Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loving my Scout. I'm interested in fitting some alternative bars. I tried the OEM mini apes but I don't like the look of them on the bike.

What I really like is the curved, swept back bars like the early Fatboys used to carry :

It's particularly the turned down, slightly not horizontal bar ends I like, not too high like apes and not too low like beach bars. The best description I can find on Google is chumps...not a term I know.

Firstly, is there any technical reason I can't fit them? Does the brake reservoir have to be horizontal, for example? I know that some people hate the looks and think the handling is compromised but I don't want anything too extreme. Still, if anyone has any firm views against them -for example, that the rake angle and fork length on a Scout doesn't lend itself to chumps, I'm happy to hear them.

If they can be fitted, will they be easy to find? Is the bar diameter, width etc for a Scout difficult to match. Can I even use a set of early Fatboy bars if I find

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it looks like the images I found did not upload in my OP. Pesky iPads...these are the bars I've got my eye on....

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Loving my Scout. I'm interested in fitting some alternative bars. I tried the OEM mini apes but I don't like the look of them on the bike.

What I really like is the curved, swept back bars like the early Fatboys used to carry :

It's particularly the turned down, slightly not horizontal bar ends I like, not too high like apes and not too low like beach bars. The best description I can find on Google is chumps...not a term I know.

Firstly, is there any technical reason I can't fit them? Does the brake reservoir have to be horizontal, for example? I know that some people hate the looks and think the handling is compromised but I don't want anything too extreme. Still, if anyone has any firm views against them -for example, that the rake angle and fork length on a Scout doesn't lend itself to chumps, I'm happy to hear them.

If they can be fitted, will they be easy to find? Is the bar diameter, width etc for a Scout difficult to match. Can I even use a set of early Fatboy bars if I find

Thanks

Alex
@Frosty check out www.indianaftermarket.com @Marcus a supporting vendor makes some wonderful beach bars. IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0564.JPG

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

What I really like is the curved, swept back bars like the early Fatboys used to carry

Thanks

Alex
What you call 'Chumps' might really be Buckhorns. Buckhorns are what I'll ultimately put on the Scout.

These are from Flanders:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you call 'Chumps' might really be Buckhorns. Buckhorns are what I'll ultimately put on the Scout.

These are from Flanders:

Awesome, yeah, that's them! At the extremes, beach bars, mini apes, buckhorns and chumps are easily distinguishable but I've always struggled to say when, say, a short mini ape turns into a buckhorn with short grips, or when a narrow beach bar becomes a set of chumps, etc. It's only a name, I guess - anyway whatever they are called, that's exactly what I am looking for.

Only snag is that these bars are 1" and the Scout needs 7/8" bars at the controls (and 1" at the clamps. Thanks Polaris!)...which means I guess I need some 7/8" bars and a shim or a friend with a welding torch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks....always keen to support supporters...unfortunately these beach bars are not really what I am looking for.

By the way, that is a sweet looking seat you have on your bike there. I went with a Mustang runaround because the stock seat is like sitting on a park bench. The Runaround is definitely better except in one respect: it is more slippery than an eel in olive oil. Twice this morning I cracked the accelerator (and not hard, I'm still running her in!) and the bike and I moved rapidly in opposite directions.....

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks. I wouldn't call them buckhorns, so I'll probably go with Flanders.
So did those Buckhorn Flanders work out? I am still adjusting my Scout to try to mimic the reach on a previous bike that was ergonomically comfortable for my stature and I need more pullback then the RR have. The narrow Buckhorn Flanders seem to have 4 more inches-not sure how that will affect the style but comfort over style?...anyway...were you able to use them on the Scout since they are 1 inch and not 7/8?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
So did those Buckhorn Flanders work out? I am still adjusting my Scout to try to mimic the reach on a previous bike that was ergonomically comfortable for my stature and I need more pullback then the RR have. The narrow Buckhorn Flanders seem to have 4 more inches-not sure how that will affect the style but comfort over style?...anyway...were you able to use them on the Scout since they are 1 inch and not 7/8?
I hadn't the chance to get them or mod/install. I've had a lot of family stuffs this past year.

And now, considering the cost of buying the Flanders and modifying & rechroming, I'm now considering modifying my spare set of Scout OEM bars into Buckhorns. I figure 6 inches on the rise and turn the handles in an inch would do it. Then all the cables & mounting work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hadn't the chance to get them or mod/install. I've had a lot of family stuffs this past year.

And now, considering the cost of buying the Flanders and modifying & rechroming, I'm now considering modifying my spare set of Scout OEM bars into Buckhorns. I figure 6 inches on the rise and turn the handles in an inch would do it. Then all the cables & mounting work.
You obviously have a very useful skill set. Not an option for me or mine so I will have to depend on dealer help with this.
Hope life soon gets you back into relaxing outlets like bike mods... I am still trying out options to make the Scout as comfortable post ride as my Honda Rebel was- Not giving up yet. I find it weird though that something not measured or considered with reach of handlebars is the relationship to your seat position. Maybe I am missing this and it is called something already in moto speak...In my head I'm calling it "grip to gut"...sorry that would be grip to "abs." ... big deal for comfort and triggering post ride discomfort. The Rebel was 7 inches which was perfect for my size/height and the Scout is 13 with RR bars and seat. I'm trying to make up the difference a bit. Here's the reply I was hoping for: "easy fix-compatible, worked like a charm and they come in black".
I do hope your modifications work as planned and you can get to it soon! Thanks for responding so quickly and giving me reality!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You obviously have a very useful skill set. Not an option for me or mine so I will have to depend on dealer help with this.
Hope life soon gets you back into relaxing outlets like bike mods... I am still trying out options to make the Scout as comfortable post ride as my Honda Rebel was- Not giving up yet. I find it weird though that something not measured or considered with reach of handlebars is the relationship to your seat position. Maybe I am missing this and it is called something already in moto speak...In my head I'm calling it "grip to gut"...sorry that would be grip to "abs." ... big deal for comfort and triggering post ride discomfort. The Rebel was 7 inches which was perfect for my size/height and the Scout is 13 with RR bars and seat. I'm trying to make up the difference a bit. Here's the reply I was hoping for: "easy fix-compatible, worked like a charm and they come in black".
I do hope your modifications work as planned and you can get to it soon! Thanks for responding so quickly and giving me reality!
I apologize if I gave you the impression I would be doing the cutting & welding myself. I would have someone do that.

·
Bronze member
1,886 Posts

Thanks

Alex
I have to inform you that the OEM Scout/Scout 60 handlebars can be raised or lowered to change the grips to a more comfortable position.
And very easy, plus there is NO COSTS involved in this modification.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If it is confort you are looking for and you are willing to pay and don't mine the looks then the HELI bars may be a good option.

HeliBars® Horizon™ multi-axis adjustable handlebar system for Indian Scout - HELIBARS

This is what I did and never looked back. Very easy to dial in. ( I only adjusted twice and just can't imagine adjusting again.) I also really like the way they look with the swept curved bars. And they are black.

mgg

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it id confort you are looking for and you are willing to pay and don't mine the looks then the HELI bars may be a good option.

HeliBars® Horizon™ multi-axis adjustable handlebar system for Indian Scout - HELIBARS

This is what I did and never looked back. Very easy to dial in. ( I only adjusted twice and just can't imagine adjusting again.) I also really like the way they look with the swept curved bars. And they are black.

mgg
Definitely looks like a possibility. I checked out the website but I can't find the specifics of what the maximum reach is..the risers go to 4 inches plus whatever the handlebar is...
If it id confort you are looking for and you are willing to pay and don't mine the looks then the HELI bars may be a good option.

mgg
Definitely a possibility-thank you for the suggestion. I checked out the website but I can't find the specifics of what the maximum reach is..the risers can add up to 4 inches plus whatever the handlebar tube is...but can't find the length of the overall reach of the tubes. We have tried all the adjustment possibilities with raising the bars, adjusting the grips etc. and have the angles down, I just need them 4 inches closer to my body.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Definitely looks like a possibility. I checked out the website but I can't find the specifics of what the maximum reach is..the risers go to 4 inches plus whatever the handlebar is...

Definitely a possibility-thank you for the suggestion. I checked out the website but I can't find the specifics of what the maximum reach is..the risers can add up to 4 inches plus whatever the handlebar tube is...but can't find the length of the overall reach of the tubes. We have tried all the adjustment possibilities with raising the bars, adjusting the grips etc. and have the angles down, I just need them 4 inches closer to my body.
I think @Alpal has the heli bars and can give some first hand info on them. I'm sure hell chime in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts