I think there was some one else in a high place watching over me at that particular moment in time.

Anyways,I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of that story. Dave!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.