Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brake lever end popped off like pop corn. Already ordered a replacement. Indian wants $124.00 for them! I found one on eBay for $98.00. Expensive little buggers. I think I'll grind both broken edges and then JB Weld it back together so I have a spare if it happens again. Be carefull out there fellas!
lever.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
The front brake lever end popped off like pop corn. Already ordered a replacement. Indian wants $124.00 for them! I found one on eBay for $98.00. Expensive little buggers. I think I'll grind both broken edges and then JB Weld it back together so I have a spare if it happens again. Be carefull out there fellas! View attachment 4318
Sorry to hear :(

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
The front brake lever end popped off like pop corn. Already ordered a replacement. Indian wants $124.00 for them! I found one on eBay for $98.00. Expensive little buggers. I think I'll grind both broken edges and then JB Weld it back together so I have a spare if it happens again. Be carefull out there fellas! View attachment 4318
Someone else here dropped his bike (fell over). He says the new lever only cost him about $35?!?!?

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The ones for a Scout may be $36.00, but the Chief, Chieftain, Roadmaster ones are $124.00 on the Indian site. Got a bit of a discount on the eBay!
lever.png

·
Registered
186 Posts
"I think I'll grind both broken edges and then JB Weld it back together so I have a spare if it happens again. Be carefull out there fellas!"
JB Weld? You are quite the optimist. :)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Well said mate you are right as allways I am sorry if I offend you with my Blipping & CLACKING this my lot in life CLACK,CLACK
Take a look at the back of your clutch lever.
See that little notch cut in there?
That's what got ya. They are designed to break away like that and not mangle the whole lever, which would leave you stranded.

I know about this because I found myself in a similar situation a few weeks ago.
I was rocketing upriver, toward Baton Rouge on I-10 in heavy rush hour traffic.

Up ahead I'm seeing brake lights and things are rapidly closing in on my lead space.

Through the fog I am able to identify the outline of a school bus that is weaving from side to side.
I watch the path of the sway through several cycles and was able to determine that the bus was out of control.
The driver was probably asleep at the wheel or incapacitated in some fashion.

I knew that the sharp curve that lead onto the Lake Pontchartrain bridge loomed just a few short miles ahead and we were running out of time.

Instinctively, I tipped my head to the right....Think Elvis singing Love Me Tender here.
The mighty Indian swerved to the right, like it was on rails....Then my head tipped to the left and my Chief followed.
Like a Thoroughbred at full gallop with loose reins.
At that moment my bike was part of me and I was part of it.
Graceful and fluid.

I twisted up the wick on that powerful TS111 and nailed the cruise control down tight.
All that was left to do was synchronize my head tips to the exact oscillation of the swaying bus.
Side to side. Side to side.....got it.
Timing was of the essence. Like docking the space station.

As I pulled up along side the speeding bus I looked up into the windows at the screaming children.
Side to side.....c'mon Elvis, don't fail me now...
I eased up next to the drivers open window to find him slumped over the steering wheel in a full blown Ebola comma.

Just a little closer.....reach......
Up ahead I could see the bridge entrance just past the sharp bend in the road.
I knew it was "Now Or Never" so I changed my cadence of head tipping to match that tune.

As I swerved toward the bus my brake lever came into contact with that fold out stop sign there on the side of the bus.
This jerked the handlebars from my grip, just as I was able to pull myself up through the open window of the bus.
I pushed the driver out of the seat and took control of the situation.

As the bus was easing onto the shoulder I was able to watch my Chief spin around like a pinwheel. The centrifugal force was so great that it caused the side stand to drop and the bike came to rest about 100 ft. behind the stopped bus. On the sidestand, pretty as you please.

You might have seen this on CNN?

Well, the school was so grateful that they bought me a new brake lever.

The hell of it is that now I feel like I'm coming down with the flu and can't enjoy the new lever replacement.

Damn it.....where was I going with this?
Oh yeah.....you think I would ever admit to hitting a garage door?
I mean, if no one saw me do it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Somebody needs their own website as he has been on a roll the last few days.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Me too. I'm already getting real jumpy thinking I might not be able to ride until March or April. Got a rain storm coming so I'm keeping the fingers crossed that the road salt will get washed away!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Me too. I'm already getting real jumpy thinking I might not be able to ride until March or April. Got a rain storm coming so I'm keeping the fingers crossed that the road salt will get washed away!
It has to be rough.
I'd for sure go stir crazy.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Ouch.. Damn door frame jumped right out in front of you. I saw it call the insurance company.

·
Registered
274 Posts
They build some pretty narrow garages out there in Cally?

·
Founding member
564 Posts
I believed the whole story up to the part where you went into the bus through the drivers window. You know you're way too big to fit through there. You probably made the whole thing up. Such a tall tale, and only a few days before Christmas.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts