1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
407 Posts
It would be worth it to me to have a cooled seat by any technology. I can go further in the winter than I can in the summer so anything to alleviate the seat heating up from the engine is fine by me. My 2020RM seat is also uncomfortable to sit on after about 50 miles or so. Thinking about replacing it or having it redone anyway.

·
Bronze member
1,952 Posts
Looks interesting

Indian claims brings unique heating and cooling seat technology to the motorcycle industry. Indian says the seat is already shipping to dealers, and available on its web site. 16 models (dating back to 2016) allow installation of the new seat. The price of the seat is $1,199.99.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
The lack of comfort in the stock seat makes me wary of spending that kind of money on a seat from the OEM.
My Corbin has been great for 3-1/2 years now. And the leather has held up very well.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have the Corbin Fire and Ice seat. In temps between 70 and 90 or so, the seat feels cool...kinda like sitting in a puddle of cold water (not ice cold), but you are dry. Ambient temp over 90, it pretty much just keeps the heat from the engine from radiating through the seat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,961 Posts
The lack of comfort in the stock seat makes me wary of spending that kind of money on a seat from the OEM.
My Corbin has been great for 3-1/2 years now. And the leather has held up very well.

And as of now they are only offering the "classic seat" no mention of tall rider, etc.

·
Rider
620 Posts
It baffles my mind that someone will pay $2k for a motorcycle seat.
Especially when they stole the idea from Corbin, who is the ONLY seat motorcycle seat maker who's already been doing this, but also who makes a 4 times better seat at half that price. My heated/cooled seat with the backrest cost me like 1200.

Indian couldn't make a comfortable seat to save their lives and they think charging that much for one is going to make people's minds blow?

I have the Corbin Fire and Ice seat. In temps between 70 and 90 or so, the seat feels cool...kinda like sitting in a puddle of cold water (not ice cold), but you are dry. Ambient temp over 90, it pretty much just keeps the heat from the engine from radiating through the seat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Exactly this. Even over 90's it's still a blessing. Basically just cancels out the heat coming up and while you still sweat a bit, it's not like your balls are dangling over a campfire.

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
Especially when they stole the idea from Corbin, who is the ONLY seat motorcycle seat maker who's already been doing this, but also who makes a 4 times better seat at half that price. My heated/cooled seat with the backrest cost me like 1200.

Indian couldn't make a comfortable seat to save their lives and they think charging that much for one is going to make people's minds blow?

Exactly this. Even over 90's it's still a blessing. Basically just cancels out the heat coming up and while you still sweat a bit, it's not like your balls are dangling over a campfire.
If you read about the seat it seems like new tech. There are no fans in this seat. So I don't think it is stealing anything from Corbin.

So having the Fire and Ice seat do you hear those fan motors? I am a big fand of Mike and Corbin for all the support for so many years. And I like that they are down the road in Hollister and I can have seat molded to my ass and mounted on the bike 4 hours after I arrive at the factory.

I just am leary of the fans making noise...

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If you read about the seat it seems like new tech. There are no fans in this seat. So I don't think it is stealing anything from Corbin.

So having the Fire and Ice seat do you hear those fan motors? I am a big fand of Mike and Corbin for all the support for so many years. And I like that they are down the road in Hollister and I can have seat molded to my ass and mounted on the bike 4 hours after I arrive at the factory.

You can hear the fans when the engine and radio are off. When the bike is moving, I don't notice it at all.

·
Rider
620 Posts

They're not loud. You'll only hear them running when you give the bike power. Soon as you start up you don't hear it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It would be worth it to me to have a cooled seat by any technology. I can go further in the winter than I can in the summer so anything to alleviate the seat heating up from the engine is fine by me. My 2020RM seat is also uncomfortable to sit on after about 50 miles or so. Thinking about replacing it or having it redone anyway.
Jim, you have to break your new seat in! It usually takes 1200-1600 miles. My OEM RM seat was unaltered riding out west last year. When I had my seat back recovered, I also had them do a Gel pad or Pro Pad installed. It's really quite comfy now! Send it to Alligator Bob for the Pro Pad installation! It's money well spent!

The heat is a different issue. Can't help you with that other than what you and Bandit are talking about!

Isn't the Corbin Fire & Ice seat using a Peltier cooler and fans with blowing air thru a ducted seat? At least that is how they explain it on their website. The Climacooled seat looks like pads installed in the seats the both heat and cool.

I'd like to know more info for certain!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Jim, you have to break your new seat in! It usually takes 1200-1600 miles. My OEM RM seat was unaltered riding out west last year. When I had my seat back recovered, I also had them do a Gel pad or Pro Pad installed. It's really quite comfy now! Send it to Alligator Bob for the Pro Pad installation! It's money well spent!

The heat is a different issue. Can't help you with that other than what you and Bandit are talking about!
The bike is now at 4500 miles and the seat is no better. My 16RM tan seat was way better than the one on the 20RM. In fact, so much more so that I wasn't even contemplating an aftermarket seat. The 20RM version of the heated/cooled seat is not even ready at this point. I'm definitely contemplating getting it once it comes out but I'm leery of a new seat and how comfortable it is going to be so I'm in a wait and see mode now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I knew you were past the break in point, just how far, I wasn’t sure! Mine came to me with 18K miles on the odo! It was ok & at 3/4 of a tank I’d get squirmy in the seat! But would power thru the last 50 or so miles!

I haven’t noticed that squirminess since getting my seat back! But I also haven’t been in the saddle all day without breaks either! It’s about 3 hrs to empty the tank on the interstate.We’ll know soon enough though!

I’d still recommend having gel pad installed in your seat though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a complete set of leather at Alligator Bob’s! (Trunk, bags, seat and ordered matching mud flaps, tank panel) waiting to see the ideas he has for them! Beads, bone pipes, spots, conchos, black buffalo hide is the material. Pro pads for rider and passenger are on the seat already.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to hear from someone who has the seat and used it for at least 300 miles. I'm fine with the technology but I'm more worried about the comfort and it would be worth it to me to get it. I spoke with someone at our dealer and he said sure you can demo the bike that had installed and I just laughed at him. I'm a long distance rider and a 5 mile demo ride ain't going to cut. I may just buy it anyway if they can let me return it. My average day trip is usually close to 300 miles and I'll know the comfort it has after that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I bought one and here's my story...

Installation: When I ordered the seat for my 20RM 2884559-VBA (Classic Seat Black), it was done under the assumption that the proper harness was in the kit to make it work with Ride Command II, as in show up in the display when in use. I Installed it without instructions as the website states that the instructions were included in the box. They weren't and I couldn't find them at that time anywhere. The Rogue seat had instructions so I used those hoping it was going to be similar. The harness included was 2415866 which is a 4 (seat) to 2 (bike) connector. As a student of electronics I was wondering at the time 'How do the bike know?' about the seat as it seems all I was doing with that connector was using it for power. I imagined the power and magic of CANBUS would make it show up......it didn't. :mad: So back to the dealer with a 'What's up with this?' question. At that point the answer was it's supposed to work.

Well, I had a service coming up and asked them to check on why the seat wasn't communicating to Ride Command II. When I came to collect the bike, they had since found out that it needed another connector harness 2415332 (Harness-Under Seat H/C V3) and that they had ordered it for me. I picked it up today and Lo and Behold, it now shows up.

Review: In the dealer's defense, they had contacted Indian before I ordered that seat and they said everything was included with the seat kit. Of course, since then, they found out otherwise. I have not done more than about 20 miles in one sitting on the seat since I bought it as the weather has not been as cooperative as I would like. However, those 20 miles were fine and no issues as far as seating goes. Not much of a test but that's all I got.

I have attached the instructions to install the seat kit that I have since found on the Polaris website. Interestingly enough when I filter with my RM, it says it doesn't fit the bike....:rolleyes:

So the moral of this story is that if you have a 20+ RM with Ride Command II, you really need harness 2415332. I should have taken a picture of that but all it is, is the large cable that plugs into the cable coming from the bike to the back of the bike with a 4 pin connector for the seat itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 Bronze Bobber, '21 Bronze RMDH(Ordered...)
42 Posts
I have my '21 RDH sitting at dealer. We were looking at the seat today and it seems to be a gel seat and way better than the standard seat on the DH models. I won't get any ride time on it for at least a week. Has anyone got any miles on one yet?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts