Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The chrome "paint" around the black starter button has peeled away in places, quite noticeable. After 1000kms this seems like a flaw. Do you think it's worth a warranty claim or should I re-paint it somehow? I think it's plastic.

·
Silver member
3,153 Posts
Hi IM,
I believe this has been covered on previous threads.
IMHO, it absolutely is a warranty issue, unless it occurred due to operator error or misuse or improper cleaners (which is probably not the case).
I must admit, I'm a little baffled by some owners' responses to warranty issues as being something they will just go ahead and fix themselves. I've spent almost 25k on a beautiful bike, and I expect it to be warranted. I'm not a wrencher and I have no interest in doing my own repairs or maintenance, but I do understand that some folks enjoy that stuff....just not me.

·
Founding member
2,170 Posts
Very common problem that, as Hardball said, has been addressed in other threads. It is covered by warranty, although a few people have opted to just paint the one they have. I had mine replaced and have no problems with the replaced ring.

·
Founding Member
673 Posts
Mine lasted just shy of a year before it started to peel, thought I had a good one. Cleaned all the chrome off-it's just black plastic. Actually decided to leave it like that, it looks fine on a black bike. I did however file a warranty claim in case they come out with a better trim ring down the road - Dan

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Yep, I'm on my second one.
The first was replaced under warranty.
Now this one is flaking.
Yes, it is disappointing. It is right there center stage like a zit on the nose of a beauty queen.
Every single person who steps up to admire my bike ends up asking me about it.

I'm sure they would replace it again....and again....and again?
Instead, I'll just dress it up and paint it and it will be fixed once and for all.

It's chrome plated plastic.

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Mine lasted just fine for 2 years. Didnt think I was going to have this issue. Bike sat at the dealership for a different issue for 8 weeks. When I picked the bike up, the chrome ring was all bubbled and flaky. The service guy came out, took pictures and sent in a request for warranty replacement. Indian said "Nope". Their excuse...I'm in the extended warranty period, and only powertrain issues are covered.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've got a 2015 Vintage. The chrome is starting to peel off the ring. I'm out of warranty so that's really not an option. Besides, Indian already turned me down on replacing the faded gas gauge needle (grr). Anyway, I'm thinking of painting it willow green or cream to match my paint.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,059 Posts
The first one one my 2015 RM lasted about 2 months before getting it replaced. Last year the chrome started flaking again. This time I'll just paint it black.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts