Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you remember last year (2019) the Jack Daniels Springfield was based on the new 2020 Springfield design.

Well as many know, the Jack Daniels 2021 Roadmaster dropped, and it has the 2019+ fairing (Harley Style) with driving lights. Is this a sneak peak on how the 2021 Roadmaster will look. Money is its a good chance the classic fairing is gone. Polaris doesn't like to have multiple SKU #s

Untitled-1.jpg

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
I don't think so. I see many buying brand new bikes with the older fairing, but I think the colors will be limited.

The JD bike is the new Roadmaster Darkhorse decked out as an elite...

I think Indian knows they have a huge following for the old style too and many of those guys have 6 year old bikes and may want to trade-in for a new lower mile bike. So why cut them off? It makes no sense. I wont buy a Chief model with cut fenders, slammed bags, HD copy cat taillight, and HD looking fairing.

But I will buy a Chieftain with the classic looks one day or another Springfield with the fenders when I want a bigger engine.

Time will tell....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you remember last year (2019) the Jack Daniels Springfield was based on the new 2020 Springfield design.

Well as many know, the Jack Daniels 2021 Roadmaster dropped, and it has the 2019+ fairing (Harley Style) with driving lights. Is this a sneak peak on how the 2021 Roadmaster will look. Money is its a good chance the classic fairing is gone. Polaris doesn't like to have multiple SKU #s

View attachment 600708
They could be. Less and less Indian models are using the classic fairing.

I hope they aren’t phasing it out though. I still prefer it over the new styled faring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think it’s just a roadmaster darkhorse. It’s got the fairing and the seat that the roadmaster darkhorse already had for 2020 and the regular roadmaster still had the classic style fairing. So I wouldn’t rule out them getting rid of the big fairing just on this.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the Locomotive faring's are going away. The Challenger sold and is selling very well. Not a classic Indian design.
The Chieftain base model might also be going away. Many that buy it, seem to update it with NAV and all the other goodies.

The majority of bikes selling are the new faring designs. I see Indian slowly phasing out the classic Vintage designs and moving more into the modern designs moving forward. The Vintage bikes don't sell well anymore.

I have the locomotive faring on my 2018 and like it. But the JD Roadmaster with the driving lights looks really good. The driving lights seem to make that fairing look much better.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it’s just a roadmaster darkhorse. It’s got the fairing and the seat that the roadmaster darkhorse already had for 2020 and the regular roadmaster still had the classic style fairing. So I wouldn’t rule out them getting rid of the big fairing just on this.

True, but if you know Polaris, I could see than not wanting to make 2 different types of fairings or three with the Challenger. But I guess we will see in September or late October or hopefully before the world ends next year....LOL

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yep your right

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am getting older and like the old style. I Hard for a old dog to learn new tricks. I would not be surprised if they keep both styles as the HDRM, RM elite plus RM. Polaris has to accomadte for the younger generation although none of us oldies are no going anywhere except down the road on two wheels

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree, dubious about spot ights on side mounts. I had a HD Heritage with similar style lights and these broke tice through vibration. Usually averaged 80,000km and 2 sets of lights. If Indian bring out this style front end they will probably bring out a water cooled motor also

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think the Locomotive faring's are going away. The Challenger sold and is selling very well. Not a classic Indian design.
The Chieftain base model might also be going away. Many that buy it, seem to update it with NAV and all the other goodies.

The majority of bikes selling are the new faring designs. I see Indian slowly phasing out the classic Vintage designs and moving more into the modern designs moving forward. The Vintage bikes don't sell well anymore.

I have the locomotive faring on my 2018 and like it. But the JD Roadmaster with the driving lights looks really good. The driving lights seem to make that fairing look much better.
They are selling less bikes with the classic fairing design because in 2020 you can’t get a 116 engine with the classic fairing design unless you buy a Roadmaster. No wonder the classic fairing design doesn’t sell as well. Limiting the classic faring to mainly the 111 engine (except for the Roadmaster) Polaris is intentionally phasing it out.

But that’s just my opinion.....

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are selling less bikes with the classic fairing design because in 2020 you can’t get a 116 engine with the classic fairing design unless you buy a Roadmaster. No wonder the classic fairing design doesn’t sell as well. Limiting the classic faring to mainly the 111 engine (except for the Roadmaster) Polaris is intentionally phasing it out.

But that’s just my opinion.....

I agree, with the exception of the Roadmaster, the Chieftains and Roadmaster Dark horse bikes are selling much better than the Locomotive fairing bikes. The Locomotive fairing bikes are loved and hated. Many non Indian owners I have met and spoken with love the new fairing and told me that would buy a Roadmaster (full version) in a heartbeat if it had the modern fairing. The Darkhorse Roadmaster is really a Chieftain with the trunk and lowers.

The problem you have with multiple fairing designs is how many of each to make. I see Indian phasing out the classic designed bikes and every now and then offer up a few classic designs as limited retro models just like Icon series and Elites.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
The locomotive fairing was really something different, there was no mistaking it, and no mistaking it was not anything but an Indian. It was one of the "Chief" reasons I bought a CDH. The new fairing looks too much like H-D for me, and the Challenger is an optical disaster. I will be sad if they lose it at some point though, but I have the bike I want (thankfully pre-“ride command” ) and all is good.

·
Silver member
3,643 Posts
The Classic series, considered icnonic by many, won't go away unless sales approach zero. That isn't happening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see everyone refers to the new RM darkhorse front fairing as a HD clone. It actually is a real close clone to the Victory Cross Country fairings. That has a lot to do with why I chose it. I think the vintage fairing has a great style that is unique and I hope they keep producing it.

·
Registered
95 Posts

View attachment 600708

That does seem to follow Polaris logic as of late, which would also mean (to me at least) that the valenced fender would go away too as I don’t think it would go well with the newer fairing. It would look like a hodgepodge. I suppose they could offer the old fairing and fender as accessories if people wanted to have two different looks, provided the fairings could be easily interchanged.

And looking at the photo you posted, this is the first time I think the newer fairing actually looks like Harley’s fairing, which is due to both the angle of the photo and the driving lights on that JD model.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see everyone refers to the new RM darkhorse front fairing as a HD clone. It actually is a real close clone to the Victory Cross Country fairings. That has a lot to do with why I chose it. I think the vintage fairing has a great style that is unique and I hope they keep producing it.

Actually the Locomotive fairing and Indians Modern faring are very similar. All they did was pull the node out more and make the lines more square. When you actually compare the new Indian Fairing to the Harley batwing, thet are mot similar. And the Victory cross country is not even close to any of them. More like a wedge triangle

1760959b-1dbd-47c8-a297-88b1416bc73b.jpeg Indian 1.jpg Indian 2.jpg Street Glide 2.jpg Street Glide.jpg Victory.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
I expected the classic fairing to de discontinued when the new one came out. I’m surprised it wasn’t discontinued for ‘20.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The locomotive fairing was really something different, there was no mistaking it, and no mistaking it was not anything but an Indian. It was one of the "Chief" reasons I bought a CDH. The new fairing looks too much like H-D for me, and the Challenger is an optical disaster. I will be sad if they lose it at some point though, but I have the bike I want (thankfully pre-“ride command” ) and all is good. View attachment 600758
“Optical disaster” is the best phrasing for this (Challenger) that I’ve seen. Totally agree.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts