Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got my wrinkled fender strips replaced on my 2018 Vintage. They were covered under the warranty, which expires towards the end of April, but my dealer said that after March 19th, 2020 strips won't be replaced under warranty any longer (some sort of service advisory, whatever that means).

·
Rider
985 Posts
So are you saying that if I take my bike in for a warranty claim for the chrome strips after March 19th that Polaris will deny it even though I still have a year left on my warranty?

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
So are you saying that if I take my bike in for a warranty claim for the chrome strips after March 19th that Polaris will deny it even though I still have a year left on my warranty?
I can't say for sure, but if you still have a factory warranty that still has the original 2 years you are probably okay. Its the older bikes, I assume, need to be done by March 19th. Indian issued a carte blanche warranty last year for all bikes 2014-current to replace the chrome strips with the 3rd generation as needed on all bikes.

But at some point, the 2014-2018 bikes have to be cut off. It only makes sense.

Honestly, you can just buy a roll at any auto parts store and do it your self every 10 years as they wear out from sun, road grime, and rocks hitting your fenders...

Reactions: A-58

·
Rider
985 Posts
I can't say for sure, but if you still have a factory warranty that still has the original 2 years you are probably okay. Its the older bikes, I assume, need to be done by March 19th. Indian issued a carte blanche warranty last year for all bikes 2014-current to replace the chrome strips with the 3rd generation as needed on all bikes.

But at some point, the 2014-2018 bikes have to be cut off. It only makes sense.

Honestly, you can just buy a roll at any auto parts store and do it your self every 10 years as they wear out from sun, road grime, and rocks hitting your fenders...
Thank you for the info. Mine still look pretty good but I did notice my left rear had a bit of wrinkling and it is covered by the hard bag most of the time so I am not really too worried about it. Thanks again for the clarification.

·
Rider
985 Posts
Oh and on the new chrome strips IIRC I thought I read somewhere that the new strips were supposed to be preformed or something like that. Any confirmation?

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Oh and on the new chrome strips IIRC I thought I read somewhere that the new strips were supposed to be preformed or something like that. Any confirmation?
No they are not preformed. They show up in a roll and wrinkle just like the olde ones.

·
Rider
551 Posts
No they are not preformed. They show up in a roll and wrinkle just like the olde ones.
Unfortunately that is correct. There was a bad run of the stuff that ended up wrinkling. Apparently the supplier “fixed” the issue but it’s the same plastic chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was told that even though my original two year warranty runs until the end of April, had I taken it in after March 19th the strips would NOT have been covered. I did not purchase the additional warranty/plan.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately that is correct. There was a bad run of the stuff that ended up wrinkling. Apparently the supplier “fixed” the issue but it’s the same plastic chrome.

It was definitely more than a bad run. The wrinkling issue went on for years and I saw brand new bikes on dealership floors that already had wrinkled strips, especially the one on the front of the rear fender on the left side.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
It was definitely more than a bad run. The wrinkling issue went on for years and I saw brand new bikes on dealership floors that already had wrinkled strips, especially the one on the front of the rear fender on the left side.

More of a bad design. There are 2019 and 2020 bikes on show room floors with the wrinkles. You can't chrome plastic and then bend it and expect it to last. The best way to do the stips is to use preformed cast aluminum or steel (more expensive) and that would last forever but that is too expensive.

·
Rider
985 Posts
Appreciate the responses. For me if the new strips are going to do the same thing them what's the point. As I said for me.

To take my bike in and have some ATV mechanic remove and then put on new strips that may or may not wrinkle like the original then I will not be doing it. Couldn't they damage the paint? So far my front ones still look good and I don't see any wrinkles. I guess that I will do them myself when or if that time comes.

Thanks again for the replies.

I wonder if the aftermarket would step up and make a set of preformed chromed metal ones. I would be up for purchasing them. Chrome plated metal trim used to be on just about every car. Now it is all plastic chrome. But the car chrome holds up well.

They also make a chrome paint that I have seen on youtube that looked really good when done. It was not on the plastic chrome strips that we have but on another plastic piece like a cover for another bike/car. Looked like real chrome when they were done. I wonder if that would be a good fix for the strips. Form them and then paint them with the chrome paint?

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Appreciate the responses. For me if the new strips are going to do the same thing them what's the point. As I said for me.

To take my bike in and have some ATV mechanic remove and then put on new strips that may or may not wrinkle like the original then I will not be doing it. Couldn't they damage the paint? So far my front ones still look good and I don't see any wrinkles. I guess that I will do them myself when or if that time comes.

Thanks again for the replies.

I wonder if the aftermarket would step up and make a set of preformed chromed metal ones. I would be up for purchasing them. Chrome plated metal trim used to be on just about every car. Now it is all plastic chrome. But the car chrome holds up well.

They also make a chrome paint that I have seen on youtube that looked really good when done. It was not on the plastic chrome strips that we have but on another plastic piece like a cover for another bike/car. Looked like real chrome when they were done. I wonder if that would be a good fix for the strips. Form them and then paint them with the chrome paint?

A lot of the Japanese V Twins did use preformed plastic chrome and it lasts forever. Kind of disappointing that Polaris used the cheap auto zone route of 3m chrome stripping. It is peeling on my 2018 behind the saddle bags and I am just leaving since you can't see it anyway with the bags on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A lot of the Japanese V Twins did use preformed plastic chrome and it lasts forever. Kind of disappointing that Polaris used the cheap auto zone route of 3m chrome stripping. It is peeling on my 2018 behind the saddle bags and I am just leaving since you can't see it anyway with the bags on.
I had a Yamaha Virago, it was about 15 years old and lots of plastic chrome all of which look as good as new!
My Springfield`s chrome strips are not too bad to be fair.

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
It's 3m chrome strip,any auto parts store will have it.20 bucks for a twenty foot rol.you can get gold as well.
I have changed mine a couple of times.very easy,just pull it off.
New stuff is self explanatory.

·
Rider
551 Posts
Agreed. That’s why “fixed” is in quotes. Would love to see aftermarket stainless steel strips.

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
Dunlop tires 401 have been linked to accidents and will be subject to a class action suit .
Just a heads up,seems cord seperation is the cause.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a VTX 1300 that had some plastic chrome covers on the engine or trans. One of those, the bigger round one, had a big bubble on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I finally got my wrinkled fender strips replaced on my 2018 Vintage. They were covered under the warranty, which expires towards the end of April, but my dealer said that after March 19th, 2020 strips won't be replaced under warranty any longer (some sort of service advisory, whatever that means).
I took my Springfield to the dealer to get a rear piece of chrome replaced. The tech told me he was going to replace all the fender chrome front and rear at no charge. He said nothing about a time limit to get it replaced. Hey, I’m a satisfied customer!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just had my fender strips done last Sunday. I was told that March 23rd was the deadline for the replacements. It would have cost $600 if I had to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
They should still be covered under warranty, if your warranty is still active. Also, there is a new part number for the front strips, so Indian may have fixed the issue. I had mine replaced under warranty last July, along with the fender, and so far there are no wrinkles.

Reactions: MilwDave
1 - 20 of 60 Posts