Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have number 360 of the first 1901 and the bike has developed a clanking rattle under power. The dealer I purchased it from has had it a couple of time only to hand it back and say everything is fine. Since they gave it back to me I have narrowed it down to not doing it with the clutch pulled in or in neutral at any RPM. Reengage the clutch and clank returns.
Anyone out there with a similar experience? The bike has no loss in power and doesn't have any clutch slippage.
Hope to get some insight as I've own a lot of bikes in nearly 40 years and the only time I ever heard something similar was a buddy's Barrett clutch on a '54 Panhead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the same clanking rattle but on mine it only does it when I am starting out and it does not do it every in every gear. It almost sounds like something is loose but I cannot find anything that is loose. I am having my 5,00 mile service done next week and will have them try to find the noise.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have noticed the same clanking rattle but on mine it only does it when I am starting out and it does not do it every in every gear. It almost sounds like something is loose but I cannot find anything that is loose. I am having my 5,00 mile service done next week and will have them try to find the noise.

No Worries mates, this engine makes noise, its even way quieter in 4th and 5th gears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that the valve train on this motor has a lot of chatter, however, the clanking and castanet chatter are progressively more pronounced and go away with the" "pulling in" of the clutch. You can rev the motor to any RPM with the clutch in and hear no sounds other than the top end chatter of the valve train. I was hoping that mine isn't the only one doing this, not to wish this upon anyone else.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Ya'll , I would check belt tension and make sure nothings interfering in the guard. What kind of noises can you get with engine stopped and rocking bike back and forth in gear? Nothing of note on this one yet but the valve clatter. Cheers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a very faint tink tink noise that i would imagine is coming from the valve train on startup. Maybe the oil is getting there right away. I also think it's accentuated because of aluminum heads, I am not worried in the least. My 90 suzuki intruder made a lot more noise and it never cost me a dime in the 25k miles I owned it. Very similar engine, being air/oil cooled and self adjusting valves (can't figure out how to spell hydraulics lifters and am too lazy to find dictionary).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish it was so simple. My next try will be with the bike on the jack in gear to try and hear it close up off the bike as it only does this in gear. It's going to show up sometime as something breaks or comes apart.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Does it happen in neutral?

Burt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
N o, neutral and pulling in the clutch has no noise. It can be making the noise and you engage the clutch and it immediately goes away, let out the clutch and it immediately returns.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay.. I've found the issue after 4 techs from Wagner motorsports in Worchester rode the bike. They all said it was normal but the clanking was there.
I had bought a J&S jack with the indian adapters so I decided to put the bike in the air, cranked it up, put it in second gear and revvained it to about 3,000 RPM. Let off the throttle determined the squeak was coming from the belt at the tranny and the clanking from the drive belt. It seems that engaging the clutch took the torque or load off the belt and the noises would stop. Did this several times to confirm. Shutdown the bike, adjusted the belt per the service manual, cranked it up, no noise... took it for a test ride, no noise. Took it for a 50 mile ride, no noise... after cool down, checked he belt again, checked the true of the belt in th he sprocket, all good. Thought I saw a rock... in the thread, had picked up a nail... but no noise except g or my expressing my feelings about getting a nail with only 6k on the tires, oh well, no noise
New tire tomorrow! !

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out and thanks for reporting back on what the problem was.
We are all learning as we go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
had the same thing happen on my chieftain at 50 miles brought back and found belt loose noise went away now have 2000 miles still no noise and my valve noise is still way less than my 2011 flhx

·
Registered
13 Posts
That issue sure sounds like the problem I had with my Voyager for some time....On the Voyager, it was a whinnng sound, long story short, the belt was way too tight..Many on the forum said to loosen the belt but the dealership would not do it, said it was at the specs, at 4.5mm at 10mm tension on the belt...I took it to a buddy who races bikes, we adjusted it 5 times to 17mm slack at 10mm tension and no whinning...I was told on the forumthat if I didn't loosen the belt, it would damage the gears...35,000 miles and noooooo whinning....Now, when I go back for a new rear tire, I'll have to fight with them about the 4.5mm Kawi specs...May need to find a different shop..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
i had that problem they say its normal mine is a clicking noise. If i start off in a higher rpm it does not do it weird.

·
Super Moderator
4,852 Posts
Okay.. I've found the issue after 4 techs from Wagner motorsports in Worchester rode the bike. They all said it was normal but the clanking was there.
I had bought a J&S jack with the indian adapters so I decided to put the bike in the air, cranked it up, put it in second gear and revvained it to about 3,000 RPM. Let off the throttle determined the squeak was coming from the belt at the tranny and the clanking from the drive belt. It seems that engaging the clutch took the torque or load off the belt and the noises would stop. Did this several times to confirm. Shutdown the bike, adjusted the belt per the service manual, cranked it up, no noise... took it for a test ride, no noise. Took it for a 50 mile ride, no noise... after cool down, checked he belt again, checked the true of the belt in th he sprocket, all good. Thought I saw a rock... in the thread, had picked up a nail... but no noise except g or my expressing my feelings about getting a nail with only 6k on the tires, oh well, no noise
New tire tomorrow! !
Curious John, did the dealership do your 500 mile service? I believe drive belt check and adjust are a part of that service. What mileage do you have currently?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They did but the first clanking noise didn't start until about 2500 to 3000 miles. I learned this morning from my new dealer of choice that the belts on the Indians are stretching a great deal in that 500 to 3k mile range.

·
Super Moderator
4,852 Posts
LMAO!! Yeah, I guess so!! Good to know, will keep an eye on the drive belt for sure!! Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the Vintage. Put 2000 miles on it this week. It has developed a noise that sounds like shaking a drawer of loose silverware. Bike runs great. Finest display of smooth power I have experienced. Will check in to noise when I get home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts