Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not everything is real chrome on the Indian, before I start polishing it what should I look out for so I don't damage what's not real chrome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Chrome polish on the real chrome and Chrome polish on the not real chrome. ??? I'm not really sure what's proper to use. I treat my chrome same as my painted surfaces. Cleaner to clean then wax or polish.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I use chrome polish on all the chrome and it does well with no issues.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I use turtle wax chrome polish and I know I have used it on plastic that was chrome looking, if that makes sense ?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,053 Posts
I've used bar keepers friend on chrome. Gives a nice deep luster.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't use any of the chrome polishes. They are all too abrasive. Just use soap and water. This chrome will shine up just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Don't use any of the chrome polishes. They are all too abrasive. Just use soap and water. This chrome will shine up just fine.
Soap & water is fine, but all chrome polishes are not abrasive. Polishes treat the outer surfaces enhancing & protection it. I have used these quality products for over 40+ years and never have I had one damage my chrome. Key word quality products.

·
Super Moderator
4,852 Posts
I think @Big Daddy had an issue where he sprayed a chrome cleaner on the "fake chrome" (starter button bezel) and it wrinkled up. Might send him a PM if you want more/better detailed info. Just going off the top of my head this morning without any coffee. [hungover]

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I think @Big Daddy had an issue where he sprayed a chrome cleaner on the "fake chrome" (starter button bezel) and it wrinkled up. Might send him a PM if you want more/better detailed info. Just going off the top of my head this morning without any coffee. [hungover]

Yep, sure enough.
At the time I thought it might have been a result of using an oil based chrome polish.
Since then I have read several reports of this chrome bezel flaking chrome with just soap and water cleaning.

I do like the idea of using a non abrasive polish.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The chrome is peeling on the lower part of my kick stand. Never touched it with chrome cleaner, so that's not the issue. Sometimes it is the nature of the beast during the chrome process.

Didn't report it to the dealer, because I could care less due to location. I did see a custom leather shoe made for this, plan to make my own.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Soap & water is fine, but all chrome polishes are not abrasive. Polishes treat the outer surfaces enhancing & protection it. I have used these quality products for over 40+ years and never have I had one damage my chrome. Key word quality products.
Please humor me. Use the best chrome polish on one part of your chrome and warm soap and warm water next to it. Use 4 fiber towels. One to apply and one to shine each surface. Check out the the shine. As far as protective coatings supplied by these polishes the chrome doesn't need it. It is plenty strong enough to protect itself. If you don't believe me call a chrome shop dedicated to show quality chrome and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Please humor me. Use the best chrome polish on one part of your chrome and warm soap and warm water next to it. Use 4 fiber towels. One to apply and one to shine each surface. Check out the the shine. As far as protective coatings supplied by these polishes the chrome doesn't need it. It is plenty strong enough to protect itself. If you don't believe me call a chrome shop dedicated to show quality chrome and see what they say.
I looked at lots of different sites about cleaning chrome. The one below explains it in the best
simple terms.

How to Clean Chrome - How to Clean Things

If you opened the site it explained as Paul said soap & water works just fine without chrome polishes. The only thing it shows is the chrome polishes are quicker in the cleaning process. Polishes on other sites explain how the polish leaves a protective film.
Bottom line chrome polishes are not required based on my research. Thanks Paul!

Hand washing with warm soap and water is how I clean my bike (air blower to dry). As for me I will continue to use my polish. Old dog who likes the tricks he knows and trust, with decades of good results.

Your bike, your choice! Now you know the rest of the story. :D

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've been using hd chrome polish for years as I think it's the best I've tried. It's safe on ss and plastic chrome and it leaves a real nice clean glow on the chrome after polishing it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What should be used to remove my boot rubber from my exhaust? Noticed Saturday evening my foot getting hot during my ride. Stopped at a buddy's and we were talking about her/drooling on her and he pointed out my melted boot soul on the pipe. So now I've got hot boot and cold beer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What should be used to remove my boot rubber from my exhaust? Noticed Saturday evening my foot getting hot during my ride. Stopped at a buddy's and we were talking about her/drooling on her and he pointed out my melted boot soul on the pipe. So now I've got hot boot and cold beer.
plenty of elbow grease:mad:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
How did you burn your boot on the pipe, it's under the floorboard?
It depends on how much rubber you have on your pipe on how to clean it. Post a pic or describe and we can maybe suggest the best way.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts