Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Clearview recurve shield in for my Chief, and the holes for the bolts are much larger than the stock Indian hardware. Anybody else install a Clearview on a Chief or Springfield, and run into this issue? Did the stock hardware hold it in place ok, or did you purchase different hardware? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got my Clearview recurve shield in for my Chief, and the holes for the bolts are much larger than the stock Indian hardware. Anybody else install a Clearview on a Chief or Springfield, and run into this issue? Did the stock hardware hold it in place ok, or did you purchase different hardware? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 606240
Other than the hole size, do you think it's even the right part? My ClearView was a simple r&r.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Too funny I received and installed my Clearview on my Road King last night same deal and was kind of a pain in the ass to install needing those little black spacers

Reactions: BigBendTX

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than the hole size, do you think it's even the right part? My ClearView was a simple r&r.
Clearview sent no hardware. The holes are cut in the right spots, but they are larger diameter. On the stock hardware from Indian is much smaller than the holes in the Clearview, and I am afraid the shield will slip down while I am riding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too funny I received and installed my Clearview on my Road King last night same deal and was kind of a pain in the ass to install needing those little black spacers
What was your solution? I am having a hard time finding hardware to take up the space around the bolts. I live 2.5 hours from the nearest large city so we don't have huge well stocked hardware stores nearby.

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,366 Posts
wow!
With holes that size you would think they would supply some sort of spacers
Did you call them and ask them what you are supposed to do with something like that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow!
With holes that size you would think they would supply some sort of spacers
Did you call them and ask them what you are supposed to do with something like that?
Yes. Guy said he had the same shield, and didn't change the spacer size, and it works fine. It just looked sketchy to me, and I am about to log 2000 miles next week. The last thing I need is a windshield dropping down or sitting sideways!!!

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,366 Posts
I can tell you that you dont want those bolts holding shield super tight
Can also say with certainty that the amount of slop you have with the bolts in the those holes with just washers, even if the washers cover holes will allow screen to move over time that amount of gap in the holes between bolts
When will this happen? You guess is as good as mine but for sure it will move and downward because of gravity and weight of screen
The only way to limit that movement is with some kind of spacer in those over sized holes.
This is a piss poor setup what you are showing here
I would never put on like that
With that amount of slop in there you are correct with your thinking that it could move down and turn

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can tell you that you dont want those bolts holding shield super tight
Can also say with certainty that the amount of slop you have with the bolts in the those holes with just washers, even if the washers cover holes will allow screen to move over time that amount of gap in the holes between bolts
When will this happen? You guess is as good as mine but for sure it will move and downward because of gravity and weight of screen
The only way to limit that movement is with some kind of spacer in those over sized holes.
This is a piss poor setup what you are showing here
I would never put on like that
With that amount of slop in there you are correct with your thinking that it could move down and turn
Agreed!!! I won't install it unless I can find suitable spacers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its things like this that made me pass on Clearview and go with Fredomshields.

Reactions: BigBendTX

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its things like this that made me pass on Clearview and go with Fredomshields.
There were definitely issues. They need to do a little more QC work. Two of the holes were slightly off making it a bear to install. Here is my hardware solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts