Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought one and here's my story...

Installation: When I ordered the seat for my 20RM 2884559-VBA (Classic Seat Black), it was done under the assumption that the proper harness was in the kit to make it work with Ride Command II, as in show up in the display when in use. I Installed it without instructions as the website states that the instructions were included in the box. They weren't and I couldn't find them at that time anywhere. The Rogue seat had instructions so I used those hoping it was going to be similar. The harness included was 2415866 which is a 4 (seat) to 2 (bike) connector. As a student of electronics I was wondering at the time 'How do the bike know?' about the seat as it seems all I was doing with that connector was using it for power. I imagined the power and magic of CANBUS would make it show up......it didn't. :mad: So back to the dealer with a 'What's up with this?' question. At that point the answer was it's supposed to work.

Well, I had a service coming up and asked them to check on why the seat wasn't communicating to Ride Command II. When I came to collect the bike, they had since found out that it needed another connector harness 2415332 (Harness-Under Seat H/C V3) and that they had ordered it for me. I picked it up today and Lo and Behold, it now shows up.

Review: In the dealer's defense, they had contacted Indian before I ordered that seat and they said everything was included with the seat kit. Of course, since then, they found out otherwise. I have not done more than about 20 miles in one sitting on the seat since I bought it as the weather has not been as cooperative as I would like. However, those 20 miles were fine and no issues as far as seating goes. Not much of a test but that's all I got.

I have attached the instructions to install the seat kit that I have since found on the Polaris website. Interestingly enough when I filter with my RM, it says it doesn't fit the bike....:rolleyes:

So the moral of this story is that if you have a 20+ RM with Ride Command II, you really need harness 2415332. I should have taken a picture of that but all it is, is the large cable that plugs into the cable coming from the bike to the back of the bike with a 4 pin connector for the seat itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Spending time on the forums means that you’ll learn more than the collective knowledge available at a dealer. Heck the Polaris rep at the demo days didn’t even know that the 2020+ thunder strokes had the new high flow heads. Oh well. Thanks for the post. It was a fun read.

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
231 Posts
At that point the answer was it's supposed to work.
Haha! Software engineer, here. When I submit a bug report, my favorite response is "well, that should work." And I reply, "Yep...I agree...it should work, but it doesn't. Let's find out why..."

I'm looking forward to future reports on both the heating and the cooling actions of that seat. I'm sure the butt warmer is great, so mostly interested in the butt cooler for those long rides in Summer.

Thanks for the great post!

Reactions: Greg Abell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I bought one and here's my story...

Installation: When I ordered the seat for my 20RM 2884559-VBA (Classic Seat Black), it was done under the assumption that the proper harness was in the kit to make it work with Ride Command II, as in show up in the display when in use. I Installed it without instructions as the website states that the instructions were included in the box. They weren't and I couldn't find them at that time anywhere. The Rogue seat had instructions so I used those hoping it was going to be similar. The harness included was 2415866 which is a 4 (seat) to 2 (bike) connector. As a student of electronics I was wondering at the time 'How do the bike know?' about the seat as it seems all I was doing with that connector was using it for power. I imagined the power and magic of CANBUS would make it show up......it didn't. :mad: So back to the dealer with a 'What's up with this?' question. At that point the answer was it's supposed to work.

Well, I had a service coming up and asked them to check on why the seat wasn't communicating to Ride Command II. When I came to collect the bike, they had since found out that it needed another connector harness 2415332 (Harness-Under Seat H/C V3) and that they had ordered it for me. I picked it up today and Lo and Behold, it now shows up.

Review: In the dealer's defense, they had contacted Indian before I ordered that seat and they said everything was included with the seat kit. Of course, since then, they found out otherwise. I have not done more than about 20 miles in one sitting on the seat since I bought it as the weather has not been as cooperative as I would like. However, those 20 miles were fine and no issues as far as seating goes. Not much of a test but that's all I got.

I have attached the instructions to install the seat kit that I have since found on the Polaris website. Interestingly enough when I filter with my RM, it says it doesn't fit the bike....:rolleyes:

So the moral of this story is that if you have a 20+ RM with Ride Command II, you really need harness 2415332. I should have taken a picture of that but all it is, is the large cable that plugs into the cable coming from the bike to the back of the bike with a 4 pin connector for the seat itself.
I have a 2020 RM DH and it looks like I stumbled on the same problem. I plugged the adapter harness into the 2 pin from the bike and thought this was strange. After re-assembly I saw that I had power to the seat, but it doesn't show on the Ride Command screen. Needless to say I guess I need to go back to the shop and tell them I need the 2415332 harness (4 pin to 4 pin connection). What a disappointment.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2020 RM DH and it looks like I stumbled on the same problem. I plugged the adapter harness into the 2 pin from the bike and thought this was strange. After re-assembly I saw that I had power to the seat, but it doesn't show on the Ride Command screen. Needless to say I guess I need to go back to the shop and tell them I need the 2415332 harness (4 pin to 4 pin connection). What a disappointment.
You need the 4 pin to 4 pin harness 2415332 dakota450. I had the same issue. That also integrates it into RC.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Jim. After further research, turns out the seat I bought is not a "ride command" compatible seat. It is part #2689476-VBA. I bought it used on this forum and it was even advertised as 2884559-VBA for sale. It only has a 2 pin harness on the seat and after doing some digging, I figured it out. Needless to say, I am not very happy.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me the comfort level of the seat is similar to stock. I start squirming a bit around a 100 miles or so but that was the same with stock on my RM. My wife says the same for the passenger portion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts