Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Chrome plating levers or replace with takeoffs

454 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Ridgeracer
I recently acquired some take-offs from eBay for front brake and clutch lever. It looks like they are polished aluminum, not chrome. I suppose I naturally assumed that all the levers for this bike were chrome, but when I look at the part numbers I see there are two parts, one says ”chrome”.

Product Font Line Rectangle Parallel

My question is should I get these aluminum ones plated chrome locally or just find takeoffs that are chrome.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Bronze member
1,866 Posts
With the adjustable wheel assembly in the lever on the brake side, it would be a bit of work to re-assemble. Most likely have to clearance the plating to get everything back together. Another option would be to go through the process of polishing them. I did this years ago on a Victory as a winter project and they looked great and stayed that way for a few years until I re-did the process. Took about an hour for each lever each time and saved me the headaches going hte chroming route.

Just another thought - many chromers don't really like small batch items like this, so you will likely have to wait until they have enough of a batch to start the process.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Local shops say about 10 day turn around. Not sure about that dial piece. It does not seem to have high tolerances. If anyone has take-off levers, I would also consider a deal as well. I have the Kurakyn levers currently on the bike, they are beautiful, but I don’t care for the concavity where the fingers pull the lever.

· Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
584 Posts
Have you looked at PSR levers?

Reactions: teleman001

· Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
584 Posts
True, but the look, adjustability, and the feel are worth it, IMO

Reactions: teleman001

· Bronze member
2,888 Posts
I had not looked at those. They look nice. Im not trying to sound cheap but these are still near $300 for 2 levers.
Buy from biohazard cycles. The cheapest you will find for them. And the adjustability for both levers is great.

Also I checked. My Oem levers are also aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I polished these things with some Mothers and got a nice mirror finish as JoeGopher discussed. They look great, but still don’t match the chrome on the rest of the bars. The thin chromium layer creates the slightly bluish tone we love.
Silver Wood Nickel Jewellery Metal

Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts