Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I road down to Rolling Thunder this year with a small group, 3 air cooled bikes and 4 water cooled bikes. Got stuck in bad traffic for over an hour in 100 degree heat. Needless to say the 3 air cooled bikes overheated including mine which started smoking and shut off. Pushed the bikes off the highway and let them cool down for over an hour then started back up and continued our ride. Noticed right away that the bike didn't sound the same. A lot of noise coming from what sounds like the cams, air intake or maybe the cylinders. Not totally sure where it's coming from but it is definitely loud. Took the bike to the dealer and they checked everything and said nothing was wrong with it. Was going to have them chang the oil but they said oil was clean and didn't need changing. The clacking noise usually starts at about 2400 rpms.
Any suggestions from the mechanics on here. The noise I'm hearing makes for a less than enjoyable ride

·
Rider
773 Posts
If the temperature was that hot and you sat for that long , your oil viscosity was probably zero , like water. That would explain the clatter.
Remove the dipstick and put your nose near the opening , if it smells burnt , you could have scored a cylinder.

·
Rider
958 Posts
You are aware of the clacking complaints on earlier Polaris Indians, right? Was most prevalent at 2500-3500 RPMs. What year is yours? Those complaints are about bikes making that noise direct from the factory of course. Not from quiet bikes that get noisy after overheating.

I’d suggest changing oil & filter regardless of the dealers evaluation. (Can’t hurt). If that doesn’t help you might be looking at internal damage. Maybe a second opinion? Is there another dealer near you?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try that sandspur. Do I need
You are aware of the clacking complaints on earlier Polaris Indians, right? Was most prevalent at 2500-3500 RPMs. What year is yours? Those complaints are about bikes making that noise direct from the factory of course. Not from quiet bikes that get noisy after overheating.

I’d suggest changing oil & filter regardless of the dealers evaluation. (Can’t hurt). If that doesn’t help you might be looking at internal damage. Maybe a second opinion? Is there another dealer near you?
Taking the bike back to the dealer in a couple of weeks. They said they can take out the spark plug and put a camera scope down to see if there is any cylinder scouring. I'll have them change the oil at the same time. If there is scouring, they'll probably have to tear down the engine which will probably end the riding season for me. Although there is another dealer in my area, I trust my dealer and will give them another shot at solving this issue. Thanks for your insights

·
Bronze member
2,752 Posts
Man I gotta ask.you sat at an idle in 100 degree heat for an hour?I think taking the right or going up the middle would be a better choice.moving violation is usually cheaper than an engine.

·
Bronze member
2,809 Posts
I tend to agree with wrugen….. but I still would try changing the oil and see how it goes... the oil is fried no doubt and if you told your dealer the whole story I'm surprised they didn't change it... if the cylinder(s) are toast you can either 1. run it the rest of the riding season, 2. put a 116 kit in 3. trade the bike

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
The oil is toast for sure. As is any oil after an over heat event in air cooled machines.. especially considering the break down of oil and is ability to reduce friction and thus heat part of what brings on "over heating" when it loses it ability to do its job.. wow. I'm floored dealer didn't change it..

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I'll try that sandspur. Do I need

Taking the bike back to the dealer in a couple of weeks. They said they can take out the spark plug and put a camera scope down to see if there is any cylinder scouring. I'll have them change the oil at the same time. If there is scouring, they'll probably have to tear down the engine which will probably end the riding season for me. Although there is another dealer in my area, I trust my dealer and will give them another shot at solving this issue. Thanks for your insights
Maybe time for the 116?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I’m not surprised with the smoke, oil gets very thin when hot. Just because it smoked doesn’t mean it burnt. Change the oil to see if it still clacks, and save that oil in case you need to analyze it. I expect it to still clack, but let’s hope not. If it does, something changed.

Burt

·
Rider
957 Posts
My bike never clacked until after installing the f*cking Stage 2 Cams. Just saying, So definitely something changed, but maybe not necessarily as ominous as expected. Hopefully it just joined the clacker clan.

This should be the name for the next Indian cruiser: Indian Clacker

·
Registered
60 Posts
Piston to wall clearance probably now out of specs- presto, instant clacker, just like the factory delivered thousands of them!

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I tend to agree with wrugen….. but I still would try changing the oil and see how it goes... the oil is fried no doubt and if you told your dealer the whole story I'm surprised they didn't change it... if the cylinder(s) are toast you can either 1. run it the rest of the riding season, 2. put a 116 kit in 3. trade the bike
The other fact is that if the bike is covered by warranty then that may be your best chance of a rebuild should you need it. I would not stress too much until you have got the correct answer.I also agree with what your going to do by changing the oil and would be looking at a hi quality Synthetic oil as it is more heat resistant as mentioned above. Please keep us informed on your out come.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
My bike never clacked until after installing the f*cking Stage 2 Cams. Just saying, So definitely something changed, but maybe not necessarily as ominous as expected. Hopefully it just joined the clacker clan.

This should be the name for the next Indian cruiser: Indian Clacker
When you did the cams did you just leave the generic Indian tune or do something like a PVCX? I am a strong believer of a tuner like the PVCX and custom tune to optimise the engine running and keeping it as safe as you can,I know the 111 is a strong engine but generic tunes are just that. Not saying this would be your problem .I just would like to know if it is part of it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man I gotta ask.you sat at an idle in 100 degree heat for an hour?I think taking the right or going up the middle would be a better choice.moving violation is usually cheaper than an engine.
Construction on both sides, no where to go. Was turning bike on and off the whole time. Bike still overheated

1 - 20 of 84 Posts